Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Locking Frame Rate

VSync, TB, and fps Slider on the Display Setting page P3D.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I am getting a little confused. Without wanting to hijack the thread may I ask?

With 120hz monitor ( 27",1920 x 1080) and frames locked at 60 fps; should I then have Vsync off or is there still some benefit to using it? And if "on" should I expect triple buffering to be of benefit?

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

1 minute ago, JesC said:

I am getting a little confused. Without wanting to hijack the thread may I ask?

With 120hz monitor ( 27",1920 x 1080) and frames locked at 60 fps; should I then have Vsync off or is there still some benefit to using it? And if "on" should I expect triple buffering to be of benefit?

Thanks,

Jesse

VSync=On in the P3D display setting page obtains the monitor frequency for calculating the GPU output timing. Locked fps on the slider implies the timing and so VSync is ignored. VSync in the P3D display setting page should not be confused with the vertical synchronisation of monitors display to prevent tearing within the image.

• Upvote 1

My monitor is 60Hz so I'm not qualified to answer any questions there.   As for setting up the monitor refresh,  you can do this via the NVidia control panel or use the link below for a freeware hot key to do it for you.  Works really well and makes it easy to switch from 30 to 60.

https://funk.eu/hrc/

14 minutes ago, SteveW said:

VSync=On in the P3D display setting page obtains the monitor frequency for calculating the GPU output timing. Locked fps on the slider implies the timing and so VSync is ignored. VSync in the P3D display setting page should not be confused with the vertical synchronisation of monitors display to prevent tearing within the image.

Thanks Steve. I think that is just what I needed to understand. Also explains why I couldn't discern any difference with Vsync on or off.

Jesse

• Upvote 1

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

That's right Jesse, the Triple Buffer and VSync are in use or the Locked fps with the look-ahead system is used.

All the Best.

14 minutes ago, Tony P said:

My monitor is 60Hz so I'm not qualified to answer any questions there.   As for setting up the monitor refresh,  you can do this via the NVidia control panel or use the link below for a freeware hot key to do it for you.  Works really well and makes it easy to switch from 30 to 60.

https://funk.eu/hrc/

So dumb question here, but if I have a 60hz monitor, wouldn't I want to keep it there or would I still want to lower it to 30 and then use unlimited frames and vsync?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

3 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

So dumb question here, but if I have a 60hz monitor, wouldn't I want to keep it there or would I still want to lower it to 30 and then use unlimited frames and vsync?

Not dumb at all. When we limit the refresh frequency down to 30 or below we start to see the mouse pointer drag in a less comfortable way. So 60Hz or more suits the Windows display better. But using a lower refresh rate to steer the P3D VSync setting to run at a slower fps reduces the throughput of the GPU.

Ok... Maybe I won't mess with anything then since I am relatively content with my settings and performance.  The last thing I want to do is to start messing around with stuff and breaking a good thing!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Bringing up an old thread here, but may I throw a proverbial spanner in the works?

I currently run Medium to High sensible settings, and run at Unlimited FPS, Vert Sync ON and TB ON, all in the sim.

Running on a 60 hz monitor with a i7 7700k at 4.5, and a 1080 GzPU, all from a Samsung 860 m.2 drive...... so, no slouch !

I have managed to set everything to get at least 60 fps in many aircraft 99 percent of the time.

But, when I get to an OrbX airport, like Southampton (not too severe) - and I do have a weakness for my 3D grass ! - it can drop into the low 50s or even high 40s.

Now, I have decided that rather than remove FTX England and/or avoid OrbX airports (and there is no way I am losing my 3D sheep's fescue grass !), I need a way to retain smoothness and avoid tearing.

I hate 30 fps ..... sorry, but I just do, and as such, my settings are very sensible.....no dynamic lighting, sliders around midway, none of this true glass rubbish.... etc..........so what about getting a G sync monitor ?

If I get one, and say it runs at 144 hz., how would I set it all up to run at a max of 60 fps, but not tear or stutter when it drops to the high 40s and 50s ?

.........presumably G sync is set up in the nVidia CP, so what does one do about vert sync and TB and FPS limit, in sim ?

..................Now, there's a question !!!

(.....that I hope you can answer, as these monitors start at 700 quid and I won't bother if it is going cause even more problems !)

P.S if it was a possible cure, should I go for a 120 or 144 hz - and do I heed one that can be set in the monitor firmware, to run at 60 or 30 ???

I am guessing that setting Vert sync in P3D will take care of the timing issues (and leaving it at unlimited) - as per advice above, but that the G sync will then maintain the 60 fps max, and when it drops to 50 or 48 or whatever, the monitor will take care of the stuttering and tearing.......?

Many thanks for any advice. (I currently use a 244 affinity on your advice and it all runs very nice for the most part.)

Edited by Gabe777

On 10/25/2017 at 1:14 PM, Tony P said:

My 2 cents... set VSYNC & TB on with Unlimited and then set your monitor refresh to 30Hz.  Amazingly smooth performance. 

Try it!

Thanks for the tip!

I have a 60Hz and your tip lead me to test 50Hz. That's the lowest I can go in Nvidia CP. I already have VSYNC & TB on in P3d v4.2. I locked fps at 25 instead of 30 and it's very smooth.

My old 2600K & GTX 970 can not maintain 30fps with the setting that I want or the CRJ, but 25 seems significantly better. I wish Inspector would force p3d to run at 1/2 refresh rate. It doesn't work. Maybe then I could run with Unlimited fps and avoid the blurry ground textures and get even better performance.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My experience: V-sync off frames unlimited, 40 to 140 FPS depending on where I'm flying, smooth and stutter free. Frames locked at 30, no change, the sim is fantastic. The big difference is that with the frames locked at 30 my video card is running 10 deg C cooler. So I will continue to lock my frames to ease thermal stress on the system.

David A Gubert

I've got a question about this Topic. Why do I get 20 FPS when I set the framrate in P3D to unlimted an why do I get max. 13 FPS when I set the slider to limited 30 FPS?

4 hours ago, mobiel said:

I've got a question about this Topic. Why do I get 20 FPS when I set the framrate in P3D to unlimted an why do I get max. 13 FPS when I set the slider to limited 30 FPS?

Locked frame rate creates a look-ahead buffer, so in effect your system is making two frames where it only makes one in Unlimited. Start a setup with all sliders and functionality reduced. Creep up those sliders and traffic settings until you start to see performance drop. Go back a notch from there and get on with flying!

Spoiler
On 3/19/2018 at 3:20 AM, Gabe777 said:

Bringing up an old thread here, but may I throw a proverbial spanner in the works?

I currently run Medium to High sensible settings, and run at Unlimited FPS, Vert Sync ON and TB ON, all in the sim.

Running on a 60 hz monitor with a i7 7700k at 4.5, and a 1080 GzPU, all from a Samsung 860 m.2 drive...... so, no slouch !

I have managed to set everything to get at least 60 fps in many aircraft 99 percent of the time.

But, when I get to an OrbX airport, like Southampton (not too severe) - and I do have a weakness for my 3D grass ! - it can drop into the low 50s or even high 40s.

Now, I have decided that rather than remove FTX England and/or avoid OrbX airports (and there is no way I am losing my 3D sheep's fescue grass !), I need a way to retain smoothness and avoid tearing.

I hate 30 fps ..... sorry, but I just do, and as such, my settings are very sensible.....no dynamic lighting, sliders around midway, none of this true glass rubbish.... etc..........so what about getting a G sync monitor ?

If I get one, and say it runs at 144 hz., how would I set it all up to run at a max of 60 fps, but not tear or stutter when it drops to the high 40s and 50s ?

.........presumably G sync is set up in the nVidia CP, so what does one do about vert sync and TB and FPS limit, in sim ?

..................Now, there's a question !!!

(.....that I hope you can answer, as these monitors start at 700 quid and I won't bother if it is going cause even more problems !)

P.S if it was a possible cure, should I go for a 120 or 144 hz - and do I heed one that can be set in the monitor firmware, to run at 60 or 30 ???

I am guessing that setting Vert sync in P3D will take care of the timing issues (and leaving it at unlimited) - as per advice above, but that the G sync will then maintain the 60 fps max, and when it drops to 50 or 48 or whatever, the monitor will take care of the stuttering and tearing.......?

Many thanks for any advice. (I currently use a 244 affinity on your advice and it all runs very nice for the most part.)

You pretty much described me and my taste, except my 3d grass is LAX with Orbx in the background.  

I took a chance at the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q.  I run unlimited frames with no sync of any kind at the highest refresh rate -144 to 165 depending how warm the room is. That "no sync" includes Gsync. I find Gsync to be somewhat laggy and can induce screen tearing, not unlike the software vsync.

Anyway, the monitor is silky smooth all the way down to 25 fps. I love it and would buy it again.

And in case anyone is wondering; it does not do 30Hz ...does 23 or 24 with the next fastest timing being 60Hz.