Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Fixed P3Dv4.1 Shimmering even with MSAA in use

44 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

Unfortunately, I can concur that this is the exact issue that I encounter when attempting to use 4 X SGSS to eliminate shimmering. 

You might give x8 MSAA in P3D with x2 SGSSAA in NI a go.
This combination is supposed to be technically incorrect but for me it gives better visual results than P3D x4 SSAA in some cases, especially with stopping pulsating runway markings seen square on.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks for this.

It seems to have improved and maybe solved my shimmering textures and aliasing without killing my frame rate. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Thanks for this.

It seems to have improved and maybe solved my shimmering textures and aliasing without killing my frame rate. 

Hi Richard,,

Ugh,,, which one of the suggestions have given the results you mentioned?

Thanks,,, Mike

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, Tony P said:

In my eyes,  this was a break through.  Myself,  like many others,  are forced to use MSAA with PMDG dynamic lights to get dramatically better performance.  This indeed does the trick but you will sacrifice the dreaded distant shimmers.  I'm using ORBX vector, base etc. with their night lighting and while it looks fantastic,  those distant shimmers just bummed me out.  So,  I went ahead and started experimenting with NVidia inspector and was able to cure my problem.  

So here we go,  my in SIM settings have FXAA off with MSAA set to 4 while using Dynamic lighting set to "on".

Inside inspector,  I have the following....

Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Thats it.  These settings helped me out without sacrificing frames and performance.  Try and Fly!

Tony

Okay,

In P3Dv4.1 using 8xMSAA, and your suggested settings, I tested a scenario with solid overcast, 16:30 local time, NOT nighttime, at KWYS in the PMDG NGX, sitting at Gate 1 engines off. My GTX 1070 was pegged at 95% - 100% utilization, only about 1.8GB VRAM usage.

I went back to Nvidia Inspector AA settings off, or application controlled as applicable for a given AA setting, loaded the exact same scenario, at the exact same time, and gpu was down to 33%...1.8GB VRAM usage - P3D 8xMSAA.

So I would say your settings are great, as long as there are few clouds around...because most of the flight that got me to KWYS was in little to no cloud cover, until about the last 40 miles, and an soon as I ran into the cloud build-up, my fps dropped into the teens, and gpu was pegged.

NO-GO for me, thanks anyway.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

There should have been an initial caveat to this thread along the lines of "If you have a 1080ti gpu here is a fix for shimmering".  I would love to get rid of the very excessive shimmering in P3D compared with FSX but at 1400 Australian dollars for a 1080ti my 980ti bought just 14 months ago is going to have to do me for some time to come!

Bruceb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6 hours ago, orbmis said:

Hi Richard,,

Ugh,,, which one of the suggestions have given the results you mentioned?

Thanks,,, Mike

Here's what I'm using:

• FXAA - Off
  • 4xMSAA
  • Anisotropic 8x
  • 2560x1440 Resolution

As far as the advice in this post:

• Antialiasing mode - Enhance Application setting
  • Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

I tried and removed the:

• Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

This was giving me some strange lighting effects in the VC.

All this was tried on my maximum environment: Orbx NCa, Flightbeam KSFO using the FSL A320X Airbus with fog and cumulus clouds.

I haven't been tweaking much, as I'm really happy with things in P3D, but I saw this post and thought I'd try them. I was seeing some texture flashing when looking towards the terminal.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Although this is a buried thread, I wanted to update on something to do with the above settings.

I had been flying the Majestic D-8 exclusively since its release for P3Dv4. Really nice...

However, I returned to the FSL A320 and found my frames tanked as soon as I turned up the cockpit lights. The A320 employes their own lighting system; Spotlights, I think. Anyway, I was unable to 'fix' this until I remembered the NI settings.

TLDR; using the Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling setting crushed my frames when using this aircraft, or for you maybe, any aircraft using the Spotlights add-on. After returning NI to no settings changed, all is well.

Richard Chafey

MSFS 2020, DCS

8xMSAA, 16xAF, 4k TV on a 1080Ti does the trick for me. I use 1024DXT clouds in AS16 and 512DXT overcast. I can run 7 layers of clouds at minimum draw distance of 100nm and max draw at 135nm and lose zero performance or frames. Shimmering is minimal with 4k.

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

8xMSAA, 16xAF, 4k TV on a 1080Ti does the trick for me. I use 1024DXT clouds in AS16 and 512DXT overcast. I can run 7 layers of clouds at minimum draw distance of 100nm and max draw at 135nm and lose zero performance or frames. Shimmering is minimal with 4k.

Finally hardware is starting to win the battle.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I find that a p3d 8xSSAA gives me impressive visuals with almost no shimmer, but at certain payware airports it causes fps problems with my gtx 970. I'm sticking with 4xSSAA for now since visuals & performance are very good.

As for nvidia Inspector, it doesn't work for me as it did in FSX. I have the same issue I had with XPlane with HFR enabled.

I'd be interested to know if upgrading my GTX 970 to a 1080 would help improve performance with 8xSSAA enabled assuming all my other P3D settings remain the same?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

51 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I find that a p3d 8xSSAA gives me impressive visuals with almost no shimmer, but at certain payware airports it causes fps problems with my gtx 970. I'm sticking with 4xSSAA for now since visuals & performance are very good.

As for nvidia Inspector, it doesn't work for me as it did in FSX. I have the same issue I had with XPlane with HFR enabled.

I'd be interested to know if upgrading my GTX 970 to a 1080 would help improve performance with 8xSSAA enabled assuming all my other P3D settings remain the same?

Good luck with 8xSSAA using something like the PMDG 737-800 which forces you to use DL if you want to see where you are going at night....most cards will crumble.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

8xSSAA at what resolution and refresh rate?  You might be able to make that work at 1080p and 30Hz, but even a pair of overclocked 1080Ti GPUs won't pull that off at 4K.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 10/30/2017 at 0:40 AM, RichieFly said:

Here's what I'm using:

• FXAA - Off
  • 4xMSAA
  • Anisotropic 8x
  • 2560x1440 Resolution

As far as the advice in this post:

• Antialiasing mode - Enhance Application setting
  • Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

I tried and removed the:

• Antialiasing - Setting = 4xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 2x MS (D3D only)]

This was giving me some strange lighting effects in the VC.

All this was tried on my maximum environment: Orbx NCa, Flightbeam KSFO using the FSL A320X Airbus with fog and cumulus clouds.

I haven't been tweaking much, as I'm really happy with things in P3D, but I saw this post and thought I'd try them. I was seeing some texture flashing when looking towards the terminal.

I think the conventional wisdom with these settings in DX9/10 is that the MSAA and the SGSS multipliers must match...so 4xS was never a good match for 4xSGSS, but rather 8xS (2x2 SS + 4x MS).

That said, I am not confident that the 4xS/8xS settings have any effect in DX11.  Could be that the 4xS in the OP's config is a placebo, with the real effect coming from the SGSS.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

8xSSAA at what resolution and refresh rate?  You might be able to make that work at 1080p and 30Hz, but even a pair of overclocked 1080Ti GPUs won't pull that off at 4K.

Regards

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention, 1080p and 30Hz. I don't have a 4k monitor. I'm waiting for volta.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.