Tony P

Fixed P3Dv4.1 Shimmering even with MSAA in use

In my eyes,  this was a break through.  Myself,  like many others,  are forced to use MSAA with PMDG dynamic lights to get dramatically better performance.  This indeed does the trick but you will sacrifice the dreaded distant shimmers.  I'm using ORBX vector, base etc. with their night lighting and while it looks fantastic,  those distant shimmers just bummed me out.  So,  I went ahead and started experimenting with NVidia inspector and was able to cure my problem.  

So here we go,  my in SIM settings have FXAA off with MSAA set to 4 while using Dynamic lighting set to "on".

Inside inspector,  I have the following....

Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Thats it.  These settings helped me out without sacrificing frames and performance.  Try and Fly!

Tony

• Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

53 minutes ago, Tony P said:

In my eyes,  this was a break through.  Myself,  like many others,  are forced to use MSAA with PMDG dynamic lights to get dramatically better performance.  This indeed does the trick but you will sacrifice the dreaded distant shimmers.  I'm using ORBX vector, base etc. with their night lighting and while it looks fantastic,  those distant shimmers just bummed me out.  So,  I went ahead and started experimenting with NVidia inspector and was able to cure my problem.  

So here we go,  my in SIM settings have FXAA off with MSAA set to 4 while using Dynamic lighting set to "on".

Thats it.  These settings helped me out without sacrificing frames and performance.  Try and Fly!

Tony

Thank you, Tony. I will try this.

Question: Do you or anyone knows a way to reduce that strong white or metallic shine on airplanes?  I use PTA, and though it adds better colors, it also makes the a/c 'white' colors shine way too bright. Not sure if this is HDR related, or maybe there's an NI settings to reduce ? 

13 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Thank you, Tony. I will try this.

Question: Do you or anyone knows a way to reduce that strong white or metallic shine on airplanes?  I use PTA, and though it adds better colors, it also makes the a/c 'white' colors shine way too bright. Not sure if this is HDR related, or maybe there's an NI settings to reduce ? 

I assume you're referring to the Bloom setting, which can be moderated by either the HDR lighting settings within P3D or via PTA; NI has little to do with it in my experience.

Thank you for the info, sorry this is most likely a very basic/newbie question (I should know better), but is it a one time setting while you run NV Inspector (once I hit apply)? Do I need to run NVI all the time to benefit from these settings? 

Thank you!

John.

42 minutes ago, 757FO said:

Thank you for the info, sorry this is most likely a very basic/newbie question (I should know better), but is it a one time setting while you run NV Inspector (once I hit apply)? Do I need to run NVI all the time to benefit from these settings? 

Thank you!

John.

Once you hit apply it will remain. It will only change, (if) you make any changes and  click apply again. 

2 hours ago, Tony P said:

Tony

What video card & what drivers. Thanks.

SGSS destroys frames more than SSAA does.  It does a good job but in heavy clouds you will notice a large performance hit.

This never worked in P3D, since v2 was it? What changed now, because we are still on DX11?

In the end, it's SGSS that's doing the job, not 4xS (which isn't working).

8 hours ago, Tony P said:

Have you tried this with the Grey and Rainy weather theme?

gb.

3 minutes ago, gboz said:

Have you tried this with the Grey and Rainy weather theme?

gb.

Yes,   No issues.   Of course,  im using a 1080Ti with Unlimited Frames w/ Vsync and using 30Hz monitor refresh rate which also gives me a smooth ride.  

It’s only the SGSS that helps with the shimmering. It has always been like that. 

And it will cost you a lot of fps with many clouds , multiple cloud layers . Add rain and you will not be happy....

regards, Gerard

10 hours ago, SimonC said:

This never worked in P3D, since v2 was it? What changed now, because we are still on DX11?

In the end, it's SGSS that's doing the job, not 4xS (which isn't working).

We've got VR and that bridge in St Louis though 🤗

4 hours ago, Tony P said:

Yes,   No issues.   Of course,  im using a 1080Ti

Well.... that's always a nice ace to have up your sleeve.  :)

But as said above I think you will see the same results if you just leave:
Antialiasing - Mode =
Antialiasing - Setting =
both to Application Controlled.

gb.

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

It’s only the SGSS that helps with the shimmering. It has always been like that. 

And it will cost you a lot of fps with many clouds , multiple cloud layers . Add rain and you will not be happy....

regards, Gerard

Unfortunately, I can concur that this is the exact issue that I encounter when attempting to use 4 X SGSS to eliminate shimmering. 

This being the case, are there any other adjustments that can be made to reduce shimmering whilst at the same time, not taking a substantial FPS hit in heavy cloud - which is something that we have a lot of here in the UK ! 

Regards 

Gary 

I have flown for a while with these settings, and have been quite happy with it:

Antialiasing Mode - Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing Setting - Application controlled

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling - 4x Supersampling

These are though with P3Dv3. Some slight shimmering sometimes stlll but nothing so bad, and the the FPS are quite satisfying (most of the time)

Regards

Tapani

44 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

Unfortunately, I can concur that this is the exact issue that I encounter when attempting to use 4 X SGSS to eliminate shimmering. 

You might give x8 MSAA in P3D with x2 SGSSAA in NI a go.
This combination is supposed to be technically incorrect but for me it gives better visual results than P3D x4 SSAA in some cases, especially with stopping pulsating runway markings seen square on.

gb.

Thanks for this.

It seems to have improved and maybe solved my shimmering textures and aliasing without killing my frame rate. 

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Thanks for this.

It seems to have improved and maybe solved my shimmering textures and aliasing without killing my frame rate. 

Hi Richard,,

Ugh,,, which one of the suggestions have given the results you mentioned?

Thanks,,, Mike

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, Tony P said:

Tony

Okay,

In P3Dv4.1 using 8xMSAA, and your suggested settings, I tested a scenario with solid overcast, 16:30 local time, NOT nighttime, at KWYS in the PMDG NGX, sitting at Gate 1 engines off. My GTX 1070 was pegged at 95% - 100% utilization, only about 1.8GB VRAM usage.

I went back to Nvidia Inspector AA settings off, or application controlled as applicable for a given AA setting, loaded the exact same scenario, at the exact same time, and gpu was down to 33%...1.8GB VRAM usage - P3D 8xMSAA.

So I would say your settings are great, as long as there are few clouds around...because most of the flight that got me to KWYS was in little to no cloud cover, until about the last 40 miles, and an soon as I ran into the cloud build-up, my fps dropped into the teens, and gpu was pegged.

NO-GO for me, thanks anyway.

There should have been an initial caveat to this thread along the lines of "If you have a 1080ti gpu here is a fix for shimmering".  I would love to get rid of the very excessive shimmering in P3D compared with FSX but at 1400 Australian dollars for a 1080ti my 980ti bought just 14 months ago is going to have to do me for some time to come!

Bruceb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, orbmis said:

Hi Richard,,

Ugh,,, which one of the suggestions have given the results you mentioned?

Thanks,,, Mike

Here's what I'm using:

• FXAA - Off
  • 4xMSAA
  • Anisotropic 8x
  • 2560x1440 Resolution

As far as the advice in this post:

• Antialiasing mode - Enhance Application setting
  • Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

I tried and removed the:

• Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

This was giving me some strange lighting effects in the VC.

All this was tried on my maximum environment: Orbx NCa, Flightbeam KSFO using the FSL A320X Airbus with fog and cumulus clouds.

I haven't been tweaking much, as I'm really happy with things in P3D, but I saw this post and thought I'd try them. I was seeing some texture flashing when looking towards the terminal.

Although this is a buried thread, I wanted to update on something to do with the above settings.

I had been flying the Majestic D-8 exclusively since its release for P3Dv4. Really nice...

However, I returned to the FSL A320 and found my frames tanked as soon as I turned up the cockpit lights. The A320 employes their own lighting system; Spotlights, I think. Anyway, I was unable to 'fix' this until I remembered the NI settings.

TLDR; using the Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling setting crushed my frames when using this aircraft, or for you maybe, any aircraft using the Spotlights add-on. After returning NI to no settings changed, all is well.

8xMSAA, 16xAF, 4k TV on a 1080Ti does the trick for me. I use 1024DXT clouds in AS16 and 512DXT overcast. I can run 7 layers of clouds at minimum draw distance of 100nm and max draw at 135nm and lose zero performance or frames. Shimmering is minimal with 4k.

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

8xMSAA, 16xAF, 4k TV on a 1080Ti does the trick for me. I use 1024DXT clouds in AS16 and 512DXT overcast. I can run 7 layers of clouds at minimum draw distance of 100nm and max draw at 135nm and lose zero performance or frames. Shimmering is minimal with 4k.

Finally hardware is starting to win the battle.  :)

gb.

Will have to try some of these out when I get back to the UK in a few weeks. The night light shimmering just drives me up the wall!!