Recommended Posts

Why do I need an internet connection to open the PTA UI?

This is not specified in the product page. It needs to be. If I decide that I do not want to pay a huge increase in internet costs I'm stuck without this important tool.

This is very disappointing and there has to be a better way to combat piracy. Maybe get out of the business of sim add-on development?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nowadays IN abo’s give unlimited acces. The price difference is because of the difference in dl/ul speed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Nowadays IN abo’s give unlimited acces. The price difference is because of the difference in dl/ul speed.

 

Yeah, but it does not answer my question. There's not reason to need internet access to run the PTA UI. I think it's ludicrous.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DJJose said:

Yeah, but it does not answer my question. There's not reason to need internet access to run the PTA UI. I think it's ludicrous.

Your complain was about the huge increase in IN costs , which there is not.

Many addons check online if there are updates, but most important , if you have a valid license...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Your complain was about the huge increase in ION costs , which there is not.

Many addons check online if there are updates, but most important , if you have a valid license...

 

Many addons check online? Actually almost all of them do not...

Sure, to validate on install, but not every single time!

Thanks for the heads-up OP, I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

You are right PePe, it is infernal to be always connected, yes accept ones for antipiracy verification but not any times.

The door of mine house is often closed... Why the computer not....?

Addons asking permanent connection MUST annoncing this feature on their market pages before we buy.

The danger now is with some least addons, as chaseplane who stopped your p3d if you are not connected or if the site is down!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

 

Many addons check online? Actually almost all of them do not...

Sure, to validate on install, but not every single time!

Thanks for the heads-up OP, I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

“Actually almost all of them do not ..”

You can’t be that naive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, every single peice of software you own or use will be sending tracking and analytics data. Indeed you’re naive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Your complain was about the huge increase in IN costs , which there is not.

Many addons check online if there are updates, but most important , if you have a valid license...

No. This thread is not about the high rising costs of the internet, but about needing an internet connection to open up the PTA UI.

I can see how ASP need an internet connection to download the live weather, but a shaders add-on?

This is a good example of how far devs have to go to protect their work and what customers are willing to put up with, in order to buy and use their favorite add-ons.

It should give us "cause to pause." We don't have to agree and we need to let devs know that this is wrong and affects the paying customer. No one else!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GSalden said:

“Actually almost all of them do not ..”

You can’t be that naive...

 

I welcome you to unplug your computer from the internet and see what (if anything) stops working when you sim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flightskyc said:

Lol, every single peice of software you own or use will be sending tracking and analytics data. Indeed you’re naive.

 

 

I will call your "naive" and raise you an ignorance. If that is your particular case, I would avise you to get more savvy with your computer, networking in general, and run packet captures once you've figured out how to lock your computer...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

I welcome you to unplug your computer from the internet and see what (if anything) stops working when you sim. 

The answer to that would be not a darn thing. (stops working)

Even Steam has an offline mode.

Actually let me take that back. Skymax nags me much too often about activation, and yes, I've been thinking about removing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personnaly I decided to pull out all sites that exiged permanent connections to web, except one... the weather because this impossible to have on computer all data of weather of years and every where on the world... It is a good reason.

But never for shadders as in pta... addon is very well but is a real turn on our privacy, I admit it for security only... it is not the case here. 

A reality is that real buyers have a lot of problems more now with paranoïa of developers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot blame a developer for trying to combat piracy.  Ask any dev and they will tell you the staggering numbers.

I have no issues about having to be connected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Skymax nags me much too often about activation, and yes, I've been thinking about removing it.

Idem for fsfx, now on each opening of p3 dv4, I receive a boring fsfx message   showing the others they propose. The only way, I found, is removing the immersions and the precipitFX. Imagine a opening where each addon make publicity fot other addons they have... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

I have no issues about having to be connected.

Have no issues too actualy because owned mine addons...

but there are limits to bore the buyers with paranoïa.

What seem that you don't understand, with not owning the working codes on your computer, is not far that you shall montly have a rent to have your addons working.

Visit adobe site, each month, peoples working with those products payed to keep access to their own productions... No far... the danger in sim.

As exemple on our sim... the site of aurasim was out this month and the addon don't work any more for a lot of simmers on q400. 

Definitively, I want only owning products with the working proccess on mine computer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No developer can force a customer to have an internet connection in order to open up the UI that the customer purchased.

I'm waiting to see how Matt responds to my question. What is he gonna do? I think this is borderline illegal.

Devs worry about piracy. What about the paying customer. This add-on can not be used without an internet connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DJJose said:

No developer can force a customer to have an internet connection in order to open up the UI that the customer purchased.

I'm waiting to see how Matt responds to my question. What is he gonna do? I think this is borderline illegal.

Devs worry about piracy. What about the paying customer. This add-on can not be used without an internet connection.

I don't follow your train of thought, as a user of the internet we agree to TOS. EULA etc. it is spelled out in plain sight from your bank to poor Matt here and every service provider in between.  I would have a hard time agreeing with you that this type of activity is illegal.  Can't be borderline, either it is or it isn't.  You have every right not to agree with the TOS or EULA and you would not receive a license to use a product if you didn't.

Remember, you don't own the product, Matt does.  He decides how he wants to structure the license.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

You cannot blame a developer for trying to combat piracy.

Nope you can't. But you can vote with your wallet about how far you will allow developers fight against piracy to infringe on your own rights and beliefs.

It's a balanced deal. You can't tell developers how to defend their product, and they can't make you buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

I don't follow your train of thought, as a user of the internet we agree to TOS. EULA etc. it is spelled out in plain sight from your bank to poor Matt here and every service provider in between.  I would have a hard time agreeing with you that this type of activity is illegal.  Can't be borderline, either it is or it isn't.  You have every right not to agree with the TOS or EULA and you would not receive a license to use a product if you didn't.

Remember, you don't own the product, Matt does.  He decides how he wants to structure the license.  

 

You don't have to follow my train of thought. You are not the seller nor the developer of PTA.

It's really simple.

PTA can not be opened and used without an internet connection. It's not specified on the product page and to me this is important. I've been adamant in recommending PTA to every simmer. I think it's a must have add-on, until Matt removes this need to be on line to use the UI, it's buyer beware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how often are you running the PTA ui for it to even be a bother if you are connected to the net?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

You cannot blame a developer for trying to combat piracy.  Ask any dev and they will tell you the staggering numbers.

I have no issues about having to be connected.

Devs have implemented measures to fight piracy for decades, this is nothing new. Requiring a mandatory constant connection borders the ridiculous, and especially because as it has been pointed out numerous times, this only affects the paying customer, pirates get around it anyway one way or the other...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't a clue how pirates get around security measures, whatever dev's do to combat theft is up to them.  It is a way for them to try to keep some money in their pockets.  I really don't get this fight against the dev's.  Is it that the OP feels like it is an infringement on his privacy or there is a cost for connection?  Please enlighten me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whats  the issue  if  you  posting  in here  your on  the internet, maybe  users would  change their  minds  if  their  work  gets  stolen   and  pirated .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PepeBiondi said:

pirates get around it anyway one way or the other...

No they don't, that's why it's a good way to protect one's work.  

Why people complain about this is beyond me, especially when those same people are using the "internet" to complain about it ... that alone invalidates anyone's objection to the anti-theft methods developers use.

Anyway, vote with your wallet, developers are well aware they'll lose a very small percentage of customers because of their anti-theft policy, but it's the revenue they aren't loosing to theft that far outweighs the negatives as an internet connection requirement doesn't bother the 98%.

What borders on the ridiculous are the complaints about it, and the very fact you can do a simple google search for "XYZ crack" and you'll find 1000's of sites pretending to have cracked software ... what else do you expect developers to do to protect their content?  I don't see anyone here going to those hacking sites and saying, stop doing this because your impacting honest customers???  Do you?  I monitor these sites all the time, and yes I'll often see people using the same userID and IP they use at other web sites ... but I don't see anyone complaining to the hackers?  Obfuscation and impersonation is all I see.

But again, if you don't like it, don't buy it, choice is yours.

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.