Sign in to follow this  
Dean33

Considering Scan Laptop for P3D V4. Few questions.

I'm consider a new flight sim laptop and have a couple of questions. I'm pushing my limit on price so don't want to upgrade further unless essential. 

Scan Computers. 3XS LG17 Vengeance. Specs are below my questions. Thanks!

Is 250gb SSD big enough for Windows 10 plus P3DV4? Leaving everything else on a 1tb hard drive?

I would prefer NOT to add Nvidia Gsync for about £130. I don't currently intend using extra screens very often. Is Gsync a nice option or an essential?

Scans reviews are outstanding and they are very local to me. They offer 7 day support. Does anyone have feedback on them or their laptops for FSX P3D? Overheating? Problems? 

I’m currently using low settings on a 2.2ghz (3.0ghz turbo) laptop and inferior Radeon 7550m GPU.  I have to use a laptop due to mobility and lifestyle.  I’m not expecting perfection from this new laptop but hope this system will give a few years of good performance at above average settings? Any opinions please  

Thanks. 

Dean

Thin and light laptop
17.3" 60Hz Full HD (1920 x 1080) screen
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i7 7700HQ Quad Core 2.8ghz Turbo max 3.8ghz 
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 64bit & 2 Year Premium Warranty
418.5 x 288.7 x 29.9mm,

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-lg17-vengeance

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I can't comment very much on simming with a scan laptop but i have used my scan laptop playing witcher 3 with it and had no overheating issues at all 

It's about 3 years old now and still works flawlessly. However.

If you are going to order by phone or deal with them by phone they are word not allowed.

I have had nothing but aggro everytime I've used them when getting stuff this way and where pretty poor.

I ended up on one occasion having to deal with there head of sales 

I know someone else who has dealt with them and had no issues, so it might have just been my bad luck (3 times) it all got sorted but think you should be aware.

I found there stuff to be well made and works ok,there laptops are made by someone else and then branded by them so I see no issues if you did buy one from them,if they are local to you then probably best do it face to face 

Rgds

Pete Little

On 10/21/2017 at 3:04 PM, Dean33 said:

I light laptop
17.3" 60Hz Full HD (1920 x 1080) screen
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i7 7700HQ Quad Core 2.8ghz Turbo max 3.8ghz 
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 64bit & 2 Year Premium Warranty
418.5 x 288.7 x 29.9mm,

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-lg17-vengeance

You will probably be bottlenecked by your CPU. I have a very similar config, 17-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX 960M and 12GB RAM. P3D still depens mainly on Single Core clock speed, so 2.8GHz wont really run it well. 

I manage to get around 20-25fps in the VC with the PMDG NGX in clear skies. This is with settings turned down pretty low and no DL. Anything beyound light clouds and frames drop to below 10.

I would suggest either going for a 7700K or the i5-7600K as the CPU. They have a higher base clock speed and run P3D much better. Have you taken a look at any Clevo resellers in the UK ? They build laptops with desktop components and are very very competitvely priced. 

1 hour ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Have you taken a look at any Clevo resellers in the UK ? They build laptops with desktop components and are very very competitvely priced

Thanks. These are Clevo machines. Does that make it better?

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

39 minutes ago, Dean33 said:

Thanks. These are Clevo machines. Does that make it better?

I also use a laptop as my go to computer due to my job. The reason I suggested Clevo is because they are the only manufacturers I found who make laptops with desktop parts. Here in SG, their laptops are atleast 25% lesser than their MSI counterparts. The cherry on top is that CPU&GPU are also upgradable at a later date, which is rare in a laptop. A very little known fact is that Alienware were originally a Clevo reseller before Dell bought them out.

OS and P3D on one drive?  If you use a bunch of addons forget it.  I have 120 GB for just my OS (but a lot of software installs junk to the C: ) and it's almost full.  I've got P3D and XP11 on a 500GB and I'm  nearly out of space there.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Folks,

Personally - I think the best bang for your buck performance wise still comes from CPU clock speed - unless you absolutely have to have a laptop - I'd move to a small desktop - even one of those cute little micro AT boxes - as there is no way a laptop can properly cool an OC'd CPU... If you build your own - that gives you more cash for better hardware...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7