Sign in to follow this  
SmokeDiddy

x plane 11 works on cheap Dell!

I recently bought a Dell Inspirion desktop for under $300. To my surprise the X plane 11 demo works better than i expected. It seems to have more fps than FSW with decent settings. The demo is playable and is good for me given how great it looks. I am planing on upgrading my graphics card and now i don't feel the need to go all out on a expensive one. My question is will the full version still perform as good as the demo? My settings are: 

Sim objects-high,

Reflection detail- min

Aliasing- up 2 notches,i think the texture setting is half way

System Specs:

i3 6100

HD 530 graphics

6gb ram

Thanks

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Oh forgot to mention that i use a 720p monitor which i'm sure helps the performance

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

The full version is exactly the same as the demo. you don't have to download again if you have the demo, just input the key, after you buy it to unlock the demo and you have it. 

Just be sure to keep the key in a safe place because at random times the sim will ask for the key. Copy and paste it in and you are good to go. 

If I may add to Donald's comment.

The demo only has Seattle, you need to run the installer and select the rest of the world or select the area you desire if HD space is limited (although by today's standards, I doubt it is).

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Yes, Xplane can run on some pretty even hardware, it does beautiful rendering on my system, take a peek at the screenshots forum and you will know what I mean.  You just have to steady your settings as you have done.  I love the sky rendering in Xplane.  I've flown over a quarter million miles as a passenger, and some hours as a student pilot, and the out the window view in Austin's sim is just remarkable. 

The improvements made in the clouds, everything says this is a top notch adjunct to us die-hards who like both P3D and Xplane for flight training scenarios.  I practice IFR flight, and VFR flight, in both sims.  My instructor has commended sim students on their knowledge of a cockpit, down to the scratches on the gauges.  But he urged me not to scan the instruments so much, but instead to use my hawk eyes, my ears, and the seat of my pants for flying.  He said any of us can be a good pilot from the gate, but to become an excellent pilot requires a commitment to VATSIM  or something similar.

Since my interest is mainly under part 103, I forgo  the complex comms and stick to Unicom fields, when I fly with instructors.  You can't rent a trike solo, obviously for the risk factor involved.  But I have confidence, and so did my two instructors, in flying a trike on my own.  I have flown trikes in a 30 mph crosswind aloft, and during a sudden downburst from a thunderstorm.  I was with an instructor both times, and I handled the control bars while they worked the throttles, because I have strong upper body strength (my legs are gettin' a bit old though, LOL).

John

On 10/24/2017 at 9:42 PM, SmokeDiddy said:

I am planing on upgrading my graphics card and now

My advice to definitely keep the graphics quality slider either, or below 'High'. Anything better than that, and the difference is barely noticeable, especially at 720p. With this configuration you want to save resources wherever you can. I'm happy that you can run X-plane, even on a Dell. Around 2001 when I was a kid, they bought me a Dell for Christmas, and my amazement those lovely Dell people has soldered off the AGP slot from the motherboard, so I couldn't upgrade the graphics card. Yes, Dell's aren't exactly for gaming (they are selling their grossly overpriced Alienware lineup for gamers). Hopefully they've stopped this practice, but before you buy a graphics card just take a look at that motherboard first!

wth?  Has my account been hacked?  I've never seen this thread and it looks like it was started by me

1 hour ago, Susu986 said:

Wow... now THAT is very strange... Do you have Dell Inspiron desktop computer?

No, I built my own custom system.  This is really strange!  I've since created a new stronger password.

4 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

No, I built my own custom system.  This is really strange!  I've since created a new stronger password.

Your signature should have tipped us off... :)

Well, at least we know that the perpetrator has a 300 dollar Dell computer purchased recently, and he (she?) also owns Flight Sim World, but not X-plane :) That's a start, now we need someone like Sherlock Holmes. :)

It's one of the strangest things you see on forums. I don't even get it... why not post this under your name (I mean the original post).

If you have any similar passwords, you might want to change those also...

Just now, Susu986 said:

If you have any similar passwords, you might want to change those also...

Aye, good point!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Hello i am the original poster. I registered under the user name KTU. I went back to check my post and it was posted by Smoke Diddy, i said who/what the hell is Smoke Diddy ? lol

i emailed admin, no response

Thanks for the helpful comments, i will upgrade to the full version 

I merged the accounts as our system showed the accounts may be duplicate and it is against our Terms to have multiple accounts.  Both individuals had the same IP address too.

I'm going to close this topic because of the accounts are not correct as I merged them.  Future posts/topics should reflect the right members.  Apologize for the inconvenience!

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10