Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

IFly 747 FS2004 Small problem

Hello to you all,

A quickie if I may, for those of us with the IFly 747 for FS2004.

I have just purchased this aircraft and after initial installation. I believe I have a problem which is IRS related.

On start up with the preflight procedure, I click on the 3 IRS swithces (which by the way, are all in the off positiuon) The manual says to rotate to the off position for 10 seconds and then rotate to NAV.  As they are already in the off position I rotated each switch to ATT and then back to OFF for the required 10 seconds and then to NAV.

I then proceeded to the FMS ... INIT REF ....index ... POS INIT. The last position is there in RSK1  BUT there are no empty boxes in RSK5 and therefore nowhere to paste the last position. Please note that just rotating the switch to NAV from the original OFF position does not change anything. Any idea what I have done wrong here? I have the tutorial in my lap and I am carrying out everything as per that.

I also note that the Lower DU and the FO displays are black and I believe that they should come up with a display at the same time as the Captains displays. Am I correct with this assumption? 

I have been thinking it is an FS2004 load error but after exiting and loading FS2004 many times with the same results I am having a few doubts.

Any help would be very much appreciated as usual

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi Tony in Indonesia.

The iFly 747-400 system wise is pretty similar to the PMDG 747 original QOTS. Let's see if I can assist.

• First off you need to have either ground power or the APU running providing power to the buses.
  • Those IRS rotary knobs are by default let in the off position by the last crew that landed the aircraft as the IRS takes its references from the starting airport via GPS.
  • You should then rotate to Align for a few seconds then bring them back to NAV.
  • Next, you go into the FCDU. Look for screen that says IDENT, then look lower right for POS INIT. Click on that.
  • Next you should see a screen labelled POS INIT. Top left Ref Airport. There you insert the 4 letter airport code, e.g. WISS, or whichever airport you are at. At that same screen, you should also see an empty string of boxes beneath SET IRS POS. Now when you input that 4-letter airport code, you will immediately see in RLSK2, the GPS co-ordinates for where you currently are.
  • Just click on that, and that click on that empty string of co-ordinate boxes under SET IRS POS.
  • And you will have your new set of co-ordinates for the staring airport you are at.

Hope this helps. If not PM me later this evening UK time, and I will 'walk' you through it.

Regards

I don't believe the fs2004 ifly 747 simulates the irs startup, IIRC all you have to do is set the switches to nav.

Captain only displays may be an electrical configuration issue (standby power?), do they come on when you start the engines?

Been years since I played with this, probably wrong but there you go.... 

Hello guys.

Edetroit,   I have been flying the IFly 737 for a couple of years now so I do know about the forum .. They are very very helpful but most responses take a long long time and I wanted to just get up and running which is why I am here.  

Izamm,  There is, in the manual, a procedure for IRS alignment and it states "to align the IRS rotate the three IRS smode selector switches to OFF for 10 seconds then back to NAV thus starting the IRS alignment process"   "The aircraft initial position must be entered to complete the alignment This is done on the CDU POS INITpage." 

I go first to the IDENT page ... and check details all ok. Then to POS INIT and there are no empty boxes in RSK line 5. I have clicked on RSK1 and tried to paste into RSK5 but nothing happens. I have also tried inserting the airport ICAO and the gate number. This comes up with the requisite position, but again, no empty boxes to put it into and pasting that position into RSK5 does not work either. Under those circumstances I can only assume that alignment is not ever going to happen. I have got to say that I thought I was reasonably familiar with the FMS but this has me baffled.

I have NO problems with the Upper DU nor the captains Displays. The First Officer displays are blank and black as is the lower DU.  With my 737 the preflight procedure starts with the latter displays black and dark but they do come up within a couple of minutes (I have the 737 and the 747 set up for realistic times) The 737 comes up with data normally but the 747 does not ever display any data. I have not yet proceded to anywshere near the engine start to find out if they only come on after that sequence.  I cannot imagine however, that this would be correct.

As I said, I am following the manual (in my lap) to the letter because this is a totally new aircraft to me. BUT I am not getting the displays up and IRS Alignment certainly is not happening. I just do not know what other knobs I can fiddle with to correct the problem. I am also sure that it is my problem and not the programme or the manual. 

vc10man, Are you not out of your league here as I assume you normally play with the little fellas (VC10) LOL.

Hey mate, I have to go out tonight to a family thing but after reading all of the above if you can find anything I am doing wrong please PM me. I personnally think that I may have to do a re-install of the aircraft as the quickest and easiest solution. I have got to this stage each and every time and I have even reached this stage and walked away for 30 minutes and my FO displays and the lower DU are still blank and black. Summat is wrong but I do not know what.

I think, for all, that is about as much info I can supply but any further questions will be welcomed.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

As you are already not too far off night time seeing it is 18:16, enjoy your family function.

Playing with 'little fellas'? Indeed, LOL. I have been a 747/777 flier since I last left the 'little fella's a long, long time ago.

Not at my simming computer now, so will PM you later tonight my time(your morning time)

Most responses to questions in the iFly forae take between one or two hours at most unless asked on the weekend. Support on the weekends is ad hoc and may take as much as a day. If you ask a deeply technical question responses may take longer while the support folks check with the pilots or developers. In your case, the tutorial that comes with the aircraft will answer your questions - you must follow it carefully.

DJ

DJ.

I do not want to start a war here, but I am still waiting for a repaint request response (after two years) I have pretty well found that all requests of mine on that forum have had a slow but very effective response.  I stress "very effective"  I will also concede however, that it has been some time since I visited that site so things may well have changed

I may well be being a little hasty here but I wanted help fairly quickly which is why I came here in the first place. This is a new aircraft for me and I am really excited and wanting to get her up in the air.  I was NOT making a complaint about the IFly forum and nor am I now.

Secondly, and as previously stated mate, I have the manual in my lap. This is a process I always go through with a new aircraft ... I really love the preflight procedures and aways learn and follow them closely. So much so in fact, that I get a little flustered when watching some of the startup tutorials on YouTube and some of them are so out of sequence and so far removed from my manuals that they lose me. I know Individual operators of the aircraft have slightly different procedures but most, basically, follow the Boeing procedures. I can only assume that IFly do the same.

I personally think I have a re-install in front of me and if nothing further happens here, I will do that and try try again lol

Thanks for your response

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

A repaint request is not a support request. iFly repaints are user created. Read the tutorial or come to the support site for the answer to your problem.

DJ

Thank you all,

Problem solved without resorting to reading the manual LOL (I say that because I actually said a few times that I had the manual in my lap. Some people may not have seen that) and also without resorting to the incredibly quick Ifly forum.

Cheers everybody

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

"Problem solved without resorting to reading the manual  and also without resorting to the incredibly quick Ifly forum."

So now you are going to tell us how you resolved it right?

Edetroit,

My problem was that I tried to negate the gnd power connect disconnect. I tried to use the same procedure as in the 737 as I never use the GND power in that aircraft.

Using the GND power solved the problem but I am still wanting to go straight to APU to power the aircraft. (personal thing and it is no great bugbear to use the system and it is just a preference.

I further have to admit that the statement "without resorting to reading the manual etc' was a little tongue in cheek because I had twice mentioned that I had the manual on my lap. As I said, I knew what I was doing but the manual and the aircraft didn't. Their bad LOL

Anyway, I left out the resolution details due to a large bit of embarrassment on my part but the problem is solved and again I thank all for their input.

I would still, however, if possible, like to go from battery to starting the APU and bypassing the Ground power bit before progressing to the rest of the preflight.

Thanks again to you all for your input and help

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

One must ask, How do you like the Ifly 747? I’ve been on the fence about buying it for the last 6 months.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Flyinpilot,

I have to say I love it, with the proviso that I have yet to start an engine. (I am trying to sort out why they wont start)

The preflight procedure is delightfully complex and I love that aspect. I am quite sure that if she flies as well as the IFly 737 I am going to adore her. 

I cannot say much more and there will be others who can comment further with authority. I am told that IFly is not as authentic or as complex as PMDG and you should also consider that aircraft too. 

I am very very happy with my purchase.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Flyinpilot,

I have to say I love it, with the proviso that I have yet to start an engine. (I am trying to sort out why they wont start)

The preflight procedure is delightfully complex and I love that aspect. I am quite sure that if she flies as well as the IFly 737 I am going to adore her. 

I cannot say much more and there will be others who can comment further with authority. I am told that IFly is not as authentic or as complex as PMDG and you should also consider that aircraft too. 

I am very very happy with my purchase.

Cheers

Tony

I remember having the same problem with the iFly 747 - I think from memory it was something simple like me not having the engine bleeds turned on (which I'd assumed should not be needed for engine start, as long as the APU bleed was on - a la 737). I think the 747 utilizes engine bleeds during the start of subsequent engines and thus they needed to be on.  Or perhaps it was that I had the pax turned off and they needed to be on, as the 744 autostart feature likes to handle (turn them off during start) automatically.   Sorry I can't be more specific - this is just raw thinking out loud, as I remember spending a full week trying to start the engines, and eventually getting there! :)

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)