Sign in to follow this  
Clorix

No Capt. Side PFD Clickspot, VSD Doesn't Show Terrain, and 2D Popup Performance Issues

In P3D v4.1 with the latest NGX update (v1.20.8465), I have a couple issues that a fresh install of the aircraft didn't solve.

1.  My captain side PFD doesn't have a clickspot to pop it out into its own window.  All other display clickspots work just fine.  I've tried opening the PFD by going to Vehicle>Instrument Panel>Zoomed Left Outboard DU, but upon clicking that, the window appears to flash quickly, then disappear.

2.  The VSD will not show any terrain although the ND itself does, so I'm assuming that means the terrain data is loaded, just that the VSD shows nothing.

3.  When I open any 2D panel for the first time in a session, the sim will lag for a few seconds and then everything's fine again afterwards, even after having closed and reopened that 2D window.

I've done some searching here but couldn't find anything that fit the descriptions of my issues.

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Clorix said:

The VSD will not show any terrain although the ND itself does, so I'm assuming that means the terrain data is loaded, just that the VSD shows nothing.

The VSD will show terrain as illustrated on FCOM 10.10.40, but you need to note the altitude scale on the left vertical axis.  Much of the time, terrain will be far below the bottom of the altitude scale.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

The VSD will show terrain as illustrated on FCOM 10.10.40, but you need to note the altitude scale on the left vertical axis.  Much of the time, terrain will be far below the bottom of the altitude scale.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, with the left vertical scale including zero.

u6i5I0Rr.png

I guess those rolling hills don't register.  Get around a few mountains.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, headley said:

Answer to your first question: 

You know, I think I saw that post and stopped reading because of the mention of the DC-6 haha.  Ok, scratch one off my list.  Apologies!

33 minutes ago, downscc said:

I guess those rolling hills don't register.  Get around a few mountains.

Here's how it looks at LOWI facing the mountain.

edit: I also noticed that when I bring up the VSD for the first time, the same performance issue crops up for a few seconds, then settles itself again.

GaeEXFA.png

Edited by Clorix
added info about similar performance loss

I don't think the VSD is intended to work while you are on the ground.  I've seen the green terrain line lots of times and know that it does appear when within the altitude scale, which in flight and in particular when descending which is it's intended purpose.  Right now I'm climb through FL320 in a B739 over the Cascade Mountains and they do not show, but I am way too high above for that.

EDIT UPDATE:  Finished flight KSEA - KLAS and observed VSD on the SUNST arrival that comes in over the mountains West of Vegas and downwind over the hills surrounding Boulder.  You're right.  The green terrain line that I last saw in P3Dv3.4 is missing.  It must have gotten broke recently, I honestly don't recall if I used the VSD this year (I don't use it very often) with 4.0 but it (terrain) is missing in v4.1.

Please document by submitting a trouble ticket to PMDG Product Support, this gets it into their bug tracking system and unless we do that this might get forgotten.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, I'll definitely do that.  I just got through with a very quick and dirty flight around Innsbruck just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and the VSD never showed terrain.  I was starting to think I had forgotten something and was going crazy haha.