Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Flightfactor and FSLabs A320: direct comparison

To me, FSX/P3D vs XPlane debates have always seemed a bit silly, because they often depart from sensible discussion (which is valid and useful) and turn into mud-slinging. But in this case comparisons between two A320 addons both claiming to be the best you can get are inevitable. Also, I think this is a helpful thing to look at for XPlane skeptics who stay away from the sim because of a lack of good airliners. It seems like every major airliner release recently has been hyped as the true "study level" addon that XPlane needs, but everything so far has fallen a bit short. But, even though it's still in beta, the Flight Factor A320 seems to be living up to the hype! The presenter seems to have found two instances where the Flightfactor was actually more accurate than the FSLabs, although the Flightfactor has some errors itself (APU bleed air PSI, for example). This is only part one, but the FF seems to be off to a great start. 

• Upvote 3

As per words of developer of FF A320, it's seems a little bit incorrect to compare a model, which is released relatively long time ago with lot of patches and a model which was just put on open beta. 

Netherless it's seems that difference in terms of simulations and general quality is not so big. So I'm glad for XP fans as they are getting high quality plane in their sim. 

Also, as for now, FF is planning to release this bird for Prepar 

1 hour ago, Maks_Pathfinder said:

As per words of developer of FF A320, it's seems a little bit incorrect to compare a model, which is released relatively long time ago with lot of patches and a model which was just put on open beta. 

Netherless it's seems that difference in terms of simulations and general quality is not so big. So I'm glad for XP fans as they are getting high quality plane in their sim. 

Also, as for now, FF is planning to release this bird for Prepar 

Really?  when did they announce a release for P3D? Have you got a link?

It looks like it's going to be a solid plane indeed.

As for comparisons, even more in favour of the FF since it is scoring some points against another plane who received fixes and new features tooo since it was released

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

What is the qualifications of this person comparing the models?    I want to see the opinions of some of the type rated pilots, hopefully some will do a comparison. Plus before we get into who modeled what correctly we have to factor in how different software versions of the a320 behave differently.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I've been dabbling with various A320 since around 2000 -2001 and beta tested a couple of them and have a little experience on the Level D sims as well. I've waited a very long time for an accurate A320 as have many others no doubt.

The FSLabs A320 is certainly an excellent product. I fully expected it to be the only accurate A320 produced for a desktop simulation. I can't claim to have tried it in P3DV4 yet as my system is in storage pending a house move. I'm not too sure what has been fixed with respect to the FMGS that was released in P3DV3 but there were a few bugs and omissions in that version (peculiar constraint/limit handling, problems with managed descents, missing messages - TOO STEEP PATH, MORE DRAG, vertical path intercept missing on ND etc.) that needed to be fixed although some have been promised for SP1. The systems modelling is excellent.

With the Flight Factor A320, looking at various YouTube videos, the FMGS seems to be more comprehensive with the above omissions modeled accurately. Furthermore the FBW has been demonstrated as well as the systems that appear to have been built in a similar fashion to FSL with valves, relays, circuit breakers etc interacting with each other as if they were built as part of a system. Consequently ECAM and SD pages work as one would expect. One video shows a command line interface where such valves, relays etc can be failed although it is not clear whether this will be in the final product. Another excellent video shows a Managed NPA with rain on the windshield and wipers adding a significant level of immersion. As far as I can see there is no Weather Radar.

Bear in mind that the videos show a beta and some of the demonstrations seem to be done by those not completely familiar with an A320. Just type in FF A320 or Flight Factor A320 in You Tube and form your own opinion.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

On 11/6/2017 at 0:58 AM, mikea76 said:

Plus before we get into who modeled what correctly we have to factor in how different software versions of the a320 behave differently.  

This should be completely irrelevant for the type of fidelity that is the goal for both products. The FF version for example runs competely externally to XP to overcome the limitations imposed by the sim. Unless of course you are referring to the FMGS revisions.

4 hours ago, DescendDescend said:

As far as I can see there is no Weather Radar.

Bear in mind that the videos show a beta and some of the demonstrations seem to be done by those not completely familiar with an A320. Just type in FF A320 or Flight Factor A320 in You Tube and form your own opinion.

The WX radar and some other features are as of now disabled for the beta test. Here are the rest as well as known bugs for the initial beta release:

- Icing related things and effects.
- Some problems with APU, it's model is a subject to complete replacement. Control logics works as expected.
- Unexpected behaviour of conditioning system in some cases.
- Some FWC aural warnings, including stall, speed, windshare, pitch.
- Some FWC warnings (about 5% still not implemented).
- FWC warnigs override logics (primary faults is not hiding secondary).
- Failures's linkage with sim and any interface.
- Behaviour of the systems during faults.
- Minor systems: recorder, evacuation lights and logics, masks oxygen, cargo heat/smoke, etc.
- FMGS: some alternate route\airport functions, fix info, offset, abeam points, step alts, pilot holds.
- Full EGPWS map (only loaded by the sim region is shown on the map).
- Some self test logics.

2 hours ago, sizziano said:

This should be completely irrelevant for the type of fidelity that is the goal for both products. The FF version for example runs competely externally to XP to overcome the limitations imposed by the sim. Unless of course you are referring to the FMGS revisions.

The WX radar and some other features are as of now disabled for the beta test. Here are the rest as well as known bugs for the initial beta release:

- Icing related things and effects.
- Some problems with APU, it's model is a subject to complete replacement. Control logics works as expected.
- Unexpected behaviour of conditioning system in some cases.
- Some FWC aural warnings, including stall, speed, windshare, pitch.
- Some FWC warnings (about 5% still not implemented).
- FWC warnigs override logics (primary faults is not hiding secondary).
- Failures's linkage with sim and any interface.
- Behaviour of the systems during faults.
- Minor systems: recorder, evacuation lights and logics, masks oxygen, cargo heat/smoke, etc.
- FMGS: some alternate route\airport functions, fix info, offset, abeam points, step alts, pilot holds.
- Full EGPWS map (only loaded by the sim region is shown on the map).
- Some self test logics.

2 hours ago, sizziano said:

Yes, I was referring to FMGS revisions... depending on MSN there could be quite a few differences in the models, even if both were 100 percent accurate

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

18 minutes ago, mikea76 said:

Yes, I was referring to FMGS revisions... depending on MSN there could be quite a few differences in the models, even if both were 100 percent accurate

100% correct. Of course FF will add Rev2 later in the development cycle.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, Patriot3810 said:

when is the a320 gonna be available again? flight factor said soon, i have missed it

No set date, I would estimate before the end of the year. The beta testing is going very well.