Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Flight1 vs RXP GNS ?

The RXP installation tool is a breeze and very user friendly. Moreover, there is a user panel.cfg thread on the RXP forum that contains fine tuning for many popular aircraft. 

I am in the market to get both a GNS 530/430 set and the GTN 760/650. Trying to decide between the two vendors has stalled my purchase so I am glad to see this thread. I have a few question for those that are familiar with or have used both.

1. From what I have read so far it appears that the only advantage of the Flight 1 products is price and all the functional and performance advantage goes with the RXP units. Is this correct?

2. If a 3rd party addon aircraft has an option to install a Flight 1 version of one of the gauges in its virtual panel does that mean an RXP version will work also and vice versa?

3. At some point in time I understand that Garmin removed some 4000 small airports from the trainer nav database. If I am lucky enough to get a copy of an earlier database with all the small airports included can this be installed in either vendors products?

4. How long does it take to switch databases? Flying in rural areas one would like the old database installed whereas in urban areas the latest one would probably be preferred.

Any feedback on these questions is much appreciated,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

17 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I am in the market to get both a GNS 530/430 set and the GTN 760/650. Trying to decide between the two vendors has stalled my purchase so I am glad to see this thread. I have a few question for those that are familiar with or have used both.

1. From what I have read so far it appears that the only advantage of the Flight 1 products is price and all the functional and performance advantage goes with the RXP units. Is this correct?

2. If a 3rd party addon aircraft has an option to install a Flight 1 version of one of the gauges in its virtual panel does that mean an RXP version will work also and vice versa?

3. At some point in time I understand that Garmin removed some 4000 small airports from the trainer nav database. If I am lucky enough to get a copy of an earlier database with all the small airports included can this be installed in either vendors products?

4. How long does it take to switch databases? Flying in rural areas one would like the old database installed whereas in urban areas the latest one would probably be preferred.

Any feedback on these questions is much appreciated,

Ted

1.) This is highly subjective and since I don't own the Flight 1 G530/G430, it would be unfair and inappropriate for me to answer. However, as a RXP G530/G430 owner, I am very satisfied with the functionality, performance and support of the product;

2.) As previously mentioned, the RXP installation tools are very intuitive and user-friendly. Therefore, RXP installation for a 3rd party aircraft is very easy whether the aircraft indicates support or not. Case (s) in point for me are: Carenado T210M; Alabeo C207, C404; and the Milviz C310R. For the Alabeo C404, the RXP G430 legacy option for the FSX model never worked and Alabeo never responded to fix the problem. With the RXP V2, installation was a breeze. For the Milviz C310R with the REX Weather Radar and RXP Legacy G530/G430, I again experienced unsolvable installation problems. Again,  with the RXP V2 installation - No problems whatsoever. 

I'm not qualified nor knowledgeable enough to respond to #3 or #4. 

By the way, I am only a satisfied customer and not connected to RXP in any way. 

Les Parson

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

Therefore, RXP installation for a 3rd party aircraft is very easy whether the aircraft indicates support or not

Thanks for responding Les. I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel and not a 2d panel or as a pop-up gauge.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

49 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel

Yes.

To answer #3 & 4. The GTN allows your choice of Americas or Worldwide navdata. This you can do in sim on the fly.

41 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel and not a 2d panel or as a pop-up gauge.

Ted,

Provided that the virtual cockpit has the 3-D geometry in place to support an existing GNS unit (or units), it shouldn't be a problem to integrate the equivalent RXP GNS V2.

That's exactly what I've done with A2A and RealAir's products. It just requires some minor edits to the panel.cfg file which can be done manually or with the help of the RXP installation tool.

Nick

• Like 1

Nick M - A2A Simulations

4 minutes ago, bills511 said:

This you can do in sim on the fly.

Thanks Bill. That sounds very easy. :biggrin: I assume this is for both Flight1 and RXP.

Ted

5 minutes ago, Nick M said:

it shouldn't be a problem to integrate the equivalent RXP GNS V2. That's exactly what I've done with A2A and RealAir's products. It just requires some minor edits to the panel.cfg file which can be done manually or with the help of the RXP installation tool.

Thanks Nick, that's the answer I was hoping to hear. Sounds like all this is boiling down to "you get what you pay for" in deciding between the two vendors.

Ted

6 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Flight1 and RXP

I can't speak for Flight 1 don't have their product.

I just double checked concerning changing the databases. It just takes seconds to change. And as an example Americas database includes Orbx Swanson 2W3 Worldwide does not. The GTN comes with cycle 1611.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks Bill. That sounds very easy. :biggrin: I assume this is for both Flight1 and RXP.

Ted

With RXP you make it on the fly into the sim.
for Flight1 you have to use their external application (but i don't know if you can do it with sim running)

• Like 1

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

8 hours ago, nirgal76 said:

With RXP you make it on the fly into the sim.
for Flight1 you have to use their external application (but i don't know if you can do it with sim running)

Thank You. Glad to know they both have the capability to switch to any database.

Not to any, only between WorldWide and North-America :)

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

Does the North America have the 4000 small airfields that were removed sometime around the beginning of 2016?

There is a price break of 10% for previous purchasers.  You need to download a coupon (there's a button for that underneath the download button for the installer).  Note however that the offer ends tomorrow.

Scott

Hello,

well, that topic is complecated... I am looking for a GNS430 to work together with:

a) The Alabeo DA40

b) The A2A C172 Academic.

Reality XP should work with both, right? Flight1 is said to work with the A2A C172. Will it also work with the Alabeo DA40?

Thanks,

Frank