Sign in to follow this  
Bina

Running LN on a different computer

Hi Alex,

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it somehow possible to run LN on a separate computer using it as a 'moving map'?

If yes, how can I achieve that? My FSX is running on a desktop computer while I suppose I can run LN as a moving map through a Wi-Fi connection / Simconnect to desktop?

EDIT: I try the procedure as explained in the manual to no avail yet. Is it required to have the same simulator (FSX) on BOTH computers - local and remote? The thing is I don't have FSX on a remote computer, only the database files taken from the local one (with FSX). But the NavConnect message on remote comp says it's trying to connect to XPlane (?) by default although IP address is provided correctly.

Thanks!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hi Victor,

you don't need the simulator on both computers. But you need LNM on both. Once on the flying computer to generate the database and one on the remote computer. 

Whey you say "database files" you mean LNM's SQlite files and not FSX' BGL files, right?

You already copied "little_navmap_fsx.sqlite" to the remote (as described here) and can see the map?

Did you check "Connect to a remote computer via Little Navonncect" in the connect dialog?

If it says "Connecting to X-Plane" it is still looking for a local X-Plane on the remote. It simply says "Connecting ..." when trying to find the flying computer running Little Navconnect. The statusbar indication also has a tooltip giving more information like the computer name.

Alex

Edited by albar965
Finished after posting early

14 hours ago, albar965 said:

Whey you say "database files" you mean LNM's SQlite files and not FSX' BGL files, right?

You already copied "little_navmap_fsx.sqlite" to the remote (as described here) and can see the map?

That's correct! After installing LN on both flying and remote computers and after LN completed the database creation on flying computer, I just moved the folder C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel\little_navmap_db to the remote computer replacing the 'empty' SQLite files.

I also checked that LN on remote computer correctly reads database files, i.e. shows airports/navaids, etc. 

Did you check "Connect to a remote computer via Little Navonncect" in the connect dialog?

Yes. And inserted IP address of the local computer leaving port number (51968) untouched.

If it says "Connecting to X-Plane" it is still looking for a local X-Plane on the remote. It simply says "Connecting ..." when trying to find the flying computer running Little Navconnect. The statusbar indication also has a tooltip giving more information like the computer name.

It is. Actually, with LN running on both computers, I laucnhed NavConnect on the local (flying) one to make sure that IP address inserted in Main Menu -> Tools -> Flight Simulator Connection of the remote one is correct. Basically following your instructions here. Also, I added littlenavconnect.exe and littlenavmap.exe on both computers to the firewall exception list of my antivirus.

I don't remember the error message but it was number (7) I guess. But I can check if you still need it. The other thing is LN on remote is trying to connect to the local one using NavConnect for XPlane. I guess it's because I don't have any sim on the remote and NavConnect is instructed to use XP as default option for the sim.

Thanks for trying to help!!!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Thank you, Alex! Not necessary anymore :)

After some trial and error, it worked... finally! That's what I did, in case somebody has a similar issue:

1. Restarted my wifi-router and the "flying" computer. Took a note of a new IP from the Network and Sharing Center (Windows 7).

2. Launched FSX on "flying" computer.

3. Launched NavConnect on the same computer. Double checked that the IP I have and the one shown in NavConnect window is the same and one.

4. Launched LittleNavmap on the remote computer; then Main Menu -> Tools -> Flight Simulator Connection and selected options as described in the manual.

5. Inserted new IP address into Flight Simulator Connection of LN launched on the remote computer. That's it!

Thanks again for your great assistance and LN, of course!!! Please keep it up!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

The IPs can be a trap if you do not use the computer name on the network. The IP can change after every reboot (of the computer). Mostly not, but sometimes.

Anyway, glad it is working now.:smile:

Alex