Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Pilot2ATC

ATC-Chatter available from Stick and Rudder Studios

Hi all,

I own and use Pilot2ATC and X-ATC-Chatter with Flight Simulator (2020) and really enjoy it with all my IFR flights. God job and expecting new versions :)

I would like to add more mp3 files in the chatter. I have a lot of those MP3 files and would like to add them for use.

Now the combination P2ATC/XATCChatter uses regions folder, with Controllers folders inside each regions.

I would like to add specific Countries and Aiports folders for some countries and some airports. Is it possible to do that in a way that Pilot2ATC understand and use ?

For example :

- ATC_Chatter

|__ Regions

|__ United States

|__ Europe

|__ Controllers

|__ (...)

|__ France

|__ Controllers

|__ (...)

|__ LFPG

|__ (...)

|__ Africa

|__ Asia

Is it possible ? or with some other structure ? which Sound Source option should I use in Pilot2ATC ? (Country Folder -> no Regions ??  Aiport Folders ? Controller Folders ?)

Thanks for your help

Chris

Chris,

The Country folder option is the only way to set up for specific countries and/or airports.  The folder structure for that is totally different from the folder structure of the Controllers option with the Regions, and are not compatible.

The only thing that might work is to set up a Countries folder structure for use when flying over France and other countries you have clips for and change the Root directory and Chatter mode from Controller to Country during the flight.  But that would require doing some setup work during the flight which might detract from the experience instead of enhancing it.

Dave

Thanks Dave for your reply 🙂

I think I will use the Country structure, and duplicate the Regions Controllers folder from ATC-X-Chatter in each country where I do not have enough country sound files. That way, all "generic" countries will use the Region sound files provides by X-ATC-Chatter. Will involve many files duplication but using Windows symbolic/junction links, will avoid real duplication.

Another question : do you have an advice on how to use oceanic chatter (Gander, Shanwick, ...) used when crossing Oceans ?

Sounds like a good approach.

There really is no good way to handle the trans oceanic one that I can think of.  If the program can't find a nearby airport, it uses the last country code found to determine what country it's in.  

Ok, thanks Dave. 

I will try my "Country/Regional" setup for my next flight between 2 or 3 countries.

For transoceanic ATC : I think it would be a nice feature to have for a future version of Pilot2ATC.

It involves adding a "zone" feature in the sim, allowing to define a geometric zone related to a chat folder. Other ATC softwares (for example, Pro-ATC-X) are doing that. Pilot2ATC is far more complete on several aspects, this feature would be nice to have.

nat_hla_icao_nat_doc_007_figure_1.jpg

And for version after, an implementation of NAT routes 🙂  (ok, maybe I am asking a bit too much)

Edited by Osirith

23 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Actually both of those are on the list of items for future enhancement.

Thanks,

Dave

👍👍👍

I bought the X-ATC-Chatter plugin and I love the added realism that it provides to Pilot2ATC! 

I also use the excellent LifeTraffic plugin, which allows me to view live traffic in X-Plane. It is awesome and Pilot2ATC does detect the traffic and gives me traffic alerts. With data from RealTraffic, it also allows me to see traffic from earlier in the day. I usually fly my sim at night when there is less traffic so it's great to be able to see traffic at busier times. 

Now the thing that would hit it out of the ballpark, would be to be able to hear LiveATC recordings synchronized with the data from RealTraffic/LiveTraffic! You would be able to hear ATC communicate with other traffic and see the corresponding traffic in the sim! It would be such wonderful practice building awareness of other aircrafts in the sky from listening to the radio. 
It seems that it would be technically feasible because LiveATC does provide archives for its audio. However, from reading other forums, it seems there are some legal issues and LiveATC refuses to give access to their live audio in an X-Plane plugin. My question is whether this limitation would extend to their archives as well?  @markcellis, do you think that would be doable? If so, could that be integrated with Pilot2ATC and LiveTraffic/RealTraffic? 

• Upvote 1

I think it would be virtually impossible to do it from the recordings.

Mark

I want to avoid making copies of the large number of mp3s between C:\X-Plane 11\ and C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\ . 

In the sounds tab I can't get the chatter to work if I change the Root Folder to anything other than default location.  Every time I fly a different region I manually copy App, Clr, Ctr, Dep, etc to C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\Sounds\ATC_Chatter\Controllers

Can P2A be made to work using shortcut or symlink point to C:\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions\X?  Better yet Pilot2ATC is now aware of the location of X-Plane installation for AI Traffic. Can it auto pick the files from XP folder?

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

Why not just have the chatter files, including all the regions, in the Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\Sounds\ATC_Chatter folder.  That's the way they are meant to work.  They do not need to also be in X-Plane.

Just copy the Regions folder directly from X-ATC-Chatter and place it in the P2A ATC_Chatter folder and it should work.

Dave

I copied all the files as suggested above.  It didn't work initially but after a very long silence of 6+ min, ATC chatter started to work again.

Thanks 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

I got this a couple of days ago and wow, it really adds another layer of immersion to the game!  I finally got round to adding some radio effects & extra voices to Pilot2ATC so the whole thing is really convincing now .  Thoroughly recommended!

Dave,

After a long absence from ATC-Chatter, I decided to give it another try. I didn't hear anything until I followed the suggestion of another user to turn off the Pause Between File Playback. Then if I turned off Play Chatter and then turned it on again, I suddenly had my voices. They mute when I am talking to P2A, but then come back on. I would really like the Pause because so much chatter is overwhelming. My root folder is blank which also helped get things working again. Any secrets to getting Pause working???

BTW, I have two batch files. One copies US Voices to the P2A/Sounds/ATC_Chatter/controllers folder and the other copies Europe voices. That works. I run the appropriate batch file before flying.

4 hours ago, Quijote said:

Dave,

After a long absence from ATC-Chatter, I decided to give it another try. I didn't hear anything until I followed the suggestion of another user to turn off the Pause Between File Playback. Then if I turned off Play Chatter and then turned it on again, I suddenly had my voices. They mute when I am talking to P2A, but then come back on. I would really like the Pause because so much chatter is overwhelming. My root folder is blank which also helped get things working again. Any secrets to getting Pause working???

BTW, I have two batch files. One copies US Voices to the P2A/Sounds/ATC_Chatter/controllers folder and the other copies Europe voices. That works. I run the appropriate batch file before flying.

Hello again,

I discovered that I could get the voices going with no pause and then hit the Pause Between File Playback - and that worked. I was able to set the voices 30seconds apart, which gave a more relaxed atmosphere. So I am content....