Sign in to follow this  
sparkie66

GPU pegged at 99% p3d 4.1 no matter what

Does anyone have some light to shed on this, or has the same?

My gpu 980ti evga OC is pegged at 99% no matter what I do or change. I run 4790k at 4.8 ghz, and 4k res. (this isnt it, when i change to 1080p it still sits at 99%)

FPS as a result fluctuates a great deal, and sim is not smooth. I usually run at 30 hz and it was smooth as butter before 4.1. I dont go crazy with the settings eiter, but changing them doesnt do a thing, still 99% all the time, no fluctuations, just 99%. (Vram is 40% used)

edit: addons: UT live, chaseplane, GSX, FSUIPC 5. NGX and FSLabs A320 (+spotlights)

Aj7phqw.jpg

IUaVwsR.jpg

thx,

Roland

-Roland

My experience. If you select unlimited as a target frame rate it will use as much of the GPU as possible at all times. I use around 30 FPS and that give the GPU some breathing room with a smoother performance.

Johan Pienaar

Maybe try lowering lighting and autogen settings? I know Dynamic Lights can be a real performance killer with high AA. Water quality also makes a big difference at airports surrounded by water. 

Hmmm.... not that this is going to help as it's a mystery to me. I have generally higher settings than you and my GPU rarely hits more than 50% or so. I do have FPS limited to 30, which I know on my system results in a massive reduction in both GPU and CPU workload. I suggest you revisit those settings and see if something 'didn't take' when you tested before.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Go into task manager and what ever else your running with your Sim e.g. ASv4/ASCA... kick them off core 0 and 1

It will help.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

6 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Go into task manager and what ever else your running with your Sim e.g. ASv4/ASCA... kick them off core 0 and 1

It will help.

How will kicking addons off core 0 and 1 of Cpu help Gpu load?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Did no one notice the video card?  980Ti.  Didn't mention how much VRAM, but they're typically 4GB which a bit low for P3D v4.  I'd say it's time for a better video card.  Just my thoughts.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

To Ed's point, check your VRAM usage. If it's maxing out, a couple of judicious setting reductions could bring you below the line, then your FPS limiter might actually free up some GPU cycles.

Before a recent upgrade, I used a 980 (non ti) with P3D v4 in 4K without issues, by keeping a few critical settings in check.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

This may or may not be relevant, but I'm running a GTX 1070 with "Use high resolution terrain textures" selected and I my VRAM usage never gets to 4GB.

Roland, it is not specifically listed, but do you use Active Sky weather with ASCA? If so, one option would be to use lower resolution cloud textures. In ASCA set all cloud quality to 512x512. When I did that, I saw no difference in cloud texture quality.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Maybe you already tried this but ...

1. Delete the Shaders folder in %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

2. Delete the prepar3d.cfg in %appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Make backups if you feel the need but both will be rebuilt next time you start P3Dv4.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

Did no one notice the video card?  980Ti.  Didn't mention how much VRAM, but they're typically 4GB which a bit low for P3D v4.  I'd say it's time for a better video card.  Just my thoughts.

its a 6 gb card

-Roland

Could be a function of AA. Restore/Apply your Nvidia Control Panel profiles might help.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I did a re install of p3d. Now slowly adding the addons.

I know a 1080ti would be better, but the thing is that from v3.5 onward and also 4.0 was running nicely with 4k and 30hz. I dont mind somewhat low fps, but the stutters were really bad.

I will use some suggestions made her with the new setup. I also changed my main monitor back to a 1080p one and save the 4k for when I get the 1080ti. Locked the fps to 28 and used fftf 0.15. Now the GPU is at 40 - 50 % and frames more stable. (my 1080p monitor doesnt support 30 hz)

edit: I also reverted back to some old nvidia drivers, not sure if that helps. (clean install with DDU). Are there still drivers to avoid?

-Roland

2 hours ago, WarpD said:

Guess also "no one" noticed he already sad in the OP vram was at only 40% :biggrin:

Also, 980Ti is an awesome card... on par with the 1070s.... Wouldn't use it for 4K, but still not the problem since he already stated he tied other resolutions too...

Maybe drivers issue.

• Upvote 1