Horrible Experience with New 4K Monitor @30hz

This thread might help you out:

In a nutshell, here's what hits the GPU

- Shadows
- Dynamic Reflections
- SSAA
- Dynamic Lighting
- 3D Water (water set to ultra)
- New 3D rain/snow effects (set weather to storm theme to test)

I run a 6600k and 1060 and have decent performance even wtih 4x SSAA.  At some of the bigger/less optimized airports I have to drop it to 8x MSAA though.  I run my monitor at 25 hz and it usually holds that.  I do sacrifice a lot in other areas though (ie low cloud draw distance, water dropped, no dynamic lighting or reflections, middle of the road autogen, etc).

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

44 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I'm running a 4k monitor on a 3770k with a 3gb VRAM GTX 780 just fine. I do have to run the graphics sliders at medium settings. Your hardware is fine, something is messed up with your configuration.

I suggest to start:

1) Disable Nvidia Inspector.

2) Then delete your P3D.cfg and your sliders folder, start p3d, let them rebuild, and then run P3D with the default settings. If it runs fine, bump your settings up slowly one by one.

3) If that hasn't cured it, reinstall your Nvidia drivers doing a clean install then repeat step 2.

Almost make sure your monitor has the correct settings and you are connected to the correct input port, this is especially important if your monitor is a TV.

A lot of people have made good suggestions, however you have not provided enough information on your system configuration and addons. Your problem could be either of those.

If you are using Windows 10....well then it could also be a bad forced update from Microsoft.

What I have suggested is just basics to try and clean up your setup. If they don't work you will need to provide more information and dig deeper. The reason you are getting 5 fps is not due to your video card unless it is faulty or has a bad driver or physical install.

Ted

Here is what I will try tonight:

• Nvidia Inspector Disabled
  • Nvidia Control - "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  • Texture_EXP set to 9, NOT 10 (See if this is still visually appealing at 4k)
  • Untick "Use High Resolution Terrain Textures" in P3d World Settings
  • Vsync On - Tripple Buffer On - Unlimited Frames
  • 4xMSAA
  • FXAA OFF
  • Anisotropic 8x Filtering
  • Resolution 2048-2048
  • Water Detail Medium

From there, I'll adjust scenery settings. I would like to keep Dynamic Lighting, however, I've always kept dynamic reflections off

Texture EXP set to 10 uses 9-10GB VRAM on my system (1080Ti SLI), so it's another likely culprit. Setting it to 9 will probably solve your issue and cut your load times in half without noticeably affecting visuals. As far as I remember, ticking the "High Resolution Terrain Textures" box will set this to 9 for you.

You will also see better performance at 2xMSAA. Any more than that just isn't necessary on a 28" monitor. 

55 minutes ago, bberish said:
  • Texture_EXP set to 9, NOT 10 (See if this is still visually appealing at 4k)
  • Untick "Use High Resolution Terrain Textures" in P3d World Settings

LOL When you TICK the High Res option you will be using EXP at 9. If I were you I'd either remove that option completely from the cfg or simply tick the option. Adding it manually to the cfg and then unticking it in P3D makes no sense.

BTW EXP 10 isn't worth it at all imho: huge increase in loading times and you can hardly see the difference. In fact, if I were you I'd untick that option and use the default setting for a while: if there is a difference, you will hardly notice it anyway. The same goes for other settings btw: a lot of people seem to feel the need to pull as much sliders right as possible just because they can while using more moderate settings hardly makes the overal experience less worth it.

Anyway, one more tip: why would you want to set Anisotropic to 8x...?! That setting should be set at the max of 16 on EVERY computer because even 10 year old hardware can use it without any problems. I am surprised this is even an option. Don't expect setting it to 8 to make any difference: it won't. While a low setting actually DOES have a clear influence on what you see, unlike that EXP setting. So don't even try it. :happy:

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

LOL When you TICK the High Res option you will be using EXP at 9. If I were you I'd either remove that option completely from the cfg or simply tick the option. Adding it manually to the cfg and then unticking it in P3D makes no sense.

Negative Sir! At least on my system with High Res ticked and no exp i have a lot of problems with the autogen distance, loading almost below my plane, with exp 9 the problem is gonne, but i get a longer loading time.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I have a 32 inch 4K monitor powered by a Nvidia 1070. If  I run monitor at 30 hz flight sim and mouse on screen are not smooth, but running monitor at 60 hz resolves the situation.

Is you monitor capable of 60 hz ?

Regards Brian

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

Negative Sir! At least on my system with High Res ticked and no exp i have a lot of problems with the autogen distance, loading almost below my plane, with exp 9 the problem is gonne, but i get a longer loading time.

Ok, well, then this is clearly one of those YMMV things. :happy:

1 hour ago, SpaceMonkey said:

I have a 32 inch 4K monitor powered by a Nvidia 1070. If  I run monitor at 30 hz flight sim and mouse on screen are not smooth, but running monitor at 60 hz resolves the situation.

Is you monitor capable of 60 hz ?

Regards Brian

The option isn't on Nvidia Control Center to go to 60hz at the 4k resolutions, only the lower 1080p resolutions. I think I am currently running 1920x1080, at 59hz. 60hz give me stutters. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, bberish said:

I just bought a brand new 4K Samsung 28' monitor today in hopes of getting some buttery smooth frames at a higher resolution... 

My PC Specs, i7 6700 4.0, and Nvidia 1080, 32gigs DDR4 memory, liquid cooling etc. the good stuff :)

I had some problems with micro stutters, and I heard that a 4k 30hz refresh rate monitor would make P3D Beautiful and smooth.

Unfortunately, total opposite case for me... I load up the default F-22, at add on scenery KSEA... I have Vsync, and Triple buffering on.

Smooth for a few seconds 30fps,

then I switch views to spot plane and my frames hit 5fps OR LOWER, and they stay that way... 

So i turn off Vsync a triple buffer, same thing, 5fps or lower in any view, almost as if the sim is freezing momentarily. 

After trying a lot of different things, I'm basically using the same resolution as my old monitor, but on my new 4K capable monitor, which is depressing... I'd love to be able to take full advantage of high resolution. 

Any suggestions, or thoughts on why this might be happening? My system is totally capable, but I'm not sure why i'm having this issue?

Any system or P3D settings you need, just ask.

I feel like this can't be a P3D issue, but a system issue... Is my GPU overloading? I've used task manager to monitor CPU while experiencing 5fps or lower, and CPU usage is very low... surprisingly low actually.

Thanks for your help!

Bberrish

There are a number of settings in common addons that greatly affect performance, besides the settings in P3dV4 itself.  Here's a link to a very good video setting up P3d, AS16, Envtex, ASCA, ORBX and more.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epD8EHwBT5kI  You may also wish to review Rob Ainscough's excellent written P3D setup guide found in AVSIM through this link. https://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-avsim-prepar3d-guide/

My suggestion is to delete your config and shaders, rebuild them, and then follow the suggestions in the video first (18minutes) and then review Rob's instructions if that doesn't work.

Good luck.

Jay

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

15 hours ago, bberish said:

Smooth for a few seconds 30fps,

then I switch views to spot plane and my frames hit 5fps OR LOWER, and they stay that way... 

Typically switching from VC to external view will increase your FPS, not reduce it so I'd look elsewhere for your FPS reduction issue.

As a start I'd recommend you backup your Prepar3d.cfg, delete it (a new one will get created on P3D start) and then delete your shaders folder.  If you have any nVidia profiles (via NCP, delete them for Prepar3d.exe).  Be sure to do all this while P3D is NOT running (sorry that I have to mention that, but I found many end users do this type of diagnostics while P3D is still running).

It would be helpful to also provide the detail specifications on your monitor (brand and model number) if it's this monitor: 

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/samsung-uhd-28-monitor-with-high-glossy-black-finish-lu28e590ds-za/

Then you'll want to disable FreeSync.

Make sure Windows scaling is at 100%  (that will make icons/text very small but you don't want to run P3D with any scaling, stay at 1:1).

Per documentation for that monitor: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201510/20151030173012594/BN46-00481B-Eng.pdf

"An HDMI cable that supports 3840 x 2160 at 30 Hz will work when connect with HDMI 1. An HDMI cable that supports 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz will work when connect with HDMI 2."

So if you're operating at 30Hz make sure your HDMI cable is plugged into HDMI 1 port on the TV/monitor.

Cheers, Rob.

13 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I missed that. A 28’ (foot) monitor might work if you have all slides to the left and no AI traffic. Not sure about SLI in P3Dv4.1 but try a minimum of 6 1080’s in SLI.

😂

Actually the physical size of the monitor would have absolutely no impact in that....

Hey Rob. Mind looking at my 4K settings and give me a recommendation. I feel like I’m missing something in my settings and not getting the full benefit of 30hz. I know you use a Sony also so maybe you might see a seeing I missed for smooth performance.

thanks

dan

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

17 hours ago, bberish said:

I went down to 4xMSAA. I also reset my Nvidia Inspector and NVC to defaults, but immediately changed to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

I run Texture exp at 10. Does 9 make much of a visual difference at a 4k resolution on a 28foot monitor?

Frankly if moving back to EXP=9 doesn't fix most of your problems I will be very surprised.

To press the point I made earlier I just ran a test 3 times with both exp9 and 10 .

On runway 16L at YSSY 1400 hrs in the NGX 737 800 The important thing regardless of my spec is the only thing I changed was EXP 10 back to 9 and I did that test back and forth 3 times.My settings are all maxxed or as close as can be.

Started up in the Virtual cockpit stuck my head out and spun around the same way each time:

The result

VRAM average EXP10 = 8534MBs

VRAM average EXP 9  = 4579MBs

Try it for yourselves easy enough to monitor in the Afterburner graphs (and log if need be).

On the mechanical side of things last year I had a dud display port cable, it does happen, mine was causing  screen freezes don't know why but a new cable fixed it. A long bow for sure but I wonder how many guys do try a different cable. Display Port needs a lot of grunt.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server