Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Ultrawide hd monitor distortion?

I am looking at 34 inch ultrawide monitor.Probably a silly question but It looks wide but not high.Does it distort cockpit etc?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Yes sir, but at only 34 inches I wouldn't think it would be that bad.

I went with a 55 inch 4K TV when I changed from using 3, 23 inch monitors, and it amazing.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have 3 32" Samsung curved monitors set up and it is somewhat distorted on the edges but would definitely go this route again if I had to.  Your concentration is in the center and you really don't notice it.

LouP

Are you saying you would go with 1 34 ,ultrawide instead of the 3 u are using?I just hooked up an older 32" Visio hdtv I have and it looks ok.Replaced Acer 28" monitor to try and not bad.Would ultrawide give me a big improvement?Thanks,Ron

10 minutes ago, rpowers said:

just hooked up an older 32" Visio hdtv I have and it looks ok

There is a tremendous difference between an HDTV and a 4k, I would never use the former while the 4K is absolutely tremendous.  With 4K TVs though, quality makes the difference. The only ones I would use are newer models of Samsung or LG.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

So you are saying I would be ok with high quality 4k tv instead of just a hd ultrawide monitor?Basically same price but I then have tv too.Thanks for info,Ron

That's exactly what I did.  I would only use a newer Samsung or LG as some 4Ks aren't really good for computers/gaming. Specs should tell you thought.

Screen shot below.

IODJeY9.jpg

Dave Hodges

Wow! That is a nice addition to your man cave.What specifically should I be looking for in specs?I am old guy and not to savvy on this new stuff.Thanks for any help.Ron

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

That's exactly what I did.  I would only use a newer Samsung or LG as some 4Ks aren't really good for computers/gaming. Specs should tell you thought.

Hi Dave,

Dang dude - but how you going to fit all THAT into your rack pan ??? Although you'd be surprised at the space you can find - used to travel with a full set of SCUBA sans the actual tank - in a seabag stashed in the overhead above the control room - never an issue if you really look...

Seriously though - nice setup - I like what I see and not just the hardware...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Impressive setup Dave! Are all those screens running off one computer?

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

4 hours ago, rpowers said:

So you are saying I would be ok with high quality 4k tv instead of just a hd ultrawide monitor?Basically same price but I then have tv too.Thanks for info,Ron

Going back to your original question, buying a 4K monitor instead of a 21:9 ultrawide monitor will not make any difference to the amount of distortion you will see at the edges. For the same physical width and the same sized image you will see the same distortion, since the distortion is not a function of the monitor. But a 4K has a better aspect ratio, so that's what I'd go for if I was sure I had a PC that could drive it.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Screen shot below.

IODJeY9.jpg

What does the menus look like on your 55" 4K TV? Are they super small and hard to read? Do you need to run your GTX 1070 in the DRS mode in order to get a 4K output or will it detect your 55" TV without that?

Terry

I ad surgery yesterday and typing its very easy. So I'm going to ask a friemd, someone who knows this even better than I do, to swing by and give you the info you'll need and straighten out a little incorrect info in this thread.  Listen to Rob, he's an expert.

Dave Hodges

19 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Dave,

Dang dude - but how you going to fit all THAT into your rack pan ??? Although you'd be surprised at the space you can find - used to travel with a full set of SCUBA sans the actual tank - in a seabag stashed in the overhead above the control room - never an issue if you really look...

Seriously though - nice setup - I like what I see and not just the hardware...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

Yeah, thanks the new, upcoming Maddog!

Dave Hodges