Sign in to follow this  
Taver

Wind speed correct wind direction is wrong [solved]

I figured out how to get the unit to display wind speed and direction. The issue I am having is the wind speed is correct but the wind direction is not. 

I am comparing this to what prepar3d v4.1 is telling me and what also Active Sky for P3Dv4 and the aircraft I have that displays wind speed and direction. 

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

Hi,

It would be great you'd be able to post comparative screenshots. However, is the difference like 180º or a few? Is the difference between the indicated wind vector and the one you'd expect looks like being equivalent to the local magvar?

The wind data comes from the simulator sim variables, so any problem might probably be nothing more than this.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I will be away from my computer till Friday but I will post some screen shots when I get back.

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Tim Curtis

Taver, for me it looks absolutely correct(?). You´re heading at some 50° on rwy 05, your instruments show a relative tail wind direction of 130°, and 130° + 50° = 180°.

Ciao, Fritz

It could be just me not understanding the instruments. Here is a screenshot. 

k5yjUS9.png

Tim Curtis

9qbMg8h.png

Tim Curtis

On the GTN, the wind direction seems to be absolute (true north or mag, i don't know). To be sure, when you are turning, does the wind arrow turns or keeps the same orientation ?

85° Mag into AS, 82° into the sim (CYVR into AS but i don't know on which airport your are, so variation may occur)

and on the GTN map, we can see the arrow oriented to the Left, a little bit to the bottom, so something like 82°. So, that's make sense if it is an absolute wind direction.

But this G600 show 198°(with a little T for true north i imagine)..so, relative or absolute,it seems totally wrong ???

On the second screenshot serie, G600 seems ok and GTN not. strange...

and what are the value at an altitude > 0 ? (and show red line information at top of the screen showing wind direction into the sim)

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

Hi,

first things first: you need motion. Most things in the GTN/GNS require 15kts min to compute. The exception is with the GTN for helicopters, which has certain exemptions whe hovering.

Once flying, you can have two different sources: Shadin Air Data is the one that feed the map vector, the 'utils DALT/WIND calc' page computes the relative wind instead ( delta HDG/TRK based).

Without Shadin connected, only the utils page computes wind.

The map wind vector is an average of some sort over time and just gives the overall direction, speed is fine. The utils page gives more precise data which match what is experienced in sim as viewed with shift+z

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

i have tried several wind configuration and DALT/wind page correctly reflect wind dir and speed i set in P3D but the vector in user field stay like wind always come from north (true north). i was in flight at 3000 ft 100 kt always fflying at 0° with autopilot. 

try wind from 0°, from 270°, from 60° , with dfifferent wind value (10 and 30 kt) and wind vector didn't change. but wind speed is ok. (and calc page was ok for dir and speed)

shading air data was on in GTN config.

nb: on the red line information of P3d at the top left, wind was stable, coming from 270 @11 kt but in calc page, wind direction and speed was varying a little.

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

13 hours ago, bills511 said:

Here is an example.

http://FKM5KVB.jpg

Hummm.  North on the displayed compass is pointing to the upper left and is directly opposite the direction of the wind indicator. Opposite of 360° is 180°. And the reported KIND wind is from 180.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have done some more testing. 

The unit is much more accurate in flight and with a wind speed of 15kt or more as Jean-Luc has stated. 

Essentially the wind gauge and direction do work properly with wind speed over 15kt and in flight. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Curtis