Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Intel Will no Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-will-no-longer-disclose-multi-core-turbo-boost-frequencies.html

For it's newest processors, Intel will only report the single core turbo boost frequency and not the multicore boost frequency. The i7-8700 with a base clock of 3.7 GHz has a reported turbo boost frequency of 4.7 GHz, but the 6 core frequency is only 4.3 GHz.

With Asus boards and I believe most others, multicore enhancement is on by default. So all cores run at the max turbo frequency. We enthusiasts will keep MCE on or be manually overclocking so what Intel reveal or don't reveal re multicore turbo frequencies isn't relevent.

37 minutes ago, martin-w said:

We enthusiasts will keep MCE on or be manually overclocking so what Intel reveal or don't reveal re multicore turbo frequencies isn't relevent.

That fact notwithstanding, this is a cheap marketing tactic that will ensnare many buyers who are not necessarily overclocking enthusiasts.  At its best it's low-brow, something a company like Intel need not do.

Greg

• Upvote 1

Yes, it certainly sounds like a marketing ploy intended to ensnare the less tech savvy buyers. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

47 minutes ago, stans said:

Yes, it certainly sounds like a marketing ploy intended to ensnare the less tech savvy buyers. 

As I guess I fall into that bracket and considering an upgrade next year,what exactly does this mean?

My current oc done with the asus software oc'd my 4930k to 4.5 which appears across all 6 cores  are you saying that not all cores might be running at 4.5?

Pete Little

On 25/10/2017 at 11:21 PM, lownslo said:

That fact notwithstanding, this is a cheap marketing tactic that will ensnare many buyers who are not necessarily overclocking enthusiasts.  At its best it's low-brow, something a company like Intel need not do.

Greg

Yep, pretty much agree Greg. Many assume Turbo runs at it's max frequency on all cores. By not revealing the true frequencies of each core Intel are encouraging that misunderstanding. 

22 hours ago, mazelda said:

As I guess I fall into that bracket and considering an upgrade next year,what exactly does this mean?

My current oc done with the asus software oc'd my 4930k to 4.5 which appears across all 6 cores  are you saying that not all cores might be running at 4.5?

Many people don't realise that Intel Turbo doesn't run at the max frequency on all cores. One crore will run at the max, the others at a lower frequency. This is how Turbo works and always has. Intel used to be quite open about the lower frequencies on the other cores. Now they are saying it's propriety information and keeping it to themselves.

You overclocked with the Asus software, in which case the Asus software will have overridden Turbo and set the frequency the same on all cores. So you are fine.

Even if you don't overclock at all, and set optimised defaults, Asus boards will still set MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) to auto. So all cores to the same max Turbo frequency. This is sometimes a bone of contention, as some inexperienced users with sub standard coolers, won't be aware of this and find their CPU's hotter than they would like. 

MCE of course, when it sets all cores to the same max Turbo frequency, will rely on Asus auto rules to set the voltage. That voltage has to be okay for the lesser chips in the silicone lottery, so will be higher than necessary for most.

I believe other MB manufactures have something akin to MCE too. 

many thanks for that Martin,

Fortunately, I've never suffered from the overheating or voltage issues. I'm using an h110 water cooler so my temps never get too near the max and my voltages are about 1.4v and been at that for the last couple of years,I do think i might be able to get slight increase in speed but this would require me to start fiddiling which I don't think would achieve much in the way of extra performance in p3d  

Pete Little

On 27/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, mazelda said:

many thanks for that Martin,

Fortunately, I've never suffered from the overheating or voltage issues. I'm using an h110 water cooler so my temps never get too near the max and my voltages are about 1.4v and been at that for the last couple of years,I do think i might be able to get slight increase in speed but this would require me to start fiddiling which I don't think would achieve much in the way of extra performance in p3d  

Good news re your cooling. The voltage MCE generates isn't an issue, unless an unsuspecting individual, who isn't aware of how MCE works, has a less than top-notch cooling solution. Confusion then ensues as to why they are getting high temps. perfectly fine for you to leave MCE on if your cooling cam handle it.

As I said, auto rules will increase voltage to handle a rubbish CPU in the CPU lottery, which will be unnecessary for most CPU's, but the MB manufacturers auto rules won't increase  voltage beyond a safe level.

This is why you see 1.4 volts. It's a voltage set somewhat high (but safe) by the boards auto rules. You could try tweaking it down to reduce temp. But given you are happy with your temps, no real need. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 5:18 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-will-no-longer-disclose-multi-core-turbo-boost-frequencies.html

For it's newest processors, Intel will only report the single core turbo boost frequency and not the multicore boost frequency. The i7-8700 with a base clock of 3.7 GHz has a reported turbo boost frequency of 4.7 GHz, but the 6 core frequency is only 4.3 GHz.

I suspect they will not follow through on this. The associated bad press from the industry and enthusiast community would overshadow any practical advantage, don't you think?

Kind regards,

I suspect that they will. Most "enthusiasts" OC with turbo mode off and don't care about Intel's marketing hype. The average gamer will just look at the turbo boost and go "neato".

• Upvote 2

The problem here could be the Motherboard manufactures will not want to upset Intel and toe the line, we know that some said they could update the 270 to take the latest 1151 CPU`s but intel slapped them down and said NO. You do not bite the hand that feeds you .

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I suspect that they will. Most "enthusiasts" OC with turbo mode off and don't care about Intel's marketing hype. The average gamer will just look at the turbo boost and go "neato".

I suspect they will too... and then "spin" it so that their new marketing in some way makes the product seemingly better for the consumer.

Greg

On 03/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, rjfry said:

The problem here could be the Motherboard manufactures will not want to upset Intel and toe the line, we know that some said they could update the 270 to take the latest 1151 CPU`s but intel slapped them down and said NO. You do not bite the hand that feeds you .

Not sure what you mean. How will MB manufacturers toe the line?

Max Turbo applies to one core. Intel are simply saying they wont publish data on the frequency of the other cores. MB manufactures, just like they have for quite a time now, will continue to include Multi Core Enhancement, enabling us to run all cores at the max turbo frequency if we so desire.

Nothing is changing apart from Intel keeping the frequency of the slower cores to themselves. Most of us here, being enthusiasts, wont care less about it.