Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Citation CJ4X

ndrcBUG.jpg

YNXhtWS.png

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

A little / lot off topic but have you purchased the dhc3 otter yet Alan?  It looks good i was hoping you might have an opinion before i add it to my ah2 fleet. :biggrin:

Ian R Tyldesley

1 hour ago, WotanUK said:

A little / lot off topic but have you purchased the dhc3 otter yet Alan?  It looks good i was hoping you might have an opinion before i add it to my ah2 fleet. :biggrin:

I've not bought it (yet, but probably will), so I only know it from the freebie demo of it, which is limited to an altitude of 1,500ft and 10 minutes of flying time per flight test. But that's enough to check out whether it floats your boat or not, although I did note that it was saying it was overspeeding at 120 knots in the circuit when I checked it out, and that surprised me as I'm pretty sure an Otter would be a little bit faster than that before being considered to be overspeeding, I think, off the top of my head, the Otter can do about 150 knots maybe a little more, although I'm willing to be corrected on that if it can't go that fast lol.

I think it's quite nice myself, and it's probably worth the 25 quid price tag to anyone who really wants an Otter, especially with it being P3D V4.1 ready and working in FSX too, although as far as that is concerned, it depends on what type of flying you do as to how much you'd use it. If you wanted it for Air Hauler 2, then it would probably serve you well in that role, since although not a fast aeroplane, the Otter can haul a very useful load and is STOL, so it'd be a good bush flyer with the ability to carry a big cargo and make it up over some big mountains. It sounds pretty good, although to be honest, I think it will benefit from A2A's AccuFeel add-on to give it a few rattles and such, cos the Otter is a bit of an old haul anything truck and it seemed to be lacking a bit of that sense by not rattling and shaking very much.

If you check out the demo, you'll see that it is very nicely textured and looks pretty good to me, although I can't say I've checked it out against a real one to see how accurate the modeling is dimensions-wise, so you be the judge of that. Note that Milviz are making one too, so consider that if you are weighing it up, as you know Milviz will do a decent job of it.

As you probably know, the JF Otter is made by Aeroplane Heaven for them, which can sometimes be a bad thing, sometimes good, for example, their Hunter is good, and their B17F is unbelievably good, but their recent C-46 is in need of some serious patching to behave like a real C-46, which makes the recent PC Pilot magazine review of that C-46 laughable, where they give it a Classic Award, really, PC Pilot's reviews are worthless for all the honesty you find in them, i.e. not much. I like Just Flight, but I wouldn't blow sunshine up their @ss for everything they ever do simply because I like them, which is what PC Pilot does, because in the end, doing that sort of thing ends up damning someone with praise. The C-46 may turn out okay eventually if they patch it, but the idea of it deserving a Classic Award at this point makes a mockery of what little credibility PC Pilot has left as a source of reliable opinions.

In this case, from my limited trial of the thing at least, I'd say the JF Otter is probably one of the good ones from Aeroplane Heaven, but try the demo and decide for yourself would be my suggestion, as that won't cost you anything to do other than a quick wait for the download (which is quite big actually).

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

In this case, from my limited trial of the thing at least, I'd say the JF Otter is probably one of the good ones from Aeroplane Heaven, but try the demo and decide for yourself would be my suggestion, as that won't cost you anything to do other than a quick wait for the download (which is quite big actually).

Thanks Alan...  I did download the demo but was still on the fence with it, i got the dhc2 beaver from Milviz i like it, but i am a huge fan of the twin otter from Aerosoft.  Like you say it's only £25, i think from what you have said i'll buy it.

Thanks again.

Ian R Tyldesley