Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Fixed P3Dv4.1 Shimmering even with MSAA in use

I can't make NVI AA settings work, I've tried several combinations already. I have a 4k screen powered by a 1080TI FTW3 overclocked and it's just not sufficient even on 4xMSAA (set inside P3D v4.2), it will easily hit 100% load especially with some cloud layers.

During the FSX times I remember to have to set a special flag or something for it to work, now I'm stuck with the same kind of problem within P3D. Is there something necessary to change?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I am running a 4K TV @ 4096x2160 and still had some annoying shimmering, especially the power tower pylon textures in Orbx PNW.

I was finally able to fix most of it by using 8XMSAA in Prepar3d and with  Inspector using Anti-alias mode  set to "enhanced"and Anti-alias - Transparent super-sampling set to "8X Supersampling". 

I also have Texture filtering - Quality set to "High Quality" and Power management mode set to "Prefer Maximum performance". 

This worked for me in both v3 and v4 of Prepar3d.

This cleared up about 98% of the shimming and no performance hit like SGSS.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, FlightSimDimm said:

I am running a 4K TV @ 4096x2160 and still had some annoying shimmering, especially the power tower pylon textures in Orbx PNW.

I was finally able to fix most of it by using 8XMSAA in Prepar3d and with  Inspector using Anti-alias mode  set to "enhanced"and Anti-alias - Transparent super-sampling set to "8X Supersampling". 

I also have Texture filtering - Quality set to "High Quality" and Power management mode set to "Prefer Maximum performance". 

What card are you using??

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Looks like it works in my case too - 1080 GTX also with latest drivers.

8xMSAA in P3Dv4.2 + Enhance + 8x transparency supersampling in NI = much less shimmering.

Thanks for advice!

• Like 1

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

On 4/3/2018 at 12:24 AM, FlightSimDimm said:

New P3Dv4 user here - I was having issues with scenery shimmer and jagged lines on the aircraft external model. The settings posted above cleared the external model jagged lines and cleared around 90% of shimmer. Considering AA seems to be an issue with P3Dv4 I'm very happy with the results.

I'm using 2 x supersampling so not be destroyed in cloud.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:18 AM, Artem Crum said:

Looks like it works in my case too - 1080 GTX also with latest drivers.

8xMSAA in P3Dv4.2 + Enhance + 8x transparency supersampling in NI = much less shimmering.

Thanks for advice!

Are you running this with dynamic lighting on? Have you tried these settings at night with dynamic lights visible? I'm skeptical this setting *actually* works without tanking your FPS. 

Takes about 10 FPS off of mine (GTX 1080), though it does seem to balance out SOME distant shimmering but leaves jagged textures on my aircraft fuselage.  I suppose it's a balance of half jagged edges, half shimmering.  DL on.

Edited by CaptKornDog

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

11 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Takes about 10 FPS off of mine (GTX 1080), though it does seem to balance out SOME distant shimmering but leaves jagged textures on my aircraft fuselage.  I suppose it's a balance of half jagged edges, half shimmering.  DL on.

10 FPS out of how much? 8x MSAA alone for me (1080TI FTW3) is hard enough depending on the aircraft and mainly on the clouds setup, so I end up using 4x MSAA. I think shimmering bothers me even more than aliasing.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

On 3/31/2018 at 10:54 PM, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I can't make NVI AA settings work, I've tried several combinations already. I have a 4k screen powered by a 1080TI FTW3 overclocked and it's just not sufficient even on 4xMSAA (set inside P3D v4.2), it will easily hit 100% load especially with some cloud layers.

During the FSX times I remember to have to set a special flag or something for it to work, now I'm stuck with the same kind of problem within P3D. Is there something necessary to change?

Thanks.

Thank you my friend!

Those settings completely solved every shimmering issue here!! 🙂 

Phillip Seedorff

Setup:
ASUS PRIME Z370-P i9 9900K 16GB-DDR4 nVidia RTX4070TI Win10 64 1909 PRO1863 USB earphones Artic7 Steel3 and s/pdif opt.7.1 surround Denon amp P3DV5.4/MSFS  ASP/ASCA ProATC/X  AIGAIM-OCI  Multimonitor setup

On 10/30/2017 at 6:25 AM, brucewtb said:

There should have been an initial caveat to this thread along the lines of "If you have a 1080ti gpu here is a fix for shimmering".  I would love to get rid of the very excessive shimmering in P3D compared with FSX but at 1400 Australian dollars for a 1080ti my 980ti bought just 14 months ago is going to have to do me for some time to come!

Bruceb

Likewise with 4k TVs/Monitors.( Mine is still 1080p).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, slimfly said:

Thank you my friend!

Those settings completely solved every shimmering issue here!! 🙂 

What settings? It's an old post, things evolved massively to me, nowadays I can use 8xMSAA without noticeable performance loss and the image quality is much better. There's mostly no aliasing and no irritating shimmering like before. My screen is 4k but it doesn't help really, like some might suppose, because it's huge, it's a 55 incher.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

14 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

What settings? It's an old post, things evolved massively to me, nowadays I can use 8xMSAA without noticeable performance loss and the image quality is much better. There's mostly no aliasing and no irritating shimmering like before. My screen is 4k but it doesn't help really, like some might suppose, because it's huge, it's a 55 incher.

Ha, okay sorry Wanthur, I accidentally quoted you instead of FlightSimDim 

On 4/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, FlightSimDimm said:

So once more thank you indeed, this time to you FlightSimDim 😉

(My specs. P3Dv4.5 through 3 times 49" Samsung Curved monitors on top of each other. nVidia 2080 / Intel i9)   

• Like 1

Phillip Seedorff

Setup:
ASUS PRIME Z370-P i9 9900K 16GB-DDR4 nVidia RTX4070TI Win10 64 1909 PRO1863 USB earphones Artic7 Steel3 and s/pdif opt.7.1 surround Denon amp P3DV5.4/MSFS  ASP/ASCA ProATC/X  AIGAIM-OCI  Multimonitor setup

On 4/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, FlightSimDimm said:

Those settings applies to P3Dv5 as well!

Thanks again my friend!

Edited by slimfly

Phillip Seedorff

Setup: