Sign in to follow this  
aidanlegras

Setting FCU requests on the FS labs A320 P3D 4.1

Hi Gerald,

I've sent Ben and video link (OneDrive .wmv file) It is less than 100MB and runs for around 12 minutes. It will show you precisely what I'm doing to help with troubleshooting. 

To be clear, I am most interested in getting the Heading, Speed and altitude callouts not only accurately read back by MCE (which is good most of the time) but also entered correctly in the FCU (which is NOT happening) 

I've checked the items that you've asked about:

I've downloaded the latest that you sent me and swapped it for the other 160MB file of the precise same name. Although I cannot see where I can verify which version this file is.

I'm only running Windows defender AV software and I have it de selected for both P3D.exe and MCE.exe (although I don't believe your software needs this?)

I'm opening P3D as an administrator as you will see in a video if I can send it to you and I am still have significant trouble getting the FCU entries correctly selected. 

Again, I really appreciate your help. Aidan

6 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

Hi Gerald,

I've sent Ben and video link (OneDrive .wmv file) It is less than 100MB and runs for around 12 minutes. It will show you precisely what I'm doing to help with troubleshooting. 

To be clear, I am most interested in getting the Heading, Speed and altitude callouts not only accurately read back by MCE (which is good most of the time) but also entered correctly in the FCU (which is NOT happening) 

I've checked the items that you've asked about:

I've downloaded the latest that you sent me and swapped it for the other 160MB file of the precise same name. Although I cannot see where I can verify which version this file is.

I'm only running Windows defender AV software and I have it de selected for both P3D.exe and MCE.exe (although I don't believe your software needs this?)

I'm opening P3D as an administrator as you will see in a video if I can send it to you and I am still have significant trouble getting the FCU entries correctly selected. 

Again, I really appreciate your help. Aidan

Thanks for the very informative video.

The "mcFslA3X.dll" dll is actually not even a fifth of a Megabyte. It's about 160 Kilobytes. But I get it, no big deal here.

To check a file version, you right-click the file and select "Properties". Then go to "Details" tab to see the version number.

FSL A320 along with all PMDG aircraft are the type of aircraft you don't want to start MCE first with.

Start the sim, load aircraft, wait until it has fully initialized and only then start MCE.

I noticed when you started P3D as admin, Windows didn't prompt for elevation. This would assume you have disabled Windows UAC.

Be aware,unlike the Windows XP days where you could gain total control on your machine, these days, when disabling UAC, you could end-up with more restrictions all while getting the illusion "it is fully disabled". Especially when using the registry hack that people boast about on the internet.

Here is one suggestion.

Un-install MCE via Windows Control Panel.

Set the Windows UAC slider to default 2 notches up the slider and restart your machine.

Install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\... folder.

Go to \Prepar3D v4\ installation folder, right-click "Prepar3D.exe", select "Properties".

In "Properties" window, go to <Compatibility> tab and enable option "Run this Program as administrator".

Start P3D. Are you getting the Windows UAC prompt as expected?

Wait until aircraft has completed initialization, then start MCE. Again, are you getting the Windoiws UAC prompt to elevate as expected?

Only then, can you assume both P3D and MCE are running as admin. Windows security essentials is fine. No need to disable it

Should be able to detect FCU state.

Other things I can comment on the video. As you noticed, when airborne, there are lots of requests for confirmation. Even turning OFF AP or FD will require confirmation first. By default, keeping silent means "No, thanks, that was accidental speech recognition"

I suggest you install the very latest MCE package V2.7.4.0 uploaded today. 

Confirm all is OK under that scenario (both UAC prompts on "Prepar3D.exe and "mce.exe" and MCE installed to default path). By the way, "mce.exe" is compiled to always run as admin, even when the option in file properties isn't ticked.

Hi Gerald,

As always thanks for being so patient with me,as I am used to the Apple ecosystem (and I'm no guru there for that matter!) I appreciate you taking me back to Windows basics. I cannot fault your customer support, and I appreciate it.

Having said that, I've followed your instructions and:

1. Uninstalled MCE via the control panel.

2. I've set my UAC slider to two notches up (2nd from the top) then I restarted the PC.

3. I reinstalled the latest MCE from your website V 2.7.4.0. (to the default folder)

4. I removed the Windows Defender exclusions for both P3D and MCE

5. I opened P3D (receiving a UAC notification) and loaded the F22 at YMLT runway 32L then once this was set; 

6. I Changed the vehicle to FS Labs A320 and waited for the 1 minute initialisation indication at the top to clear.

6. I then opened MCE and waited for the FCU ready for use (in red at the top left of the screen) 

Out of about a dozen attempts to get "set runway heading one thirty three" or "set runway track one, three, three" for example (among other attempts) I kept on getting spurious headings that bare no semblance to a HDG/TRK of 133. On most occasions I am getting the correct readback from MCE or when I am aligned with the runway it's stating that it's already set. Except for once, when it did go to a track of 132 degrees (possibly by coincidence) 

Speed selections are also still being read-back correctly but not accurately set, in most cases it's setting speed of 100 knots (this is the lowest selectable speed on the Bus)

When asking for "Bird On" or "Bird off" I am having this correctly read back also but the action does not occur.

In short, I'm still having problems with the SPD, HDG/TRK and the BIRD on/off requests.

Any more suggestions? perhaps it's sit back and wait for thee SDK time?

8 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

Hi Gerald,

As always thanks for being so patient with me,as I am used to the Apple ecosystem (and I'm no guru there for that matter!) I appreciate you taking me back to Windows basics. I cannot fault your customer support, and I appreciate it.

Having said that, I've followed your instructions and:

1. Uninstalled MCE via the control panel.

2. I've set my UAC slider to two notches up (2nd from the top) then I restarted the PC.

3. I reinstalled the latest MCE from your website V 2.7.4.0. (to the default folder)

4. I removed the Windows Defender exclusions for both P3D and MCE

5. I opened P3D (receiving a UAC notification) and loaded the F22 at YMLT runway 32L then once this was set; 

6. I Changed the vehicle to FS Labs A320 and waited for the 1 minute initialisation indication at the top to clear.

6. I then opened MCE and waited for the FCU ready for use (in red at the top left of the screen) 

Out of about a dozen attempts to get "set runway heading one thirty three" or "set runway track one, three, three" for example (among other attempts) I kept on getting spurious headings that bare no semblance to a HDG/TRK of 133. On most occasions I am getting the correct readback from MCE or when I am aligned with the runway it's stating that it's already set. Except for once, when it did go to a track of 132 degrees (possibly by coincidence) 

Speed selections are also still being read-back correctly but not accurately set, in most cases it's setting speed of 100 knots (this is the lowest selectable speed on the Bus)

When asking for "Bird On" or "Bird off" I am having this correctly read back also but the action does not occur.

In short, I'm still having problems with the SPD, HDG/TRK and the BIRD on/off requests.

Any more suggestions? perhaps it's sit back and wait for thee SDK time?

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, the current implementation is Virtual Cockpit operation only.

I've seen you switching to 2D in your vid.

For speed detection, suggest the following.

Takeoff and remain in VC until you see "looking for SPD" followed by "Voice control for SPD available" or something like that.

To prevent a performance drop, the scan for SPD only starts above a specific altitude, and shouldn't take more than a minute or so.

At least make sure that is happening.

For Vspeeds callouts you can either set them in MCE UI, <Monitor> tab or tell your FO what they are.

You: Our V one speed is XXX

FO: confirm V one XXX?

You: Yes

Do the same for VR and V2.

What exact Windows version are you running?

Is it in English native language or a localized one?

Hi,

I can confirm that speed detection/manipulation is not happening in any flight situation; being it after

t/o, cruise, approach. Of course F/O is answering with the requested speed but doesn't do anything;

pushing/pulling the various FCU knobs works well; turning them only with altitude and heading.,

requesting the various ECAM pages works also well now.

Peter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

Hi Gerald,

I'm staying in VC now and I'm following your instructions and waiting till established in the climb out. I may or may not have had the FCU ready for speed selection notice (perhaps to quick to see) but in any case I cannot accurately select:

HDG/TRK, Speed (although it might work perhaps one in six times), and "Bird on" (sometimes this does work but not reliably)

I have Windows 10 on operating on a new 7700K@4.2GHz, GTX1070. I bought the PC here is Australia and it's speech recognition is using US English as per your installation instructions.

I'm running out of options here.

7 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

Hi Gerald,

I'm staying in VC now and I'm following your instructions and waiting till established in the climb out. I may or may not have had the FCU ready for speed selection notice (perhaps to quick to see) but in any case I cannot accurately select:

HDG/TRK, Speed (although it might work perhaps one in six times), and "Bird on" (sometimes this does work but not reliably)

I have Windows 10 on operating on a new 7700K@4.2GHz, GTX1070. I bought the PC here is Australia and it's speech recognition is using US English as per your installation instructions.

I'm running out of options here.

OK, thanks.

The problem with "birdie on" selection not happening is because he only presses the button when he deems it in HDG/VS mode. It's not the switch itself that he can  control reliably. He can only work out the HDG-VS v TRK-FPA status, provided he gets the HDG right.. Apparently he's detecting a HDG value that isn't the one in FCU.

Will do a departure from down under. You never know.

Meanwhile, would appreciate you do a quick test from a northern hemisphere airport, say EGLL or KJFK. See if it gets the correct HDG

This FSL bus is so complex that the HDG doesn't actually exist until IRSs have finished alignment.

Since Peter is also having the issue with SPD, maybe something needs a closer look there, especially with V215.

Hi Gerald,

Due to time constraints I have only tried KSFO this afternoon without success. Maybe continental Europe would be better but it seems unlikely at this stage. 

1 hour ago, aidanlegras said:

Hi Gerald,

Due to time constraints I have only tried KSFO this afternoon without success. Maybe continental Europe would be better but it seems unlikely at this stage. 

Have done a test from Adelaide Oz and have seen no difference. HDG was detected every time.

Could you list the various add-on dlls loading into P3D V4.1

If you can't, just list non-aircraft and  non-scenery related add-ons.

I can confirm SPD control is broken. It used to work, and there was a particular action that was important to fetch the speed which is for FO to pull the SPD knob before the scan is started. That action was removed. It needs to be restored.

Will have new dlls in a couple of days to sort out the SPD control.

The other thing that may play a part regarding HDG, is the fact I only installed the VC part of the aircraft.

What installation option did you choose? I will re-install with that.

Hi Gerald,

Glad you've identified part of the SPD problem yourself. I have FSUIPC for rudder pedals, joystick and CH thrust levers. 

I also have ORBX Australia, ORBX NZSI, ORBX NZQN and ORBX YMLT. That's it.

There is no other software of any note on my PC. 

8 hours ago, FS++ said:

The other thing that may play a part regarding HDG, is the fact I only installed the VC part of the aircraft.

What installation option did you choose? I will re-install with that.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as installation options, there was not much choice that I can remember given that I have Windows 10. 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:47 PM, aidanlegras said:

Hi Gerald,

Glad you've identified part of the SPD problem yourself. I have FSUIPC for rudder pedals, joystick and CH thrust levers. 

I also have ORBX Australia, ORBX NZSI, ORBX NZQN and ORBX YMLT. That's it.

There is no other software of any note on my PC. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as installation options, there was not much choice that I can remember given that I have Windows 10. 

I was referring to installing the FSL bus with VC only or, including all 2D panels,

This patch should get FCU SPD control working.

It assumes you're already on MCE V2.7.4.0

Manually replace 3 files

"mce.exe" in \Multi Crew Experience\ installation folder.

mcfslA3x.dll in \FSX or P3D V3\MCE dlls\ folder

mcfslA3x.dll in \Prepar3D v4\MCE dlls\ folder

When passing 1000 feet above ground, FO will briefly pull SPD knob in order to detect the value.

As soon as it's found, he'll push it.

For those who may find it inconvenient, you can set a different height above which FO will perform speed detection.

Go to \Prepar3d v4\MCE dlls\ folder and open "mcfslA3X.ini"

Add this option to the file, anywhare in [OPTIONS] section

LowestAltSpeedScan=whatever_height_above_ground_in_feet

Default is 1000, when the option is missing, mainly so that FO can assist you with SPD setting should you want to practice circuits with touch and goes

One thing is sure, he should be able to assist you with SPD on approach, where it's mostly needed.

Hi Gerald,

I've done all of the above (I'm now showing version 2.7.41) there's no change to my speed selectability in fact I'm getting the following notifications. 

In red I'm getting the correct transcript of my request displayed on the top left of the screen and the voice is telling things like:

"yep, consider it done" without any selection be made. It seems clear that MCE is therefore not in fact understanding my request or at least perhaps aware that it is not able to carry it out as it is not aurally read back to me. 

Even if that did work Gerald the heading functioning is still not working in any case. 

5 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

"yep, consider it done"

OK, will have to re-install the bus with the option that includes "installing all 2D panels" and get back to you.

It's all configured for VC use exclusively right now.

That said, I'm not using the 2D panels at this point because s you indicated earlier up there was a problem reading the 2D panels so I've been using VC ever since without success. 

Hi Gerald,

I had some luck a couple of days ago doing a longer flight with some abnormal hydraulics thrown in and for that flight I had the headings working correctly at one point but I have not been able to replicate that success. Nor have I had any luck getting the speed to work despite your update patch on this. 

I would be happy to tell you what I did that was different when I had some success but short of getting up to a higher altitude it's hard to see anything that I was doing that was any different. 

Something to say that may or may not be related. I've noticed that the FCU keeps getting "bumped" while on the ground presumably by the FO's hand leaving the vertical speed indicating plus one hundred feet. This has to be reset regularly prior to takeoff so now I just leave them off until I'm ready to go. Perhaps this has something to do with it.