Sign in to follow this  
dmarques69

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 gives me out of memory

I was having the slow loading textures/autogen issue in V4 and i thought i would give a try on this tweak, what i noticed was a huge difference, the autogen goes beyond what i can see... magic, however the loading time increases a lot and 50% of the time i get an out of memory in that loading, im talking about a out of memory from windows 10, but i still have at least 5 gb of free ram in 16gb total so i guess this is windows related. TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 reduces loading time, the autogen is still far, but with a good zoom i can see it popping, no out memory with this value.

Any thoughts on this? anyone having this also?

My specs below.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Is it possible that you're running out of VRAM? I know you have a 1080 Ti wil, 11 GB but I've seen them have their VRAM usage pinned at 100% with that tweak. The new Windows 10 update brought GPU monitoring into task manager so if you have the update, have it open while you are experiencing the OOM and see what the available VRAM is sitting at. HardwareMonitor and MSI Afterburner are good alternatives if you don't have the update.

21 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Is it possible that you're running out of VRAM? I know you have a 1080 Ti wil, 11 GB but I've seen them have their VRAM usage pinned at 100% with that tweak. The new Windows 10 update brought GPU monitoring into task manager so if you have the update, have it open while you are experiencing the OOM and see what the available VRAM is sitting at. HardwareMonitor and MSI Afterburner are good alternatives if you don't have the update.

Thank you Milton, i dont belive is a vram issue, but i have Afterburner installed, going to check that later on!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

As it happens I did a test last evening with this value and max out my settings , VRAM on the 1080ti went to 7.3gb.

Also default weather and max AI

PC similar to yours. 

5 minutes ago, onebob said:

As it happens I did a test last evening with this value and max out my settings , VRAM on the 1080ti went to 7.3gb.

Also default weather and max AI

PC similar to yours. 

Thank you onebob, i also have pretty much everything max out, i believe is something windows related, and it's RAM that is complaining not VRAM. Nevertheless doenst happen always, it depends on the place im loading, for example EGLC in middle of London is error for sure.

Marques

I have it running with exp=10 and no problems. 

Windows 10, 1080ti and 32 gb RAM. 

1 minute ago, swiesma said:

I have it running with exp=10 and no problems. 

Windows 10, 1080ti and 32 gb RAM. 

swiesma thank you, but you have double the ram i have ;) if you can do me a favour, load EGLC and tell me what ram its being used i appreciated!!

Marques

Strange you should get an OOM in 64 bit. Have you disabled the windows swapfile or made it really small?

Do you have other programs or addons running which are 32 bit?   Because as you are by now aware each 32 bit program will be run independently and be able to access it's own 4GB address space. If you had P3D running Those could potentially try to allocate more memory than you have remaining.

Also another potential problem is that with some ways of programming ( even in 64 bit) a program could try to allocate a contiguous block of memory -  that means it needs an uninterrupted block of memory that isn't scattered all over. (memory fragmentation) If it can't get the requested block of memory, it will trigger an OOM. Maybe with such a large texture settings it could trigger an OOM?

It would help if you can use the snipping tool and post the exact error that pops up.  Also maybe pull up event viewer and find the error on there and give details from that.

Thank you Richard and Slayer.

Problem found, i had no pagefile in my system, vram max was 7800 mb around london. But i guess im going to use 9 instead of 10, the load is just to long in 10.

No i have another problem, freezes/stutters with a stable 30 fps that i have to solve ahhhhh not easy this simmer live.

Marques

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

Found this rather interesting link with some screenshots to compare the different TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP settings...

https://fsnexus.com/p3d-v4-texture_size_exp-tweak-comparison-screenshots/

Interesting indeed. Hardly seems to be worth doing if it results in such extended load times and memory requirements.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

11 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Interesting indeed. Hardly seems to be worth doing if it results in such extended load times and memory requirements.

I came to the same conclusion after watching those screenshots and reading the article.

Richard Åsberg

With only a 1070 I have not tried 10, but when flying high above 10,000 to 38000, the difference with 9 from default if truly amazing from what v3 looked like.

With PTA I truly don’t think I need a bigger LOD. Would like to see what 10 looks like from 30000 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Feeling very frustrated here, the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP didnt solve my loading autogen problem after all, so i made the one thing i love to do :p full reinstall, out of the box 4.1 no Orbx no nothing craping autogen loading times, autogen almost below my plane whatever settings i put on there, i pause the simulator and it takes a few good seconds to load everything around me. what da hell is this!? Dont know what to do now :(

Marques

Sometimes i ask my self why i dont find another hobby, this one gives me so much troubles... another turn and i think i solved all my issues with 2 simple things, changed the HT, it was off with P3d V3 and V4 and for some weird reason in 4.1 my system prefers HT on now, and i locked the frames to 30, another mistery to add to my list of "why as to be like that now!?" im playing in 4k@30hz and before i had the best results with my frames unlocked and vsync on!??

So my tests until now with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP at 9 and 10 no slow auto gen and no stutters and fluid like it has to be, the loading time is in average twice the time from 9 to 10, but i only installed FTX global so far, i dont have the strength to install OpenLC today, going to give a kiss to my son and im going to bed dreaming that im falling from a stair stuttering all the way down!!!

Marques