Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Fixed P3Dv4.1 Shimmering even with MSAA in use

In my eyes,  this was a break through.  Myself,  like many others,  are forced to use MSAA with PMDG dynamic lights to get dramatically better performance.  This indeed does the trick but you will sacrifice the dreaded distant shimmers.  I'm using ORBX vector, base etc. with their night lighting and while it looks fantastic,  those distant shimmers just bummed me out.  So,  I went ahead and started experimenting with NVidia inspector and was able to cure my problem.  

So here we go,  my in SIM settings have FXAA off with MSAA set to 4 while using Dynamic lighting set to "on".

Inside inspector,  I have the following....

Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Thats it.  These settings helped me out without sacrificing frames and performance.  Try and Fly!

Tony

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Tony P said:

In my eyes,  this was a break through.  Myself,  like many others,  are forced to use MSAA with PMDG dynamic lights to get dramatically better performance.  This indeed does the trick but you will sacrifice the dreaded distant shimmers.  I'm using ORBX vector, base etc. with their night lighting and while it looks fantastic,  those distant shimmers just bummed me out.  So,  I went ahead and started experimenting with NVidia inspector and was able to cure my problem.  

So here we go,  my in SIM settings have FXAA off with MSAA set to 4 while using Dynamic lighting set to "on".

Thats it.  These settings helped me out without sacrificing frames and performance.  Try and Fly!

Tony

Thank you, Tony. I will try this.

Question: Do you or anyone knows a way to reduce that strong white or metallic shine on airplanes?  I use PTA, and though it adds better colors, it also makes the a/c 'white' colors shine way too bright. Not sure if this is HDR related, or maybe there's an NI settings to reduce ? 

13 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Thank you, Tony. I will try this.

Question: Do you or anyone knows a way to reduce that strong white or metallic shine on airplanes?  I use PTA, and though it adds better colors, it also makes the a/c 'white' colors shine way too bright. Not sure if this is HDR related, or maybe there's an NI settings to reduce ? 

I assume you're referring to the Bloom setting, which can be moderated by either the HDR lighting settings within P3D or via PTA; NI has little to do with it in my experience.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Thank you for the info, sorry this is most likely a very basic/newbie question (I should know better), but is it a one time setting while you run NV Inspector (once I hit apply)? Do I need to run NVI all the time to benefit from these settings? 

Thank you!

John.

42 minutes ago, 757FO said:

Thank you for the info, sorry this is most likely a very basic/newbie question (I should know better), but is it a one time setting while you run NV Inspector (once I hit apply)? Do I need to run NVI all the time to benefit from these settings? 

Thank you!

John.

Once you hit apply it will remain. It will only change, (if) you make any changes and  click apply again. 

2 hours ago, Tony P said:

Tony

What video card & what drivers. Thanks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

SGSS destroys frames more than SSAA does.  It does a good job but in heavy clouds you will notice a large performance hit.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

This never worked in P3D, since v2 was it? What changed now, because we are still on DX11?

In the end, it's SGSS that's doing the job, not 4xS (which isn't working).

8 hours ago, Tony P said:

Have you tried this with the Grey and Rainy weather theme?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

3 minutes ago, gboz said:

Have you tried this with the Grey and Rainy weather theme?

gb.

Yes,   No issues.   Of course,  im using a 1080Ti with Unlimited Frames w/ Vsync and using 30Hz monitor refresh rate which also gives me a smooth ride.  

It’s only the SGSS that helps with the shimmering. It has always been like that. 

And it will cost you a lot of fps with many clouds , multiple cloud layers . Add rain and you will not be happy....

regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

10 hours ago, SimonC said:

This never worked in P3D, since v2 was it? What changed now, because we are still on DX11?

In the end, it's SGSS that's doing the job, not 4xS (which isn't working).

We've got VR and that bridge in St Louis though 🤗

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, Tony P said:

Yes,   No issues.   Of course,  im using a 1080Ti

Well.... that's always a nice ace to have up your sleeve.  :)

But as said above I think you will see the same results if you just leave:
Antialiasing - Mode =
Antialiasing - Setting =
both to Application Controlled.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

It’s only the SGSS that helps with the shimmering. It has always been like that. 

And it will cost you a lot of fps with many clouds , multiple cloud layers . Add rain and you will not be happy....

regards, Gerard

Unfortunately, I can concur that this is the exact issue that I encounter when attempting to use 4 X SGSS to eliminate shimmering. 

This being the case, are there any other adjustments that can be made to reduce shimmering whilst at the same time, not taking a substantial FPS hit in heavy cloud - which is something that we have a lot of here in the UK ! 

Regards 

Gary 

I have flown for a while with these settings, and have been quite happy with it:

Antialiasing Mode - Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing Setting - Application controlled

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling - 4x Supersampling

These are though with P3Dv3. Some slight shimmering sometimes stlll but nothing so bad, and the the FPS are quite satisfying (most of the time)

Regards

Tapani

Tapani Österberg