Sign in to follow this  
VFRHawk

AutoStarX/P3DV4 get rid of the comet?

Hi,

Anyone in here use AuitoStarX with V4?  I've ben using it for a few days now, but I can't seem to get rid of the comet image that appears in the sky.  I've taken the tick out of the show comet box then run make stars.  I've even tried renaming any files I can find it's directory with comet in their names to .old.  Whatever I do, I get a glorious amount of stars, but always the comet appears.

Maybe it's an omen!  :)

Graham

Look in your main texture folder for these 2 files. Comet West.bmp, Comet Swan.bmp

Do you mean in Lockheed Martin \ Prepared V4 \ Textures?  Nothing named comet anything in there...

I do (or did) have them in the AutoStarX bitmaps folder.  I'd added .old to their names.  Though I've gone and checked that and I'd typo'd and added ,old to one!  Maybe that's the problem, I'm off to give it a try!

Graham

OK, run autostarx then uncheck show comet.

Another thing I noticed in my sky was a small square with like 9 dots in the sky, looks a bit out of place. Does anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

14 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Another thing I noticed in my sky was a small square with like 9 dots in the sky, looks a bit out of place. Does anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it?

Maybe it was these guys. Otherwise that is strange.

http://ovVFGM0.jpg

• Upvote 3

Yep, that looks to have sorted my problem - embarrassing when you can't even .old a file properly!  :(

Graham

39 minutes ago, bills511 said:

Maybe it was these guys. Otherwise that is strange.

http://ovVFGM0.jpg

Is this suppose to be a joke?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

36 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Is this suppose to be a joke?

Yes, of course it was a joke. That photo is from a Superman movie. If you see that image in P3D somethings seriously wrong.

• Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

It’s probably the Pleiades aka Seven Sisters that you see. It becomes most visible in late Oct through Nov. You could check it against a celestial chart.

• Upvote 1

Are those comets visible all of the time? Comet West graced Earth's skies in 1976, but it will be a very long time before it is seen again!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

It’s probably the Pleiades aka Seven Sisters that you see. It becomes most visible in late Oct through Nov. You could check it against a celestial chart.

You're probably right, although it sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't look natural at all... is there a way to remove it but keep the rest?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, captain420 said:

You're probably right, although it sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't look natural at all... is there a way to remove it but keep the rest?

I don't think you can removed constellations but you can tone down the size of the stars. You'll have to read the manual since I don't have it in front of me to give specific instructions.

9 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Does Autostar work with v4? I thought it was for FSX?

It works just fine in P3Dv4....just back up your star.dat file just in case.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png