Sign in to follow this  
SO666

pmdg dc-6 my setup and training videos

Hi.

Over the last couple of days, i have done two training videos on the DC-6 , for those that have not flown it before .

The fist video shows my basic FSUIPC setup including how i managed to get 4 throttles set up , and my mods including a checklist i made , and mods to my aircraft.cfg file for the checklist to show and new and modified vc views for my trackIR5.

1/. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183668264

2/. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183901900

If PMDG give the go ahead for these mods to be made public then i will let every one know the details.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Alan,

FYI. These would not play for me with either Firefox or Internet Explorer 11. I don't have a twitter account and don't know if I need to have one.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Hi Ted.

When the CXA VA i fly for started useing TWITCH TV , i also had a black screen , i also use firefox browser , you need to download and install ADOBE VIDEO PLAYER ADD ON, for firefox ,free to download and install.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Thanks Alan. I'm surprised a message didn't appear that said that. Instead i just got a "failed to load" message.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

@SO666

provided you only release the sections of your cfg you modified you aren't infringing on the PMDG IP. I have been mucking with the xplane aircraft settings have made mods for the Aerosoft twin-otter as well. do not release the entire file, rather quote the sections and data you changed if you want an example see my thread for xplane as an example

Hi Crash Tronic.

The aircraft.cfg is not the problem , as i would only supply the modified bits with instructions to installing ectra , the bit i need permission on is the checklist htm file i made , as i initially copied it from the manual in the operators hanbook then got rid of the lines that had deleted by the number , renumbered the rest , then modified the proceedure by adding panel numbers so you knew which panel had the switch / light / gauge on for that check .

This aircraft is so complex , that it needs a checklist , it could also benifit from a ref doc , showing how to set fuel transfer ectra , why PMDG never included these items baffles the hell out of me , to be honest THEY should rectify this oversite , by ADDING these lines in the aircraft.cfg file below each texture file.

kb_checklists=DC-6_check

kb_reference=DC-6_ref

and include a DC-6_check.htm and DC-6_ref.htm files.

Then we would not need to do these things .

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Hi.

Today is training video no 3 covering take off cruise landing from KBUR to KSAN .

On climbout on AP i did not pay enough attention and allowed speed to drop , and a stall ensued , i left this in the video to show how easy it is to stall , and what i had to do to regain control , dont make the same mistake , this was a cargo flight , so no pax to scare .

3/.    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/184472950

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Hi.

Todays training video i use the AFE for most of the flight , and my conclusion is not good , as far as i am concerned , i will not be using nor can i recommend the use off the AFE , too many faults make him usless , and you are prone to damageing all your engines due to the way he controls things and i wish he was more like the A2A connie engineer , i congratulate PMDG for giving us an AFE in the first place , but i fear in his present state , he is usless , and needs a complete rework , to be of any use with out damageing the engines , i will be flying this aircraft without the AFE untill such time as he is reworked so he becames a usful crew member you can trust.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185491765

regards alan.

Alan Cottrill.

Hi there!

I've watched some parts of your video, and I have some suggestions for improvement. First, you didn't use all available power for takeoff. MAP-limit for dry-takeoff is (according to the manual) 55". When you look closely on your MAP-gauges, you see a red line at 53", I always use this reference for dry-takeoffs. For wet-takeoffs with ADI on, you can go all the way to the second red-line which is at 59.5" (check for green ADI-lights after passing about 55"). Time limit for both takeoff-powersettings is 2 minutes. So as soon as you have reached an adequate climb speed (125-135 knots) and you are clear of obstacles, you should reduce to METO-power, which means slowly reduce throttles to about 48" and decreasing RPM to 2600 (which should result in a BMEP of about 196). I for instance reduce the throttles slowly to about 48", then reduce RPM to 2600, and then adjust throttles to get those 196 BMEP. The next thing is, your RPM-settings on climb and on approach were way too high. Maximum RPM for normal climb is 2400 RPM at a BMEP of 165. Every setting higher than that over a long period of time will wear down your engines faster, and (according to the power-chart in the POH) is for emergency-use only. For the climb, I first reduce throttles to about 40" MAP, then reduce RPM to 2400, and then adjust throttles to get a BMEP of 165. Then while climbing, I adjust throttles continuously to remain at a BMEP of 165. My normal criuse-altitude range is between FL140 and FL170, which can be reached without switching blowers to high. For approach, the RPM-setting is also 2400, and not full forward. You advance the the prop-pitch lever to full forward while decelerating on the runway. In case of a go-around, you can go for METO-power by increasing the RPM to 2600 and slowly move the throttles forward until you get a BMEP of 196. 

Then your throttle adjustments are very violent. This isn't a jet with FADEC, wher you can hammer the trottles full forward on takeoff and the computer does the rest, because there is none. Its just a cable connecting the throttle lever to the throttle-valve of the carburetor. These are huge piston-banging, supercharged engines with thousands of moving parts. And they don't like fast powerchanges, in real-life they would sputter and or backfire and maybe even quit on you when you push or pull the throttles too fast. Also when changing from cruise- to descent-power, you shouldn't decrease faster than 3" per minute to prevent shock-cooling the engines (which again decreases the life-time).

No worries, I also damaged some engine while learning this beast. But you will get better every flight. I for example now have about 30 hours on the engines without using the AFE (which is indeed sometimes a bit quirky), and they're still in a nice green shape. I've also crossed the pond in the Six last week, that was fun!

Regards,

Hi.

Thanks for the advice , but i read in the poh 12000ft is change from low to high the connie is 16000ft , secondly on take off from KBUR i had 50% fuel and full cargo , this ment i had to use wet takeoff and the green lights came on before brake release, once airbourne and clear of obsticals i cleaned the aircraft up in level flight as speed built up before climbing again , i also have CH throttle quads and they have a short throw , so least bit of movment on levers can move the aircrafts throttles a little quicker than i would like , also twitch tv can at times distort things a bit , the actual throttle movment in reality was not that great.

The only times i have damaged the engines is when i used the AFE and when i was setting up my controls over the first two or three flights , while trying to find the limits , and yes the more you fly the better you get , and still a lot to learn.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.