Sign in to follow this  
SimplPrimate

Hello and help please

Hi all, I am new to this site.

There was a time around 2004 when I was heavily into flight simulation and then due to real life things changed. Now I would like to get back into it. Unlike before, now there are many options available.

The flight simulator I was looking into and planning to get is Virtual Flight Simulator 3D, the elite package there is usually over $200 and is on sale right now for $127. It looks like it is the most complete package with the most aircraft and airports (etc) without having to pay extra for add-ons. Then again I see a lot of bad reviews mixed in with the good ones, and the website seems a bit shady to me so I am concerned with throwing out $127 and not knowing for sure I am not getting taken to the cleaners.

I know the most popular is MS Flight Simulator X on Steam, I used MSFS2004 back in the day. MSFSX is on sale on Steam but there are several packages available and then there are almost 300 add-ons, and if all were purchased adds up to almost $3,00. This seems a bit much.

Out of the flight simulators out there, what is my best option? I would like something that is as complete as possible and my spending limit is around $200 tops and I would like to spend much less than that. I would like something that has some training in it as much as possible and has the option for multiplayer and ATC.

I welcome any and all help and information/opinions.

Sam

Here are my computer specs:

HP Omen Gaming Laptop
Windows 10 - Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
HP - Pavilion 32" LED QHD Monitor in 2K
Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick
Razr Deathadder Elite
Razr Chroma Tournament Edition

Ok I strike my comment above pertaining to Virtual Pilot 3D, I found other posts on this site that show how they are a bunch of scammers that are taking other software, calling it their own and ripping people off. I think I will likely just go with FSX on Steam.....

I went ahead and purchased FSX on Steam and purchased the 2 main addon packs, spent $100. I am content. I need to get in and learn it again and then I will want to get back into an airline and being much more serious.

SimplPrimate,

From my point of view, and depending on your systemspecs you have three choices

a. FSW ...(64 bit)... still in development ... shows promise but a long way behind the other two I am going to mention

b. P3Dv4.1 ..(64bit)....A really great sim but requires a reasonably good computer with good graphics capability, and,

c. XPlane 11.... (64bit) ...Similar to above (P3Dv4) with similar computer/graphics requirement.

64 bit is the way of the future and most developers of aircraft, utilities and sceneries are going to be concentrating on 64bit platforms.

FSX, FSX-SE and even FS2004 are still viable but bear in mind future development from 3rd party devs are drawing to a close.

A truly wonderful range of choices but please remember 64bit has to be the preferred way to go.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, SimplPrimate said:

I think I will likely just go with FSX on Steam.....

Good choice

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here