Sign in to follow this  
Bob650

Citation S550 Updated to Version 2.0

I currently own Carenado's Citation CJ2 with the GTN 750 mod.& am enjoying this aircraft. What's the difference between the two Cessna Biz Jets? I am wondering if it's worth it for me to purchase S550 model now that Carenado has made the GTN 750 integration part of this a\c. The GTN mod was the only reason why I purchased the CJ2.

Thanks,

Raymie

The 550 is much older and heavier. Very similar performance. I like the 550 more because I do like the 'classic' cockpit more than a glass cockpit and because the 550 has thrust reversers (although the Carenado implemention is less than perfect because you get only full reverse thrust)

Furthermore the CJ2 is much more forgiving when landing due to its trailing link landing gear. The 550 has a very short and stiff gear. 

• Upvote 1

On 25.10.2017 at 7:40 AM, C525B said:

I'm so stoked.  Super clean GTN integration, plus they did a nice thing and moved the MFD640 to the pedestal.  More excited about this v4 update than many of the new aircraft releases lately.  Carenado S/II is one of my all-time favorites.

I think I might finally get around to uploading my S/II repaints...Look for them on AVSIM by the end of the week.

C550_N232KS.jpg?raw=1

C550_N338B.jpg?raw=1

C550_N670DD.jpg?raw=1

N670DD is for sale.  One of the cheapest S/II's on the market today (use caution...should probably "enable random failures" with this one).  Love the paint though.

Nice!

Looking forward to these! 

Looking at avsim now, still not up :D

But it is worth the wait for some real C550 Repaints..:)

For those of you that do not have the S550 and you can wait a month, the Carenado sale usually starts in the beginning of December.  It's bound to be highly discounted then.

• Upvote 1

In light of the positive comments I have read about this updated version, I may keep it high on my list of next purchases. See what happens in December, until then, I will continue to fly the CJ2 with its GTN 750 mod.

Thanks,

Raymie

7 hours ago, Airway88 said:

Nice!

Looking forward to these! 

Looking at avsim now, still not up :D

But it is worth the wait for some real C550 Repaints..:)

Friday night's finally here... working on it now. :cool:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, J35OE said:

the 550 has thrust reversers (although the Carenado implemention is less than perfect because you get only full reverse thrust)

I recall that some users complained early on about the reverser animation being scaled to reverser-%...instead of fixing the model animation, Carenado chose to add code to GAUGEC2!GAUGE_UPDATE_DIG that forces any application of reverse to full reverse.  You can edit said gauge by deleting lines 388-395 and it will fix the problem, but your exterior animation of the reverser panels will be wrong.  Hawker has the same problem.

12 hours ago, Airway88 said:

It is so different, and is amazing to fly

The Citation was Cessnas first jet and they made it with a very heavy, airliner like, control feel. 

The CJ2  is noticable more nimble concerning handling, but I do like the heavy feel.

7 hours ago, C525B said:

I recall that some users complained early on about the reverser animation being scaled to reverser-%...instead of fixing the model animation, Carenado chose to add code to GAUGEC2!GAUGE_UPDATE_DIG that forces any application of reverse to full reverse.  You can edit said gauge by deleting lines 388-395 and it will fix the problem, but your exterior animation of the reverser panels will be wrong.  Hawker has the same problem.

That's the standard way the FSX/P3D reverser works. You can't simply 'fix' it.

I've got around that by reducing reverse thrust in the cfg file so the you have actually only idle reverse, as this the normal use IRL. 

That way the reverser buckets open fully upon selecting reverse thrust as they should.

16 hours ago, J35OE said:

That's the standard way the FSX/P3D reverser works. You can't simply 'fix' it.

I've got around that by reducing reverse thrust in the cfg file so the you have actually only idle reverse, as this the normal use IRL. 

That way the reverser buckets open fully upon selecting reverse thrust as they should.

That's semantic.  Plenty of add-on jets don't have this issue because the modeller chose to use a custom animation operated by XML code instead of scaling directly to "TURB ENG REVERSE NOZZLE PERCENT".  Carenado appears lazy in this regard.

Also flew the version 2. I really like the GTN750 installed. All working very well. Excellent job, Carenado!

Best regards,

Henry

It was parked in the hangar since FSX.

Now on P3Dv3 I updated it and the GTN750 integration is excellent.

Again, like in the past, I had to change

--> aircraft.cfg
[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar= 1.15

in order to achieve the published performance or else it stops climb to FL280~290 with medium loads.

• Upvote 1

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

2 hours ago, Kyprianos Biris said:

Again, like in the past, I had to change

--> aircraft.cfg
[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar= 1.15in order to achieve the published performance or else it stops climb to FL280~290 with medium loads.

High altitude climb performance has been fixed since the first official patch a long time ago. No need to increase the thrust scalar.