captain420

Anyone else get the chills and eargasm when starting up the 777 engines?

This has got to be one of my favorite parts during my flight preparation. Starting and hearing those monstrous GE-90 engines spool up sounds so beastly and amazing. Especially when you have a nice audio system hooked up to your PC. Wow. I can't explain how good it feels and the chills I get everytime I startup the engines on the 777. Only thing thats missing is the ambient airport sounds, which will make it come to life even more. I really wish there was a good ambient airport sound pack for AI planes and airport surrounding areas. I know there are a few out there but none of them come close to representing the sounds you would get as if you were actually outside at the airport. I want to here those low frequency rumbles when the planes go past you while taking off... the doppler effect, etc. I want to hear and feel that with the AI planes as well.

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I see the 777-300ER two to five times a week at Munich Airport. And boy does it sound good. 

In the sim I added the BBS soundpack to the PMDG 777 - worth it :-)

Stefan lucky you! I would love to hear those beasts up close and personal!

I am using TSS Soundpack, how do the BBS ones compare? Which one is better?

20 minutes ago, captain420 said:

This has got to be one of my favorite parts during my flight preparation. Starting and hearing those monstrous GE-90 engines spool up sounds so beastly and amazing. Especially when you have a nice audio system hooked up to your PC. Wow. I can't explain how good it feels and the chills I get everytime I startup the engines on the 777. Only thing thats missing is the ambient airport sounds, which will make it come to life even more. I really wish there was a good ambient airport sound pack for AI planes and airport surrounding areas. I know there are a few out there but none of them come close to representing the sounds you would get as if you were actually outside at the airport. I want to here those low frequency rumbles when the planes go past you while taking off... the doppler effect, etc. I want to hear and feel that with the AI planes as well.

I was thinking.. What if you could take your PC to an airport and sit right next tot the fence, and fly that boger, and listen to the sounds, and smell the jet-fuel.  (alright, I'm being goofy) 

But, I understand your feeling... feels great when you love this hobby this much that you can have an eargasm- unbeatable! 

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

I see the 777-300ER two to five times a week at Munich Airport. And boy does it sound good. 

I bet you see lots of heavies there now..  Didn't lufty move a load there in protest at Ryanair being allowed into Frankfurt Eddf on the cheap?!  I bet the scheduling programme manager af lufty dropped a left bollock when that happened.

I was in work the day Ryanair announced it,  laughed my head off thinking of how the German national carrier got played Like that 

Any further opinion on whether the addon sound sets are worth it in v4/with PMDG?

I've got the tss sounds In v4.   They are great 

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that the addon sounds are created to have impact rather than fidelity.  Kinda like the Hollywood version of the real thing.  The PMDG sounds are the real sounds recorded by an audio engineer and labored over for many hours to achieve realism. It's entirely up to ones preference, some like emphasized bass and others not so much.  My computer speaker set is the Klipsch THX certified 2.1 product and it is pretty cool the way the subwoofer can vibrate my chair.  The QOTSII sounds pretty knarly too!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, swiesma said:

Where did you get this? I only see one for the Airbus A320 on their official site.

Listening to the triple 7 is amazing, favourite plane by far haha. Now if only I could fly the real thing :laugh:

18 hours ago, captain420 said:

Only thing thats missing is the ambient airport sounds, which will make it come to life even more. I really wish there was a good ambient airport sound pack for AI planes and airport surrounding areas. I know there are a few out there but none of them come close to representing the sounds you would get as if you were actually outside at the airport.

I completely agree!  In XP11 we have an addon called XPRealistic Pro that adds fantastic airport ambience sounds - it transforms the feeling of being at the airport.   I would absolutely love something like this for FSX/P3D.   Orbx have done a little of this at their small airflields but we need something more dedicated that works at all airports (different ambience sounds for the size of the airport of course).

• Upvote 1

Eargasm. I think this has to be the best word ever.

My first ever 777 flight was on a -300ER, and I was sitting right next to the RH engine. I was expecting to hear the 'moo', which I was familiar with from planespotting and of course the PMDG 777, but I wasn't prepared for how intense it was. The entire section of the plane vibrated on startup- you could really feel it in your bones. Of course, I was in heaven, but the infrequent fliers seated next to me looked at each other nervously and asked "....is that normal?". 

My AI aircraft use TSS and other custom sounds . 

Planespotting next to runways is an incredible experience ( 7+2 ) ...

regards, Gerard

5 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Planespotting next to runways is an incredible experience ( 7+2 ) ...

regards, Gerard

Hi Gerard,

That's interesting - I always thought we were limited to just the disappointing and underwhelming generic AI sounds ??? God knows my AI sounds could really use a boost...

Regards,
Scott

17 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Gerard,

That's interesting - I always thought we were limited to just the disappointing and underwhelming generic AI sounds ??? God knows my AI sounds could really use a boost...

Regards,
Scott

I started with F1 aircraft sound Environment and then added even better sounds to the aircraft.

The moment a 777 starts to spool up my neighbours 2 doors further can hear it.

But that is not as loud as a 747 ...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Gerard could you do a detailed walk through of how I would do this for my AI aircrafts as well? I am using TSS GE-90 sound pack for my PMDG 777. How would I get this to work for the AI Planes? Do you apply this to all AI planes or just the 777 models only?

26 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Gerard could you do a detailed walk through of how I would do this for my AI aircrafts as well? I am using TSS GE-90 sound pack for my PMDG 777. How would I get this to work for the AI Planes? Do you apply this to all AI planes or just the 777 models only?

The best you can do is look inside an AI aircraft and see what wav files it uses.Way less than the aircraft you fly in.

You have to rename wav files from your TSS 777 to fit the AI version.

As I started with Aircraft Sound Environment I got a good idea which sounds were used for what. Btw the product is made by TSS for F1.

More help/info :  http://mavecreations.weebly.com/

I finetuned all MT aircraft with a external sound program ( louder , less loud , extra bass , less bass ).

Regards, Gerard

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

But that is not as loud as a 747 ...

A bit off topic.  But Funny you should say that, one of the sound restrictions at EGLL is the number of 747s with GEs that can land before 0600L hence why there's alot of holding before 0600. One of reasons anyways,  as well as the Richmond luvies 

On 26.10.2017 at 9:34 PM, tooting said:

I bet you see lots of heavies there now..  Didn't lufty move a load there in protest at Ryanair being allowed into Frankfurt Eddf on the cheap?!  I bet the scheduling programme manager af lufty dropped a left bollock when that happened.

I was in work the day Ryanair announced it,  laughed my head off thinking of how the German national carrier got played Like that 

Not yet. AFAIK Lufthansa is moving some A380s to Munich next year. Then we will see more heavy actions. At the moment there are a lot of Lufthansa A340-600 left. Oh I Love that Bird. Long, elegant, beautiful.  But they replace them at the moment with A350-900s. 

Also Munich lacks some 747 action. The only 747-400 is the daily flight to Bangkok. And from time to time we see the 747-8 freighter by Air Bridge Cargo. Yangtze River Express used to fly to Munich with a 747-400BCF but they stopped that.

Well. I have tons of pictures. Maybe a make a small album later and share it :-)

In regard to the 777 IRL: Standing outside in the apron area, when one those engines starts you can feel the vibration in your body. I was impressed that the PMDG sound set is accurate with what I've heard out there. I would say I'd make a video of one, but there are tons on YouTube. On a side note, as a simmer, it feels pretty good when you go into the cockpit and know what most of the buttons and switches do!

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Not yet. AFAIK Lufthansa is moving some A380s to Munich next year. Then we will see more heavy actions. At the moment there are a lot of Lufthansa A340-600 left. Oh I Love that Bird. Long, elegant, beautiful.  But they replace them at the moment with A350-900s. 

Also Munich lacks some 747 action. The only 747-400 is the daily flight to Bangkok. And from time to time we see the 747-8 freighter by Air Bridge Cargo. Yangtze River Express used to fly to Munich with a 747-400BCF but they stopped that.

Well. I have tons of pictures. Maybe a make a small album later and share it :-)

I used to be cabin crew on the 340-600 at virgin before going into OPs.  We used call it the Gucci jet when we first got  it.  Lovely aircraft. If you worked down the back on it you could see it swaying as its so long.  We used to use it on Joburgs and the take roll was huge due to Joburg being hot and high.  Just like the cabin crew operating on it

5 minutes ago, tooting said:

I used to be cabin crew on the 340-600 at virgin before going into OPs.  We used call it the Gucci jet when we first got  it.  Lovely aircraft. If you worked down the back on it you could see it swaying as its so long.  We used to use it on Joburgs and the take roll was huge due to Joburg being hot and high.  Just like the cabin crew operating on it

Nice, I see the South African flight from EDDM to Johannesburg daily, also a A340-600.

I love this aircraft and think it's pretty sad that they are retired in Munich.