Sign in to follow this  
jmig

FPS and CPU/GPU loading in PD3 V4.1

They are the same, but there is a very subtle difference as I explained:

26 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Things can pan out slightly differently but not that it's going to make any difference. Since if the jobscheduler is looking at the next LP to start a process when we have HT enabled the next LP may be on the next core or just on the next LP of the same core.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What you're asking is there any reason to do 11,11,11,01 rather than 11,11,11,10.

There's not, maybe.

32 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Since if the jobscheduler is looking at the next LP to start a process when we have HT enabled the next LP may be on the next core or just on the next LP of the same core.

And so what? I know what - I feel totally miserable!! ))

Really need a practical example of what is said above. What is the subtle difference in that?

Does anybody besides Steve understand the above quote?

Many thanks!!

Edited by Dirk98

Depends on what's already running before and what's running after.

Often you will see someone say 11,11,11,01 worked better than 11,11,11,10, and then there's someone else that will say it worked better changing the other way around when in fact it should be more or less the same.

Why's that happening? Reason is because the jobscheduler picks slack places to fill with process and that might pan out slightly differently with the sim on 10 or 01. When the sim loads up the main process might be slacker than the other processes during loading a scenario and there's a weather engine loading up...

So if we don't bother starting addon exe apps off of the first core the sim encounters then those addons will most likely use up cores the sim lays itself out on so set it up solid and the uncertainty is reduced.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

And so what? I know what - I feel totally miserable!! ))

What you're asking is like; how a handful of beans will be arranged after dropping on the table. I'm saying: depending on the hardness of the materials and gravity, you'll get a varying spread of beans.

:laugh:

• Upvote 1

By 'slack' you mean less busy, don't you? 

Let's take 11 11 11 10 as an example. 

31 minutes ago, SteveW said:

When the sim loads up the main process might be slacker than the other processes during loading a scenario and there's a weather engine loading up...

What main process do you mean here? The one that some call "P3D's main thread"?

Anyway:

Case 1:

Let's take the main process is slacker than the other processes during loading a scenario and there's weather engine loading up. We have 11 11 11 10 allocation, so what happens?  

Case 2:

Let's take the main process is slacker than the other processes during loading a scenario and there's weather engine loading up. We have 11 11 11 01 allocation, so what happens?

I really need to dig it at last, once and for all.

Thank you!!

Not much - when you boil it down like that - but that's not realistic, those beans...

Just now, SteveW said:

Not much - when you boil it down like that - but that's not realistic, those beans...

but you always suggest 10 rather than 01 (first core)

Please!! ))

22 minutes ago, SteveW said:

What you're asking is like; how a handful of beans will be arranged after dropping on the table. I'm saying: depending on the hardness of the materials and gravity, you'll get a varying spread of beans.

:laugh:

It is called the "The Uncertainty Principle" and it has driven generations of Physics researchers mad..

What Steve is saying is: "It depends..."  :cool:

Bert

The behaviour generally is to move to the next LP when the LP looks busy so as to find a slacker place to start a process. Depending on where you are the next LP might be one assigned to the sim on the same core or actually the LP of another core.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

It is called the "The Uncertainty Principle" and it has driven generations of Physics researchers mad..

What Steve is saying is: "It depends..."  :cool:

I got that part very well. The Uncertainty Principle rules our universe.

But please why does he rather suggest 10 than 01??

Thanks,

Just now, SteveW said:

The behaviour generally is to move to the next LP when the LP looks busy so as to find a slacker place to start a process. Depending on where you are the next LP might be one assigned to the sim on the same core or actually the LP of another core.

Finally got it, thank you so much!!

Igor.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

but you always suggest 10 rather than 01 (first core)

Please!! ))

That's so funny.

Which ever way I put it there's a merry band of followers - "SW says 01", "no SW says 10"

Hehe!

4 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

I got that part very well. The Uncertainty Principle rules our universe.

But please why does he rather suggest 10 than 01??

Thanks,

I do not know, but I have a suspicion that the Windows scheduler will put its housekeeping work on the first logical processor that is available (and it may just possibly start counting at 0).  So leaving the first logical processor free invites Windows to put it's work there..

Just a guess... like where do I put this mouse trap so that the mouse is going to eat the bait..

Bert

It treats all cores and LPs in a round robin way and core zero might not be the first considered by the algorithm. In other words each core is equal.