Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

Error creating child window

All I know is I'm still getting the error. P3D support doesn't want to know and says "they can't recreate the error, therefore, there's no problem". I paid a lot of money for P3D and the add-ons and the game is totally unplayable. Can someone please come up with a solution that actually works?

3 minutes ago, Padds1985 said:

All I know is I'm still getting the error. P3D support doesn't want to know and says "they can't recreate the error, therefore, there's no problem". I paid a lot of money for P3D and the add-ons and the game is totally unplayable. Can someone please come up with a solution that actually works?

Please sign with your real name, first and last as per forum regulations. The issue is know to P3D and according to a post in their Forum Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

• Upvote 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

17 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

More of a procedural question - if you were able to postpone the update - to say like Dec 20 - will the postponed update be fixed when windows forces the update on Dec 20? Or will it install the flawed update and I'll be required to seek out the fix and install that ontop of the update?

Nick,

I presume that it will download the faulty update and then you will need to update with the fix. Again this is an assumption based on what have seen up to now

• Upvote 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

5 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

More of a procedural question - if you were able to postpone the update - to say like Dec 20 - will the postponed update be fixed when windows forces the update on Dec 20? Or will it install the flawed update and I'll be required to seek out the fix and install that ontop of the update?

I don't know how it is on your side, but on my system, the bloody thing has already downloaded and just waiting for a restart ...  So i think i will have to go for the second option ...

(I'm running Win10-64 home, but can postpone the update by every day postpone another date for the restart, works well for about 3 weeks now, as long as i don't restart my system (shut down and start again is not a restart).  I just have to be carefull when installing programs who are forcing a restart without my intervention... (like the video card driver for example).

19 minutes ago, headley said:

I don't know how it is on your side, but on my system, the bloody thing has already downloaded and just waiting for a restart ...  So i think i will have to go for the second option ...

(I'm running Win10-64 home, but can postpone the update by every day postpone another date for the restart, works well for about 3 weeks now, as long as i don't restart my system (shut down and start again is not a restart).  I just have to be carefull when installing programs who are forcing a restart without my intervention... (like the video card driver for example).

there was a way to delay it through the settings. I was notified of the update so I searched the web to see how to postpone. Turns out you could delay for a month or so through the settings, so that's what I did. But Dec 20 its inevitable. As long as they have a way to fix it before then it'll be no problem (other then it throwing off all my graphics and display settings and forcing me to figure out how to bring it back to where it is now).

2 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

there was a way to delay it through the settings. I was notified of the update so I searched the web to see how to postpone. Turns out you could delay for a month or so through the settings, so that's what I did. But Dec 20 its inevitable. As long as they have a way to fix it before then it'll be no problem (other then it throwing off all my graphics and display settings and forcing me to figure out how to bring it back to where it is now).

Yes, but that option seems only available in the Win10-pro version.  i have the Home-version, so the only way to postpone the update for me is to postpone the restart-date, witch you can find in the option under "windows update" tab.  Maybe (in the pro-version) and you have already postponed by 1 month, this "restart-option" is not available.  

For me, i have no idea how long i can postpone this restart, we will see (but anyway dec 12th is memorial day in the sim world :ampun:)

34 minutes ago, headley said:

Yes, but that option seems only available in the Win10-pro version.  i have the Home-version, so the only way to postpone the update for me is to postpone the restart-date, witch you can find in the option under "windows update" tab.  Maybe (in the pro-version) and you have already postponed by 1 month, this "restart-option" is not available.  

For me, i have no idea how long i can postpone this restart, we will see (but anyway dec 12th is memorial day in the sim world :ampun:)

are you using wifi as  your internet connection or a cable? If wifi there's supposedly another way to disable it indefinitely (metered connection)

I updated to the version 1709 and then rolled back. Under "update history" I can only see that the Update Windows 10, Version 1709 failed to install and requires restart to finish installing. There is no mention of the forced update on Dec 20...

Hope there will be a fix soon.

I have Windows 10, v1709 and loaded the PMDG 737 into FSX (boxed version) at KLAX.  After loading, the 737 was running properly but the primary flight displays and FMC's were dark and not working (I always start up ready to taxi with the engines running).  I also got the error 'creating a child window' and/or an 'unsupported operation was attempted' error.  Clicking okay on the errors, the 737 was ready for takeoff except the flight displays were all dark.  It did not crash to desktop.  I then shutdown the sim and went to the FSX/Fonts folder and copied all of the PMDG fonts over to the main Windows/Font folder.  If the font existed, I did not rename.  Think there were 29 fonts copied (number might change depending on number of aircraft installed). 

Restarted FSX and the PMDG 738 at KLAX and saw no error messages at startup and the Primary Flight Displays/FMC's were all working perfectly!  Unfortunately, this is not a complete fix.  If I clicked on options>display, I still received the unsupported operation was attempted error and the sim closed to desktop w/o an error.  But, I have found that if you do not touch the menu during a flight and setup everything at the Setup screen, then FSX (and the PMDG 737) will not crash and will run without an issue!  At least for me.  I also have been able to click on Options and speed up the sim to 4X's but the Options>Display will almost always hit me with the unsupported operation error. I even was able to click on World/Weather and enable real weather w/o crashing.   I have not seen the error creating a child window error since copying the fonts to the Windows/Fonts folder.

Hopefully this will help others and you can enjoy the PMDG 737 until (or if) Microsoft fixes this problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

20 hours ago, Nick Dobda said:

are you using wifi as  your internet connection or a cable? If wifi there's supposedly another way to disable it indefinitely (metered connection)

No, i'm using cable ..., anyway the update is already downloaded, so i think switching to wifi will not give me a solution, furthermore i need to many app's using internet connection while simming.

10 hours ago, Jim Young said:

... I also have been able to click on Options and speed up the sim to 4X's but the Options>Display ...

Do you mean via the menubar in FSX or via the CDU ?

2 minutes ago, headley said:

Do you mean via the menubar in FSX or via the CDU ?

After complete loading to the flight with the aircraft on the runway.  I click on Options>Display and then get the crash.  In any case, the problem has been fixed by Microsoft overnight -

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Guys,

Hopefully it's been fixed by MS - breifly ran FSX after installing KB4051963 - Cumulative Update for Win 10. I can access all the main dialog boxes without a restart of FSX - testing this weekend :) please advise if you have any joy :)

Regards

Nathan Smith 

System Specs: FSX:SE (upgrading to P3D v4.5), Intel i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4GHz Quad Core, nVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence  Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Acer 27" Monitor