Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Direct Flightplans

I have completed the PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #1 flight from EGKK London Gatwick to EHAM Amsterdam Schiphol twice (plus the initial test where I had somehow deleted Amsterdam airport; I was on final approach to a big green field :blush:), but I struggled to get everything done on time before I reached my destination. Bearing this in mind, is it possible to use the FMC to set up a direct flight to one of the destination airport STARs (without using SIDs from the departure airport)? I guess any procedures like this would also be useful for airfields that do not have SIDs or STARS at all.

This FMC programming is all very new to me, but it is time to get the ball rolling, and introduce at least some degree of realism to my flights!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don’t really understand your request and what you want to do. Normally you set up a runway and a SID. Then you arrive at the airport via a STAR and then a transition to the runway. You can set this all up on ground before takeoff so you have enough time in the air to concentrate on flying :-)

But sure. You can takeoff without using a SID. But what would be the benefit for you? :-)

What I mean is.....can I fly direct to a STAR of another airport without going through all of the transitions/turns/altitude changes/speed changes prior to that? I would like to be able to do relatively short flights at maybe 5000 feet and 250 knots on a direct heading to the destination airport, and intercept a STAR for final approach. When I add the departure airport in the FMC, I get a list of SIDs to choose from, but I want to bypass them and fly direct. I am not sure how to do this without the FMC throwing up a "discontinuity error".

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

What I mean is.....can I fly direct to a STAR of another airport without going through all of the transitions/turns/altitude changes/speed changes prior to that? I would like to be able to do relatively short flights at maybe 5000 feet and 250 knots on a direct heading to the destination airport, and intercept a STAR for final approach. When I add the departure airport in the FMC, I get a list of SIDs to choose from, but I want to bypass them and fly direct. I am not sure how to do this without the FMC throwing up a "discontinuity error".

Hi Christopher, this really is a question specific to the PMDG products and belongs in their NGX forum.  However, the short answer is the FMC does not require SIDs or STARs... all you basically need is departure, destination and one enroute waypoint, which you don't need to flyby by simply using the LSK to promote the approach FAF for example as a direct to.  The long answer is you should stick to the tutorials and fly them as many times as it takes to be comfortable with such things as an FMC, and be sure to keep reading their Introduction.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have started a new thread in the PMDG 737 NGX section of the forum, so can a moderator please lock this one? Thanks.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png