Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Can't Calibrate PFC Throttles correctly- ideas?

I have a problem with my PFC hardware that's a bit difficult to explain- so I made a video to help visualize. 

When beta testing the Q400 lately for P3Dv4 I haven't been able to control TQ- which are the first two levers. They both reach the top and bottoms of their ranges where they are supposed to, however during the travel, they both rise/fall at different rates. 

I sprayed Deoxit in the channels thinking- ok it's 5 years old, maybe there's oxidation. But it didn't help.  

This proves very difficult with multi-engine props/turboprops as I'm constantly having to move power levers to match each other. Sometimes, even more than one "knob length" apart to get power on each side to match. 

Is this a windows/software thing? A hardware problem? I've tried also swapping the USB outlet it was plugged into... searching for updated drivers, but to no avail.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

If using fsupc make sure that use controls is unchecked in prepar.....I had this problem, fixed it for me.

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

Just watched your video. They should be fine. In the real world the engines never match up. The throttles are always cockeyed.

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

Yeah- nothing ever was selected- I calibrate and assign axes purely through FSUIPC interface. 

In the real world they're mostly ok- I'd say 95% of the time. In my thousands of hours on saab 340s/king air/88s yes- I've experienced a few bad ones- even up to a knob-width off! But then this problem shouldn't be present on FADEC aircraft like the Q400. Currently some of the -88s I fly have an engine that accelerates faster than the other, but usually this is manageable. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi Brendan,

Unfortunately I think this is a hardware issue.

I recently had the same thing happening to my PFC throttle console where the two first axis would not move in sinc as your's is doing only not as bad. Initially the second axis would jump a bit as well. Some contact cleaner fixed that however not the difference in axis travel.

I contacted PFC & they sent me a new board with all new slider pots attached which makes it a simple job to replace. Just unclip the board cable, remove four screws & pop the new one in. Good as gold since.

However as my throttle was still not twelve months old I was not charged so can't give you any detail regarding cost.

I suggest you contact PFC support & explain to them what's happening.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit