Sign in to follow this  
PepeBiondi

Question on precipitfx and/vs immersion packages

Hi, I was looking through the products, and and I'm trying to understand the differences. 

I see precipitfx has contrails, jet wash, etc. and the same about immersion.  What exactly is the difference? What does immersion packages provide that precipitfx doesn't? Also is it mostly for ppl that like watching the plane from the outside mostly? (Or do videos, replays, etc) 

Lastly, as of now (oct 2017), and with p3d v4/v4.1... does precipitfx *really* provide things p3d doesn't ? (Or at least improve on like the crappy rain fsx has for example, or is p3d rain now better?)

Thanks for whatever info you provide, trying to decide if I should purchase or not.

58 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

I see precipitfx has contrails, jet wash, etc. and the same about immersion.  What exactly is the difference? What does immersion packages provide that precipitfx doesn't? Also is it mostly for ppl that like watching the plane from the outside mostly? (Or do videos, replays, etc) 

Lastly, as of now (oct 2017), and with p3d v4/v4.1... does precipitfx *really* provide things p3d doesn't ? (Or at least improve on like the crappy rain fsx has for example, or is p3d rain now better?)

the immersion ones have effects that are specifically designed to a particular model of airplane. stuff like volumetric lights, and vortexes for the wing flap configurations that are more accurate to each plane. so like the q400 contrails have kind of a spiral that matches the props, stuff like that. the effects appear in the proper places on the models and atmospheric conditions kind of dictate what happens too on a much more detailed level than just the default effects. preciptifx makes the default ones look better but it is just a general purpose package. it is updating like the generic contrails you see on AI planes in the distance etc.

it hard to answer your other question exactly, you're correct that a lot of what makes it cool is more noticeable from the external views, and some of the wing effects you would never really see unless you peek outside.. if that seems cool or useful to you i suppose depends how much you like the external view eye candy for sure. i love it i think it looks great and sometimes do autolands in bad weather specifically so i can gawk at the landing heh.

haven't moved to p3d yet so i can't comment about your last question

cheers!,-andy crosby

I don't have any immersion packages, but in publicity shots I've seen condensation effects over the wings and engine intake plus rain running out of the intake cowling. You don't get that with just precipitfx.

Ian S

38.jpg