Sign in to follow this  

Flight1 folder in root C: drive

There is no problem. I always keep my F1 license files in C:\Flight One Software. Just for kicks, I renamed the folder. All of my F1 stuff including UTL work just fine. Although I fail to see the problem with having license files on the C: drive. If one or two license files is going to cause a problem, you have bigger problems with your system.

If you just don't like the licenses on the C: drive, that's your option but there's no valid reason other than personal preference.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 hours ago, vgbaron said:

There is no problem. I always keep my F1 license files in C:\Flight One Software. Just for kicks, I renamed the folder. All of my F1 stuff including UTL work just fine. Although I fail to see the problem with having license files on the C: drive. If one or two license files is going to cause a problem, you have bigger problems with your system.

If you just don't like the licenses on the C: drive, that's your option but there's no valid reason other than personal preference.

Vic

Fully agreed. :happy: I never ever said there was a real problem and I made it clear in my OP already that this is indeed a personal preference. However, imho a personal preference can actually be a valid reason to see if things can be done differently. Which was the reason for this topic. But now I know this is how it is I of course can live with it. It's not that I refuse to keep on using UTL because of this. :biggrin: But imho (so in my subjective and very personal opinion) I think it is a bad thing that a developer dumps stuff in places you don't want.

That's it and that's all. 

I fully agree with the OP.

Being a real control freak... it works on my nerves when something is not doing it like you told it to do... :)
During the installation you're prompted for the location of unpacking the software and in the end, wathever your choice was, it will put it in the root of your C drive. And you cannot delete if after the installation as the software will fail to launch due to missing license files.

I like to keep my simming software as much organized as possible.

But ok, I decided to live with it. Live is not always like you want it to be... ;)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

13 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

Some people like to twist themselves into a pretzel over the most miniscule issues. :cool:

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

48 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Some people like to twist themselves into a pretzel over the most miniscule issues. :cool:

I have to say I do like pretzels. :happy:

13 hours ago, vesalius said:

During the installation you're prompted for the location of unpacking the software and in the end, wathever your choice was, it will put it in the root of your C drive. And you cannot delete if after the installation as the software will fail to launch due to missing license files.

No, it won't.  Anybody who is having this "problem" is doing something drastically wrong during the original purchase download of the INSTALLERS, or the extraction of the software FILES during the program INSTALLATION.  They are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.  I have NUMEROUS Flight1 software products installed in my P3Dv4.1.  I have NO folders ANYWHERE on my C: drive with any Flight1 files in them...including the License files.  I have either told the downloaders to put them somewhere else other than my C: drive during the download or extraction, or I have moved them myself after they were downloaded to the "default" C:\Flight One Software folder (if one was created). 

There is NO reason you need to have Flight One Software folders or files ANYWHERE on your C: drive.  If you do, you have forced it to be that way yourself somehow.

Rick Ryan

Flight1 automatically generates a tiny .lic file during the purchase process and stores it in the C:\Flight One Software folder. I still wonder what would happen if one's computer did not have a "C:" drive? Some newer computers don't have one... :blink:

y4Ltr.png

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Mostly, installers choose the system drive usually C: they don't hard code it, whatever it is doesn't matter. Stuff like that is handled by the OS. Another example is that installers don't know if they are installing in to Program Files or Program Files (x86), mostly.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 hours ago, FalconAF said:

No, it won't. Anybody who is having this "problem" is doing something drastically wrong

(...)

If you do, you have forced it to be that way yourself somehow.

To stop this from going nowhere let me say that after dealing with computers for some 30 years I probably indeed and obviously know nothing about installers and so on and so yes, I put that folder and that lic file there myself. Now let's move on and enjoy the traffic in P3D. :wink:

Jeroen,

My professional IT experience (IT onsite support engineer) is only halfway yours... But thank you for that reply.

Met vriendelijke groeten... ;-)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

And since it has been asked and answered..........

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors