Sign in to follow this  
jmig

FPS and CPU/GPU loading in PD3 V4.1

1 hour ago, maggussje said:

Hi Bert,

Thank you for your input. However, autogen works sometimes, even at higher altitudes and even at cruise level. But it's not reliable at all. So I guess it's not a conscious decision made by LM...

I told you about "slewing" because it makes things reproducible for me, and by increasing the speed, you can easily see when the rendering and/or the drawing of the objects can't keep up with the speed of the plane anymore (which is something I totally get).

However, I sometimes don't have any autogen even at lower altitudes and/or speed, I think something gets "stuck" in the queue of the scheduler or somewhere else. Something sometimes seems to trigger P3D to empty the queue and I can see autogen even at cruise level for a couple of minutes, after an hour without seeing anything. Usually it then disappears again, of course...

Cheers

If you have a situation like that, try saving the scenario and reloading it.

That usually clears a "stuck" scenery loading situation (at least for me..).

Also, I find that leaving fps set to unlimited does a better job of powering through bottlenecks than limiting the fps, however strange that might seem..

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you have a situation like that, try saving the scenario and reloading it.

That usually clears a "stuck" scenery loading situation (at least for me..).

Also, I find that leaving fps set to unlimited does a better job of powering through bottlenecks than limiting the fps, however strange that might seem..

Unfortunately, both are not an option for me: I can't reload a scenario during a flight on VATSIM and by setting the fps to unlimited, I lose autogen immediately and forever. The latter is not even an exaggeration... Only by limiting the fps to 30 fps (or below) gives me autogen to the extend I described before in this thread.

Regarding posting this in the prepar3d forums: there are several threads where people describe similar issues. However, the people at LM are quite quick in closing threads if they think they heard all of it.

Link 1 (P3D Forum)

Link 2 (P3D Forum)

Looks like you are not alone... and LM appears to be listening..

I cannot help but feel that some users (not you..) in these posts are demanding that they should be able to move the sliders to the right, even when it is causing problems for them. 

It is an age old adage that you can overload any system by adding addons and higher settings to flightsim.. I guess I am lucky that I am not running into these problems - possibly by using more conservative settings (?)

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

Water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

• Upvote 1

Bert

15 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

using more conservative settings (?)

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Listen to Bert. Have a look at those settings - for example world texture resolution:  1m - setting this high will introduce problems. Start with 1-2m get the other world  stuff dialled in then try higher but 1m should be good for most flying.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Don't listen to Bert Lol. Extremely dense scenery with high building autogen count in London/Heathrow area would blow my home fuse box. So it also depends on where you are going to fly. In my case I have:

Scenery = High

Autogen building / vegetation = Medium

yet LOD = 5.5 (a notch higher than High)

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Don't listen to Bert Lol. Extremely dense scenery with high building autogen count in London/Heathrow area would blow my home fuse box.

And that’s why LM provided us with the ability to create and save Profiles to be used as changing circumstances dictate. Switching profiles is very easy and I’m really surprised more don’t take advantage of this facility instead of struggling with a one-fit-all setup. I am assuming that, like me, Bert has a profile for general flights, but I’m sure we will both acknowledge that this will not be suitable for every situation. 

When you are out in the sticks you can enjoy running with much higher settings. At a busy hub in a complex a/c then a significantly more conservative setup is necessary to achieve acceptable performance. Instead of constantly fiddling with the sim’s settings spend a little time creating a few Profiles to suit your needs, hardware and flying habits.

Mike

29 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Don't listen to Bert Lol. Extremely dense scenery with high building autogen count in London/Heathrow area would blow my home fuse box. So it also depends on where you are going to fly. In my case I have:

Scenery = High

Autogen building / vegetation = Medium

yet LOD = 5.5 (a notch higher than High)

Cheers,

Depends on your point of focus. To me, increasing Autogen simply means increasing the object count, that's kind of self evident we need to adjust that to suit the hardware and our preferences. That's all easy to understand.

But we all have to lay down the tiles whatever we want and that's what I was talking about.

17 minutes ago, SteveW said:

But we all have to lay down the tiles whatever we want and that's what I was talking about.

Yes, 1m texture resolution is almost general standard in P3D.

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Yes, 1m texture resolution is almost general standard in P3D.

Rather than gloss over it, what I am saying is that when looking at graphs, increasing that setting of the terrain bunch brings a point which introduced a notch or sawtooth to the flow. What I recommend is starting with 2m.

• Upvote 1

Science is soo boring! Whereas 1m looks much better :D

Thanks.

: )

Just to be clear, what I'm trying to push is that adjusting autogen is like adjusting your fps, whereas going below 2m is adjusting the erratic behaviour of the flow. As I said about how to think of it earlier when I said some things affect the fps directly so it's a waste of time looking at that. Instead i look at the overall behaviour and smoothness of the sim - a good result there may give you less fps per-se.

I got what you said. In my case with my current settings Textures @1m, Scenery dense and Autogen medium if I increase Autogen I start seeing terrain hiccups rather then reduced FPS.

Thanks,

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

I got what you said. In my case with my current settings Textures @1m, Scenery dense and Autogen medium if I increase Autogen I start seeing terrain hiccups rather then reduced FPS.

Thanks,

..because of the changing amount of autogen for the given scene - it is still an altering "amount of objects" that's the issue there.

Anyway, going back to the OP, I'm not sure how good is slewing for scenery observations. I've always seen blurries and missing objects in slew mode starting even at lower speeds like 160, let alone @400 knots.

Yes, slewing can properly tax the system. Performance should be adjusted to the type of flying as Mike suggested. General flying I can go down to 19-20 locked, but with gliders constantly turning means I need more performance 30+ fps turn down the settings rather than try to find an impossible setting for it.