Sign in to follow this  

Flight1 folder in root C: drive

When I installed Ultimate Traffic Live I specifically told it to NOT install things into the root of my C: drive but in a folder of my D: drive. Most files were indeed placed into that D: drive folder but the Flight1 installer created a folder in the root of my C: drive anyway and put a .lic file in it. This file is needed to tell UTL I have a license. However, I don't want that folder in the root of my C: drive! It's however impossible to change this.

I think it is very odd and strange that Flight1 installs stuff where I don't want it and that you can't change that. (I have to add that I find the whole way of installing things and reinstalling things with that Flight1 wrapper is a bit complicated and not intuitive.)

Anyone knows how I can move that folder from my C: drive and still have UTL see that .lic file somewhere?

Just move it anywhere. As far as I know it is only needed during install. I don't think it actually checks constantly for the license once it is installed. You can try and move it and always put it back is there is a problem. I'm sure I've moved them in the past.

Chris

Haha, obviously I did that already LOL :happy: My brain isn't THAT small! :cool: But whenever I do that UTL won't load with P3D and I get an message saying UTL doesn't have a license. That file is mandatory.

I have the same problem with Level-D 767. The installer creates a folder in the root C: drive, and when I try to move it somewhere else, I also get a license error message. I stated this problem in the Level-D forum a few years ago, but I wasn't given a solution. This information might be of no help to you - I just wanted to let you know.

As with all  Flight1 products, when I installed UTL, the first question from the installer was related to installing in C:\Flight1 - there is an option to change it there. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I checked and mine was installed on E drive.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

As with all  Flight1 products, when I installed UTL, the first question from the installer was related to installing in C:\Flight1 - there is an option to change it there. 

Vic

I know, and that is what I didn't and that is why the actual installer and some other files did end up on my D drive. But still the wrapper installed the lic file on my C drive. Which I didn't want. Maybe I will uninstall UTL and try again. 

Uninstalled, reinstalled, no matter what you do, that lic file is installed in the root of your C drive. Just read on the UTL forum that this is indeed how it is and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't like this at all but well, this is how it is.

Yes, this sucks. Imagine the mess if more add-ons installed their key files in the root of your C drive without having control to change the folder.

J van E,

I can never figure out why you have so many problems that others never experience.  Whatever.  But.....

I have been using Flight1 products for years, going back to FS9 days.  I have numerous ones installed on my computer right now running in P3Dv4.  I have NO Flight1 folder ANYWHERE on my C: drive.  You can ALWAYS tell the installers to use another location.  ALL of my license files are located on other drives, either put there during installation or moved there manually by myself.  As others have also already stated in this thread.

Are you confusing the downloaded INSTALLERS getting placed on the C: drive vs where the actual PROGRAM is installed after you run the installer? 

WHAT are you doing that causes all the drama in your various posts?

• Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

The licenses are copied to C:\Windows as well. I simply delete the C:\ folder.

I find it amazing how clumsy and careless some developers are. I'd be fired if i pulled one like this.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

WHAT are you doing that causes all the drama in your various posts?

LOL I wish I knew! :biggrin: But anyway, no matter what I do, as soon as I select the key and start the install, that lic file is posted on my C drive BEFORE I get the option to choose where to install things. But well, it's no real problem of course, but I just don't like things like that.

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

The licenses are copied to C:\Windows as well. I simply delete the C:\ folder.

I find it amazing how clumsy and careless some developers are. I'd be fired if i pulled one like this.

Deleting the folder doesn't work here: UTL refuses to run if I do that. It is odd indeed.

Oh ok. I only have their GTN650/750 combo now as i am on v4.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I must admit, it could really get bad if you has a couple of hundred 2kb files on your C:/ drive.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I am just waiting to get UTL for P3D4; and I'll wait a bit longer if these problems exist. So fed up with Orbitz or Pacifica or however they are blocking my R/W.