Sign in to follow this  
Claudius_

P3d4.1 VR problem with night textures

Few days with a new Oculus Rift, I'm appreciating the VR in P3d4.1 but at night the sky textures become ugly, it is impossible to take screenshots because the visual difference between the headset and the monitor (generally darker than the headset). The sky in VR appears "rasterized" above the horizon, this happens to the terrain also, but you cannot feel it so bad because it is not uniform compared to the sky. Flying in the daytime at the moment is the only possibility without seeing those horrible textures. At last, let me express my thought about the Oculus Rift and flight sims: we have to wait for a better resolution, now you can appreciate how better the world appears in VR, but you can hardly distinguish things at 5 or 6 miles and it is difficult to read the panels, so I wouldn't buy the OR again.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Up, no reply from Oculus Rift users?

I am very satisfied with the performance and the immersion that I get from native VR. Considering that I can now use Chaseplane, the lower resolution is not a big deal, as I can set closer cameras and quickly glance at all the info I need.

As for the night-sky, I suggest that you play with some PTA profiles if you own it.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thank you for your reply, so the default sky night textures in Oculus Rift look just ugly. Yours look good anyway? have you looked at the "rasterized" milky way and high horizon? 

Mine looks decent. Also when using the monitor I do not find the night graphics of P3D to very good. XP11 is much better in that regard. 

Also worth noticing that I am using AS + ASCA.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

11 hours ago, rampa said:

Thank you for your reply, so the default sky night textures in Oculus Rift look just ugly. Yours look good anyway? have you looked at the "rasterized" milky way and high horizon? 

MIne doesn't look great - too light, and rasterised as you mention. I've played around with PTA and the display settings in P3D (like brightness). I suspect that this is a limitation of this generation of technology, I never get great blacks in P3D with the Oculus. But it's possible there's a fix, if so, let us know! 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thank you very much OzWithey, so now I know that I can fly without textures problems until the sunset! Generally the Oculus Rift gives a more bright image, when flying at night you can see your instrument panel without problems, not the same on the monitor where you can hardly distinguish anything without the help of a dome light. Also the Oculus Rift could be limited in the color range, but I'm just trying to find something in this strange Oculus darkness.

I changed to the PTA profile from this chap, its more subdued than some others so it helped with the rasterisation I was seeing after sunset. The sky being to bright is still a problem, however. Worth considering if you're using an aggressive, high-contrast PTA profile at the moment.

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I'm using ASP4+ASCA, no PTA at all. I'll try to exclude the sky color in the ASCA settings