Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

Runway position offset from map

As I was flying an RNAV approach into KCMH Columbus International Airport I noticed the runway doesn't match position with the map causing me to almost landing in the grass. I'm going to assume the exact coordinates are not correct in some default airport sceneries. I checked other airports mostly add-ons and they were ok.

EDIT:

I checked with the GNS and the same issue. See bottom image.

KCMH

http://Cbi1Psw.jpg

KIND Indianapolis is ok.

http://3KAlvPV.jpg

Meigs position is off. Aircraft should be on the peninsula. (No runway visible for obvious reasons.)

http://2f2XrqC.jpg

Can't zoom any closer but it appears the GNS also shows runway at KCMH is offset.

http://yEOTIjK.jpg

Hi,

this is peculiar but do you see any discrepancy between the coordinates in the GPS, and the coordinates in the simulator (shift+z)?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

39 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

this is peculiar but do you see any discrepancy between the coordinates in the GPS, and the coordinates in the simulator (shift+z)?

No discrepancy. Matches perfectly.

I opened up KCMH in Airport Design Editor to check the airport properties coordinates and this is what I found:

KCMH airport properties coordinates from Airport Design Editor: 39.997972213 -82.891888618

From Airnav.com: 39.9969444 / -82.8921667. The difference doesn't seem much but when resetting the coordinates from Airnav in ADE the airport coordinate marker moved south and the approximate distance that would have matched the GTN, GNS maps.

Hi Bill, I'm not sure to understand the conclusions.

So this is a misplaced airport in the scenery if I understand correctly?

Using ADE helped you place the airport at the official location, which matched the GTN/GNS map then?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

50 minutes ago, RXP said:

So this is a misplaced airport in the scenery if I understand correctly?

It looks that way.

51 minutes ago, RXP said:

Using ADE helped you place the airport at the official location, which matched the GTN/GNS map then?

No, I used ADE to check the sim coordinates against the real world coordinates. The coordinate mark moved but not the airport. Not sure if it is possible to move entire airport without affecting airport navaids like ILS etc.

I think there are quite a few airports that are misplaced in FSX- and those carried over into P3D. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

7 minutes ago, bjratchf said:

I think there are quite a few airports that are misplaced in FSX- and those carried over into P3D. 

Agree. Add-on airports are more likely to be up to date.