Why do I need an internet connection to open the PTA UI?

This is not specified in the product page. It needs to be. If I decide that I do not want to pay a huge increase in internet costs I'm stuck without this important tool.

This is very disappointing and there has to be a better way to combat piracy. Maybe get out of the business of sim add-on development?

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Nowadays IN abo’s give unlimited acces. The price difference is because of the difference in dl/ul speed.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Nowadays IN abo’s give unlimited acces. The price difference is because of the difference in dl/ul speed.

Yeah, but it does not answer my question. There's not reason to need internet access to run the PTA UI. I think it's ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

Yeah, but it does not answer my question. There's not reason to need internet access to run the PTA UI. I think it's ludicrous.

Your complain was about the huge increase in IN costs , which there is not.

Many addons check online if there are updates, but most important , if you have a valid license...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Your complain was about the huge increase in ION costs , which there is not.

Many addons check online if there are updates, but most important , if you have a valid license...

Many addons check online? Actually almost all of them do not...

Sure, to validate on install, but not every single time!

Thanks for the heads-up OP, I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

You are right PePe, it is infernal to be always connected, yes accept ones for antipiracy verification but not any times.

The door of mine house is often closed... Why the computer not....?

Addons asking permanent connection MUST annoncing this feature on their market pages before we buy.

The danger now is with some least addons, as chaseplane who stopped your p3d if you are not connected or if the site is down!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

Many addons check online? Actually almost all of them do not...

Sure, to validate on install, but not every single time!

Thanks for the heads-up OP, I did not know this and will definitely NOT be buying the product if that's the case...

“Actually almost all of them do not ..”

You can’t be that naive...

Lol, every single peice of software you own or use will be sending tracking and analytics data. Indeed you’re naive.

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Your complain was about the huge increase in IN costs , which there is not.

No. This thread is not about the high rising costs of the internet, but about needing an internet connection to open up the PTA UI.

I can see how ASP need an internet connection to download the live weather, but a shaders add-on?

This is a good example of how far devs have to go to protect their work and what customers are willing to put up with, in order to buy and use their favorite add-ons.

It should give us "cause to pause." We don't have to agree and we need to let devs know that this is wrong and affects the paying customer. No one else!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

“Actually almost all of them do not ..”

You can’t be that naive...

I welcome you to unplug your computer from the internet and see what (if anything) stops working when you sim. 

1 hour ago, flightskyc said:

Lol, every single peice of software you own or use will be sending tracking and analytics data. Indeed you’re naive.

I will call your "naive" and raise you an ignorance. If that is your particular case, I would avise you to get more savvy with your computer, networking in general, and run packet captures once you've figured out how to lock your computer...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, PepeBiondi said:

I welcome you to unplug your computer from the internet and see what (if anything) stops working when you sim. 

The answer to that would be not a darn thing. (stops working)

Even Steam has an offline mode.

Actually let me take that back. Skymax nags me much too often about activation, and yes, I've been thinking about removing it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Personnaly I decided to pull out all sites that exiged permanent connections to web, except one... the weather because this impossible to have on computer all data of weather of years and every where on the world... It is a good reason.

But never for shadders as in pta... addon is very well but is a real turn on our privacy, I admit it for security only... it is not the case here. 

A reality is that real buyers have a lot of problems more now with paranoïa of developers. 

You cannot blame a developer for trying to combat piracy.  Ask any dev and they will tell you the staggering numbers.

I have no issues about having to be connected.

\Robert Hamlich/

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Skymax nags me much too often about activation, and yes, I've been thinking about removing it.

Idem for fsfx, now on each opening of p3 dv4, I receive a boring fsfx message   showing the others they propose. The only way, I found, is removing the immersions and the precipitFX. Imagine a opening where each addon make publicity fot other addons they have...