Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

LDSP (Split) Visual Approach RWY 23 in the Airbus A320?

Hi all.

Was in Croatia this summer for my holidays. We were on an AUA A321 into Split landing Runway 23. I remember the approach being pretty steep.

I tried to recreate it in the FSL A320X and wow, it's a tough one. Basically the Croatian equivalent of the hardcore LOWI circling approach!

I flew it 4 or 5 times and even though I managed to land, I definitely would have been relieved of my stripes after each one! :biggrin: Has anyone tried it? Any tips?

It also got me thinking... Any challenging airliner visual approaches you fine people of AVSIM would recommend?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Samos!!!! No comparison. Get yourself the 29Palms scenery too.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Found this, think  BB did it will go look, in the mean time.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

26 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Samos!!!! No comparison. Get yourself the 29Palms scenery too.

I'll check out Samos, thanks! 

@Nyxx. Cheers Dave! That video is a huge help. He finishes the turn at 500. Makes it look really easy though! 

Neil Andrews.

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Found this, think  BB did it will go look, in the mean time.

You can only do that in the day.  and the aerosoft navadata use to have a problem (last summer) with one of the fixes RORKA

14ppkc-6.png

@tooting Navigraph doesn't have RORKA either. Had to enter it manually which I hadn't done before in the FSL. Which was nice! 

And don't take this the wrong way, aren't all visual approaches only conducted during the day? 

Neil Andrews.

I don't see anything about daytime only for the visual. The VOR app to 23 specifies it, but not the visual. Using the VOR and fixes for that visual to 23 are only to be used to enhance the situational awareness.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Hang around vatsim enough You'll see people doing visual approaches at night.  Davies has a video on YouTube going into innsbruck on the visual at night (when it's closed) 

And every day you see people flying into egll after jetban and into lsgg and eddf after curfew. 

Well annoying when you spend your working life trying to avoid the issues! 

14ppkc-6.png

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

I don't see anything about daytime only for the visual. The VOR app to 23 specifies it, but not the visual. Using the VOR and fixes for that visual to 23 are only to be used to enhance the situational awareness.

Maybe I'm wrong dave,  I remember flying there last summer on vatsim and the approach controller telling me I couldn't do it after dusk. Like I said only flown there a couple of times 

14ppkc-6.png

Just looked at the chat,

Did you do a SPL fix and a 4.6 mile range as that would give a nice visual on map to help the turn 

also a runway fix from runway 05, 050, giving you a line to runway 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

17 minutes ago, Ebs said:

@tooting Navigraph doesn't have RORKA either. Had to enter it manually which I hadn't done before in the FSL. Which was nice! 

I logged it with aerosoft,  got the standard fobbing off

14ppkc-6.png

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Just looked at the chat,

Did you do a SPL fix and a 4.6 mile range as that would give a nice visual on map to help the turn 

Cant remember Dave. I think I manually entered it in yes. I just remember having to get in their before dark and logging the ticket at aerosoft to no avail 

14ppkc-6.png

14 minutes ago, tooting said:

Maybe I'm wrong dave,  I remember flying there last summer on vatsim and the approach controller telling me I couldn't do it after dusk. Like I said only flown there a couple of times 

Could very well be some local procedures in place, that aren't mentioned on the charts. Visuals at night are VERY common, at least they are in NA.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I’ve not been there and I bought it lol

But being old I would have the 050 line draw out to help and the SPL 4.6 to hopefully give a good over view.

Might even draw a SPL 4.4 line to fly on!

2 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Could very well be some local procedures in place, that aren't mentioned on the charts. Visuals at night are VERY common, at least they are in NA.

And Greece 

14ppkc-6.png