Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Delayed Texture Loading v4.1

Hi all,

As I do not find a solution myself, I am asking now the community. I always experienced kind of slow loading textures in P3D, in most of the case an increasment of texture_bandwith_mult in the config solved it. Since the update to v4.1 however, the textures load even more slowly than before when changing the view. Looking around in the VC is not that much affected, but for example when looking back to the airport I just left or when going to the external view, it takes considerably longer for the textures to load compared to v4 and earlier versions. I already increased the texture_bandwith_mult value further (from 160 to 400), but in contrast to earlier versions, this seems to have no effect. What else could I try? As this issue was not that prominent in v4, I am pretty sure that something changed in v4.1 regarding texture loading...

Thanks

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

18 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Hi all,

As I do not find a solution myself, I am asking now the community. I always experienced kind of slow loading textures in P3D, in most of the case an increasment of texture_bandwith_mult in the config solved it. Since the update to v4.1 however, the textures load even more slowly than before when changing the view. Looking around in the VC is not that much affected, but for example when looking back to the airport I just left or when going to the external view, it takes considerably longer for the textures to load compared to v4 and earlier versions. I already increased the texture_bandwith_mult value further (from 160 to 400), but in contrast to earlier versions, this seems to have no effect. What else could I try? As this issue was not that prominent in v4, I am pretty sure that something changed in v4.1 regarding texture loading...

Thanks

Are you talking about the black building textures?

Yes, but not only. For example if I look back to the airport I was departed from, it takes ages for the ground texture of the airport, the building textures etc. to be loaded. Way longer than it was in v4 or earlier versions. Then, also when panning around in the external view, also the textures of my AI aircraft takes longer to be loaded compared to before. Last, also the textures of the own plane when switching from inside VC to outside view takes longer to display correctly in the full resolution.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

13 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Yes, but not only. For example if I look back to the airport I was departed from, it takes ages for the ground texture of the airport, the building textures etc. to be loaded. Way longer than it was in v4 or earlier versions. Then, also when panning around in the external view, also the textures of my AI aircraft takes longer to be loaded compared to before. Last, also the textures of the own plane when switching from inside VC to outside view takes longer to display correctly in the full resolution.

Have you tried this...

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad= xx

You can search around for other threads on the subject but I believe the number can be anything divisible by 3 up to 30.  This may help your issue.  

• Upvote 1

Have you tried to limit frame rate internally? It can help also  

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thanks for the answers. No, I did not touch "TextureMaxLoad" as this parameter often led to adverse effects and I did not change it in v4 or v3.4 neither. And no, I am not going to limit the FPS internally, as I loose to much performance doing so. And of course, in v4 and v3.4, I did not have the issue also without using the internal frame limiter.

It has to be something that changed between v4 and v4.1, as I use exactly the same tweaks and settings inside P3D and nVidia Profile Inspector. Strange...

Greetings, Chris

36 minutes ago, Tony P said:

Have you tried this...

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad= xx

You can search around for other threads on the subject but I believe the number can be anything divisible by 3 up to 30.  This may help your issue.  

+1

This helped me with airport black building textures, basically eliminated it, but I had to go up to 48. Back up you cfg and try it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

And no, I am not going to limit the FPS internally, as I loose to much performance doing so. And of course, in v4 and v3.4, I did not have the issue also without using the internal frame limiter.

I know, but for whatever reason I recently experience blurries if not locking frames internally, although I don't like that.
See this post for more info.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Ok, interesting. I use the external limiter via nVidia Profile Inspector currently and I do not observe blurries. Just the black textures due to slow loading when changing view directions or views. You write that you get good results with an internal lock of 24FPS? I could not do that, as to me, 24FPS is not smooth anymore.

Greetings, Chris

Nope 30 fps. 

Same as the monitor frequency. 

Best regards,
David Roch

Well, did some tests now. It seems that TextureMaxLoad=48 indeed almost completely eliminates the black textures. However, I suffer now from various crashes with no real error message, not even in the eventviewer. Might be coincidential, but still obviously connected to the moment I added this line to the prepar3d.cfg.

Then, it seems as it continues to be my sweetspot if I have an AF setting together with the default FFTF entry and external frame limiter. I tried limiting the frames inside P3D, with or without AF and / or FFTF and as it was for v3.4 and FSX, the combination I have is still the best one for my rig regarding FPS, smooth display and blurry avoidance.

Greetings, Chris

Did you monitor your CPU temps, CPU load and your GFX usage?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Why should I? This not an word not allowed question, I am simply interested why CPU temp, CPU load or GFX usage should have an effect...

CPU temp is in my rig usually below 75°C. I never experienced anything above this, not even after 3-4h full load using other software. CPU Load is in the expected ranges: without AF, I usually get the main load on the first core, other cores and threads are less loaded. GFX usage I try to have it as high as possible, as only 80% load would mean that I waste GFX power (my opinion, might be also questionable). My GFX RAM is never full using P3D btw...

Greetings, Chris

With that snippy answer you can search for more infos on your problems yourself. You'll find the search field in the upper right corner.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Well, I purposly wrote that my question should not be considered as i g n o r a n t (auto-corrected to "word not allowed" due to whatever reason...) or "snippy" as I am really interested in the reason WHY you mention CPU temperature, load and GFX usage. But obviously I was not able to make myself clear enough, sorry for this. As I wrote, my CPU temperature, load and GFX usage are withing "normal" or at least "expected" ranges as far as I can judge, so I repeat with all kindness the question: how could those three parameters potentially affect the issues I have written above?

Greetings, Chris