Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSFX Packages 'Make Thunderstorms Great Again' released (Freeware!)

Can’t wait to install this myself.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Hmm, is it "Made in the U.S.A." product?

I've been using this for about 4 or 5 months, no performance impact on my systems so long as VSync is turned on, and with VSync on there is only a little performance impact (and then only for the time when structures are being lit up.

It's a winner.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

34 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've been using this for about 4 or 5 months, no performance impact on my systems so long as VSync is turned on, and with VSync on there is only a little performance impact (and then only for the time when structures are being lit up.

It's a winner.

Thanks for the tip!

Well, I'm confused. My installation of P3d V4.1 doesn't have any of the fx_cloud_lightning.fx files in its Effects subfolder, only one fx_plane_lightning.fx and the rest are just numbered fx_lightning0<N>.fx.

NM, I found them.

Looks really nice!

I wonder if these guys also will be able to make the rain look like rain again rather than snow.

I remember how they did that with PrecipitFX in earlier versions but P3Dv4 seems to be a different beast to tame.

Richard Åsberg

2 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Looks really nice!

I wonder if these guys also will be able to make the rain look like rain again rather than snow.

I remember how they did that with PrecipitFX in earlier versions but P3Dv4 seems to be a different beast to tame.

Indeed real looking rain instead of wet snow would be very welcome..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

We also have to wait for what the guys over at TOGA will come up with.

Let's see who will give us realistic rain in P3Dv4 first :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Can anyone confirm that this works with Active Sky? :) 

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Indeed real looking rain instead of wet snow would be very welcome..

As to the "wet snow"-looking rain of P3D, I am happy with PrecipitFX in V4. Improves rain significantly. Just remember to disable "Detailed Precipitation" within the sim. https://fsfxpackages.com/en/PrecipitFX/

1 hour ago, snapshot21 said:

Can anyone confirm that this works with Active Sky? :) 

I have just downloaded the effects and will test them later with ASP4 but I see no reason why it should not work with the weather engine. You just replace effect files.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

8 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

As to the "wet snow"-looking rain of P3D, I am happy with PrecipitFX in V4. Improves rain significantly. Just remember to disable "Detailed Precipitation" within the sim.

Yep, this is an option but as discussed before that will also get rid of the now very realistic snow in P3Dv4.

Sure, you can enable/disable the setting depending on the current weather situation but would be even better if you didn't have to but we could have realistic rain also with that new option enabled.

Let's hope LM or some of the 3rd party guys will find a fix to accomplish that!

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

20 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

I have just downloaded the effects and will test them later with ASP4 but I see no reason why it should not work with the weather engine. You just replace effect files.

I hope it works! The statement says "This package adds beautiful dynamic lighting to the default thunderstorms in Prepar3D v4." It says default so I hope it works with ones created by active sky :) 

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

Hi snapshot21,

I've tried setting the Wheather in "Major Thunderstom" and lighting produced  on buildings and airplanes in the apt
works well with Dynamic Lighting activated. As for ASP4, I would like to point out the site "blitzortung"
where real-time flashlight activity is shown in the world. There are currently lightning strikes
in the Atlantic along the US coast, Australia and the Mediterranean Sea between Libya and Greece.