Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Anyone still uses P3D v3.x with PMDG products?

Just curious about this.  If OOM is never experienced with P3D v3.4, what's the advantage of moving to P3D v4?  

Thanks in advance.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I still use P3D ( 3.4.22 if i am not mistaken ) - never had even one OOM, fly only PMDG and A2A with Aerosoft and FlyTampa airports mostly.

Artur 

I have P3D v3 and v4 installed on the same computer.   I can't tell the difference between the two.  Also all my Flytampa airports are with v3.  When flytampa gets the v4 installers and the QW 787 comes out for P3D then I'll use v4.   Now I only fly v3

Paul Gugliotta

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Just curious about this.  If OOM is never experienced with P3D v3.4, what's the advantage of moving to P3D v4?  

Thanks in advance.

Well, I had few if any OOM's with 3.4. However, the difference will be what future addons bring to the table when the virtual memory limit is raised significantly. I have found that performance is smoother with V4. Obviously the slow progress of addons being brought over is a partial reason to stay. But I have seen how much better 64bit is, and am patiently waiting for the remaining addons to be brought or built for V4. 

This question is quite similar to whether or not go to P3D from FSX. I dont miss FSX one bit, but I understand why its holding on. Its a personal preference. 

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

7 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Thanks in advance.

I’ve had one OOM with V3.4 (my current version) and that was with Concorde on a 5K display. Otherwise, had good performance and never had any horrendous issues with V3.4. 

I’m also questioning the point in moving to V4. V3 works like a charm for me and all of my ORBX and freeware Aussie scenery is incompatible with V4 anyway... The gain for me personally moving to a completely 64 Bit environment in the sim world (except for the cool sky dc9) at the moment is negligible. The only factors that would want to make me upgrade is the enhancements to the FSLA320 X and (supposedly) far superior lights in the TFDi 717. 

I fly PMDG on 3.4 and I'm still on it....only one OOM if I recall.  No real compelling reason for me to upgrade yet. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

All ok here PMDG FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4.

"what's the advantage of moving to P3D v4?  "

Is your OS 32 bit or 64 bit?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

11 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

I have P3D v3 and v4 installed on the same computer.   I can't tell the difference between the two.  Also all my Flytampa airports are with v3.  When flytampa gets the v4 installers and the QW 787 comes out for P3D then I'll use v4.   Now I only fly v3

Not sure what you are talking about, but flytampa has been compatible with v4 almost from the beginning...

34 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

Not sure what you are talking about, but flytampa has been compatible with v4 almost from the beginning...

FlyTampa provided V4 patches from the start, but no installers.  Boston V4 will be the first P3D V4 native.  If you check their forum, there area also concerns about EHAM in P3D v4 in term of performance.

Thanks to all who replied.  The reason I asked was simple: there is a claim that P3Dv4 delivered gain of 10-15 FPS and is smoother.  However, I have not seen concrete evidence that this is the case with PMDG yet.  At UK2000 EGLL and the PMDG 777, I currently get 20-30 FPS.  If P3Dv4 does not deliver the gain for the bird that I use, plus it includes the hassle of waiting for airport scenery update then why?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

7 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

FlyTampa provided V4 patches from the start, but no installers.  Boston V4 will be the first P3D V4 native.  If you check their forum, there area also concerns about EHAM in P3D v4 in term of performance.

Thanks to all who replied.  The reason I asked was simple: there is a claim that P3Dv4 delivered gain of 10-15 FPS and is smoother.  However, I have not seen concrete evidence that this is the case with PMDG yet.  At UK2000 EGLL and the PMDG 777, I currently get 20-30 FPS.  If P3Dv4 does not deliver the gain for the bird that I use, plus it includes the hassle of waiting for airport scenery update then why?

I am not knowledgeable, so cant give an opinion either way, but where did yo use this "claim"..? I have heard no such thing, but simpley that with v4 you can add lots more stuff without risking OOMs as the main benefit, but nothing about fps gain.

Yeah, I've never seen a fps increase claim either.  Besides being a 64b application with a huge memory space, there are many incremental improvements as well. The one I care most about is that with each update LM improves the applications ability to  use mulltithreading and moving processes from the CPU to the GPU.  There is a very long change list available at the LM P3D web site, you should be checking there instead of fishing for opinions.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 hours ago, PepeBiondi said:

I am not knowledgeable, so cant give an opinion either way, but where did yo use this "claim"..? I have heard no such thing, but simpley that with v4 you can add lots more stuff without risking OOMs as the main benefit, but nothing about fps gain.

Simply do a Google search on P3D v4 performance versus P3D v3 and you will see the various reports, including YouTube, and yes I did try to Google performance gain if any for PMDG products.

Vu Pham

3 hours ago, downscc said:

There is a very long change list available at the LM P3D web site, you should be checking there instead of fishing for opinions.

How does looking at the long list help me?  I am not fishing for opinions (fishing implies I am throwing out questions randomly without specific intent) this is a very specific question, I am asking for users of PMDG on whether there is a gain, and the long list of features from LM is useless in that regard.  Furthermore if you reread my post I never said anything about 10-15 FPS gain for PMDG, that claim was for P3Dv4 reported by many out there.  Reported gain are pointless if those gain makes no difference in what you do use, in this case PMDG products.  Given that most people still have the same HW and simply change the sim version and use the same PMDG, I should be able to get what their experiences are, no?  Changing Sim is a time consuming activity, unless the benefit outweigh the cost it's not worth it.  If OOM is not an issue then being at 64bit really is not a deciding factor.  Performance gain is.

Vu Pham

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

How does looking at the long list help me?  I am not fishing for opinions (fishing implies I am throwing out questions randomly without specific intent) this is a very specific question, I am asking for users of PMDG on whether there is a gain, and the long list of features from LM is useless in that regard.  Furthermore if you reread my post I never said anything about 10-15 FPS gain for PMDG, that claim was for P3Dv4 reported by many out there.  Reported gain are pointless if those gain makes no difference in what you do use, in this case PMDG products.  Given that most people still have the same HW and simply change the sim version and use the same PMDG, I should be able to get what their experiences are, no?  Changing Sim is a time consuming activity, unless the benefit outweigh the cost it's not worth it.  If OOM is not an issue then being at 64bit really is not a deciding factor.  Performance gain is.

No two people have the exact same hardware and addons (and also additional software installed on their system which can also interfere/incide with oerformance); the results will more than likely be less than relevant to your particular use case. 

Edit:  maybe instead reading the "long list" you can just read the part that you pretty much have 60 days to try for yourself and if you don't like it / don't see any improvement, you can get your money back. 

Personally I had a lot of OOMs with P3D v3.4, I do have many addon airports and a lot of orbx scenery though so it's no wonder really, but I do like the rich look and feel that all gives to the experience.  As for porting over, I've not found it particularly difficult, most addons worked in P3Dv4 within a few weeks, airliners took a bit longer but I had a decent hanger in a month or two of release, essentially I am now right back where I was on P3D v3.4 with all my addon aircraft installed and the majority of my scenery (I think bar about 4 airports).

Once P3Dv4 came out I started a clean slate, and v4 was my only sim, didn't think it was worth muddying the waters running multiples, just a bit of patience needed.

Cheers

Craig Read, EGLL