Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Locking Frame Rate

Sorry, Steve, but your text is sometimes really hard to understand for noobs like me. Does this answer now mean that using the AM I wrote is ok or not? Together with the AM 1365 for the sim?

BTW: I now tried the F00 affinity mask for ActiveSky, again a no-go. Somehow, ActiveSky is the only .exe that does not accept my settings, why? I do not know...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1365 seems OK.

With a BAT - If an app won't go then it won't go - let it be and so maybe it starts on core zero, we have no idea how it will spread or what tasks do the most work per LP. 

So maybe let it start on core zero but truncate your sim AM to 01,01,01,01,01,00 or maybe try  01,01,11,01,01,00 to move it off the favoured core of the addon app.

With the different batch methods available have you tried this way?

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Notepad" /affinity A00 "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

(all one line)

use HEX values for the AM and put the complete path to the exe in there.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yes, I tried all the possible ways you explained on the code legend homepage as well as the string Mike suggested. While it always fires up ActiveSky, it never restricts it to the cores I want. And why should it work for Mike but not for me? I do not get it...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Continuing to use Active Sky for P3D4 as the example:

AS_P3Dv4.exe

DFtex21.jpg

Active Sky for P3D4.bat

yE6IKOB.jpg

CPU Usage History

TtUq4ho.jpg

So, it appears that Active Sky only requires 2 LPs to function correctly. The App has decided, without any interventions on my part, while operating within its user-assigned Affinity.

Mike

Thanks for the screenshots, I always believed that it is working for you, but I did not find the reason why it is not working for me. Until now: opening the properties of the desktop symbol, the AS symbol was the only one that had "run as administrator" not checked. I changed that and now it works. Thanks for the help and patience guys!

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Depending on issues on the system of privileges the BAT might not work. The correct methods of installing add-ons and sim are not clearly understood and a simple problem can lead to issues regarding rights and privileges preventing things from working reliably. 

Edited by SteveW

...beaten to it. There are some apps that try to force Admin on us and unless they make *system* changes while we are "User" they -need not be Admin-. So check the app before running "Not as Admin" since it might not get access to some resource.

I found that some programs (Spad.next) have a .ini or .cfg that is run by the exe and sets the affinity , so you setting it with a .bat makes no diff as the program after changes it to its  preset...

Jorge

On 9/15/2018 at 3:49 AM, SteveW said:

OK how about what happens after the sim is started up and you then add a SImConnect client? Forget dlls they are run in the sim so they can't be moved out. Extra threads are created within the affinity of the sim to support the client and the client exe runs on another core (if we put it there). Remember that after the layout is complete the AM can be expanded to support more spare cores for the additional threads coming in. Guys have posted in forums about going into task manager and enabling more cores after it started and before it was unpaused or some such like that. So it has been noticed that there is some extra performance available somewhere, somehow.

Doesn't this yet "spread the shared cache thinner than need be"?

Thanks!

PS: it might...

Edited by Dirk98

11 hours ago, aeronauta said:

I found that some programs (Spad.next) have a .ini or .cfg that is run by the exe and sets the affinity , so you setting it with a .bat makes no diff as the program after changes it to its  preset...

Jorge

Yes, therefore I also wanted to mention that usually before assigning AM to an App you need to look through its manual or its readme in respect of the affinity. Example: RXP GNS and GTN guages. Otherwise don't assign an AM yet with a batch or tools, just check what affinity shows Task Manager in default, "unsolicited" form.

Edited by Dirk98

5 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Doesn't this yet "spread the shared cache thinner than need be"?

Thanks!

PS: it might...

No because it doesn't create more threads, you're probably thinking that this is used up by core-count.

Ok, guys, now with those bat files in action, my sim is really super smooth. Flew from LEPA to LSZH yesterday, using the A321 from AS, ProATC/X, ActiveSky and REX for the weather depiction and together with the GSX Level 2 fix from FSDT, it resulted in a super smooth flight from A to B. Almost no hickups, high FPS even on approach to Zurich, wonderful. Should have dealt with those .bat files a long time ago, it basically made my already good running sim a perfect running sim. Thanks again for all the help and advice!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

4 hours ago, AnkH said:

Ok, guys, now with those bat files in action, my sim is really super smooth. Flew from LEPA to LSZH yesterday, using the A321 from AS, ProATC/X, ActiveSky and REX for the weather depiction and together with the GSX Level 2 fix from FSDT, it resulted in a super smooth flight from A to B. Almost no hickups, high FPS even on approach to Zurich, wonderful. Should have dealt with those .bat files a long time ago, it basically made my already good running sim a perfect running sim. Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Glad to hear it's worked out! Basically all this was sorted out way back since early FSX days but folks didn't have enough cores to play with back then..

This, and the fact that in FSX days, I somehow never ran into problems like this, as I was happy with my AM=85 for my 3770K and the only external addon I used was the real weather addon, that used so little resources. Now, with the new build, the opportunities P3Dv4 finally offers (shadows, DL, extended autogen radius, TrueGlass, PTA and so on) and the increasing demands from my side, I was obviously in need of such a modified setup.

Greetings, Chris

Hi All, thanks for all the help in this and other threads regarding AM's. 

So I have setup Rex Skyforce & Track IR now with batch files. They are set to last 4 cores (F000) in HEX. Took a bit of working out. It did not like me just copy pasting the text from Mike's post. Some weird invisible text was getting in the way! But got it going now. 

Next question, I'm using Ultimate Traffic Live. I quite like it and it works well for me filling the skies with aircraft. How can I start UTL in this manner? UTL obviously gets started by P3D during startup. 

At the moment I am going into task manager and assigning cores after P3D has started it up. Is there any way to start UTL with affinity mask? Something to edit somewhere?

Cheers,

Bully.

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/