Sign in to follow this  
HighFlyer310

Considering VR

Hello all,

I'm strongly considering running over to BB this morning to purchase an Oculus Rift setup.  I've tried it on a buddies setup using Aerofly and was blown away with the immersion.

The lower resolution doesn't really bother me all that much (sense of actually sitting there and depth perception makes up for it imo).  I am running P3Dv4.1 currently with my new PC (specs in signature).  After doing some reading, the only thing that concerns me is being able to run in native VR with smooth FPS.  If I have to sacrifice a bunch of settings to get that, i'll probably hold off.  The best part of upgrading to P3D for me was the shadows/lighting improvements and if I have to turn all of that off in VR to get it running smoothly that would be a deal breaker.  Most of my flying consists of PMDG/FSL airliner flights from/to payware sceneries (FT/FSDT/etc.).  I've also listed my addons below as a reference - any input would be much appreciated!

ORBX FTX Global Base

ORBX FTX Global Vector

ORBX FTX Global OpenLC NA/Europe

FTX Global Trees HD

Active Sky 4 P3Dv4

ENVTEX

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Well, your system specs seem more than capable.....

As vr experiences in P3D go, yours should be towards the top of the scale.

That being said, you'll find are going to be compromises necessary to get and keep an acceptable framerate within the hmd without causing artifacts of various sorts that can undermine the experiance.

There's also an ongoing exploration/debate within the community over whether Flyinside is a must, or whether P3D native vr is now mature enough to be the go-to solution. Fortunately Flyinside has a free demo.

Best (or at least my) suggestion is set P3D to default settings, start from there and slowly experiment with turning up the things that are important to you until you find a working balance.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Please post reviews after you get it up and running., I tried out Oculus at the ORBX both at flightsimcon using Aerofly2. I was blown away too. The resolution for me is on the edge of what I'd want but I'm open to further thought is the price is right.

Dave

I got an i5 6600k @4.4GHz and an r390 graphics card and use this set up for p3d 4.1 with the rift. I personally would say that VR is a game changer for flightsimming because you got now a feel for the height your flying in and you are feeling like "almost" beeing in the cockpit. 

My recommendation is that for light aircrafts and having a high fps (>50) on your normal monitor the native vr support is good enough. But when you run advanced aircrafts (pmdg -style) and most of the times your fps are between 20 - 35 I would suggest flyinside. Because even when your p3d fps get close to 20 it is still useable with flyinside. 

But I also have to say that beside the better smoothness in flyinside I think the whole usability with native VR is better and  when it wouldnt be for the smoothness I would stick with native VR.

Thanks guys.  I went ahead and purchased.

I ran the Oculus setup and have it running in P3D.  Doing some test flying with the PMDG 747 I can tell its going to take some tweaking as the performance isn't all that great.  Can anyone recommend a good setup guide or some reading material?  Guessing ill have to go with this FI program.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

You have more than enough horsepower to run oculus with some pretty good settings intact. You are going to need to test settings to make it look as good as you want. 

A must for you will be the oculus tray tool which will allow you to manually push the oculus settings higher on an app by app basis. Therefore you should be able to push oculus into 1.5 - 2.0 super sampling which will improve the visuals. 

Aside from flying the other stuff on the oculus store will also keep you very well entertained

Thanks Ollie.  Quick question, does tray tool need to be running while in the sim?  Or is it a set it and forget it deal?

Tom Moretti

leave it running. Just set your ideal SS, minimize and start simulator. You have to restart the simulator (or any app) everytime you change the SS in the tray tool.

cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I wasn't blown away to purchase it but I ran my brothers oculus for a couple weeks. It just couldn't come close to crispy 4k display. But I'm looking forward to the future of VR