Sign in to follow this  
mkear

Saitek second throttle quadrant - how to add it?

I have a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, which comes with a throttle quadrant that connects to the yoke via a PS/2 plug into a PS/2 socket on the back of the yoke.     I have bought a second throttle quadrant on ebay, which I figured was supposed to be able to connect to the yoke as well,  but there's only one PS/2 socket on the yoke.       

How does the second quadrant connect to the yoke?  

Cheers
Mike Kear
WIndsor, NSW, Australia 

24 minutes ago, mkear said:

How does the second quadrant connect to the yoke?

You need the version of the throttle that has a USB connector,

Are you saying that the one you bought from ebay was PS2 ?

I do not believe that unattached throttle quadrants come with the ps2 connection ... they are, I think, all USB

You have a couple of choices.

You can plug it  straight  into one of your computer USB ports,

you can plug it into the back of your Saitek Yoke (it has two USB ports to my knowledge as well as the ps2 connection) or,

you can plug it into a USB powered hub. 

I have the yoke, trim wheel and a spare quadrant. I have the yoke and everything else plugged into a powered USB hub and thus far have had no problems. If you elect to plug the PS2 and two other USB devices intro your yoke I would recommend that you buy (if you do not already have) a power supply for the yoke.

Your sim should automatically detect the device and it should be ready for any AXIS and button/key assignments you may wish to give it. If not then I would suggest a trip via internet to Saitek/Logitech for the applicable Win 7 or 10 drivers

I hope that clears it all up for you.

Cheers and regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Glynn, yes it's got a PS/2 plug on it.   So i guess it's the one that came with the yoke not the separate additional quadrant.   I bought a PS/2 - USB adapter but I suppose the power isnt getting to the quadrant because the little green LED doesnt come on.   

So here's an interesting question - I never got to mix too much with PS/2 devices apart from a mouse when they were the rage ...  does the PS/2 standard have power?  So if i get the right adapter, and power it into a powered USB hub is it going to power my quadrant?   

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia. 

3 hours ago, mkear said:

does the PS/2 standard have power

It probably did as a lot of old keyboards had numlock and caps lock lights.

The main problem you are going to have is getting them recognised as separate devices as they will be detected as identical pieces of hardware.

best put it back on ebay and look for the usb version, Saitek built them like this for a reason.

3 hours ago, mkear said:

Glynn, yes it's got a PS/2 plug on it.   So i guess it's the one that came with the yoke not the separate additional quadrant.   I bought a PS/2 - USB adapter but I suppose the power isnt getting to the quadrant because the little green LED doesnt come on.

Then you are wasting your time. This quadrant doesn't have an interface board inside it so it's never going to work. As others have said, you need to get a USB quadrant, which has its own interface board and hence functions independently of the yoke.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thank you for your advice everyone.   Like so many other parts of my life, I learn by my mistakes.    It never occurred to me that there were two different quadrants, but of course it should have - i have been around long enough to have known. 

What I thought just might be a fairly simple thing has turned out to be an awful lot of learning.     But i still think the destination is worth the journey so I'll keep going until i have my yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrants as i originally envisaged.  

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia