Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Change "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" dir

19 hours ago, virtuali said:

But you can't just be uniform, for uniformity's sake. Every scenery might have specific requirements you might not be entirely aware.

Fair point but since P3Dv4 was released I only found one instance of where both scenery and texture paths had to be provided:  FSDT KMEM before the update for P3Dv4 compatibility.  After the KMEM update, the separate paths no longer had to be provided.  I prefer the uniformity because it makes it easier for me to manage addons and when necessary isolate problems. I trust that if a scenery product has specific requirements then the developer will elucidate those in their documentation.

Dan Downs KCRP

21 hours ago, somiller said:

Are we sure that Global and World don't relate to the Global and World directories in P3D\Scenery?

XML doesn't relate (back) to folders, it only declares textures. I don't know how these two folders historically work (pre-XML)? What's global and what's world?

What Umberto said is that it could mean that only a .bgl (which isn't a simobject) might have access to that texture, were it declared as world.

I'm eager to find out - hope Umberto gets some definitive answer.

3 hours ago, SimonC said:

XML doesn't relate (back) to folders, it only declares textures. I don't know how these two folders historically work (pre-XML)? What's global and what's world?

What Umberto said is that it could mean that only a .bgl (which isn't a simobject) might have access to that texture, were it declared as world.

I'm eager to find out - hope Umberto gets some definitive answer.

Declaration of textures is accomplished by reference to a folder (directory), yes or no?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

5 hours ago, somiller said:

Declaration of textures is accomplished by reference to a folder (directory), yes or no?

If I understand your question correctly, I'd say no. Textures are declared, as in, "we are here, loaded, use us". They are loaded though FROM the folder (texture must reside somewhere). They don't reference to anything. Only the way they are declared determine who/what can use them.

That's my understanding. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

5 hours ago, SimonC said:

If I understand your question correctly, I'd say no. Textures are declared, as in, "we are here, loaded, use us". They are loaded though FROM the folder (texture must reside somewhere). They don't reference to anything. Only the way they are declared determine who/what can use them.

That's my understanding. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My point is that within add-on.xml, it is the reference to a directory that declares where the textures are located...otherwise, what's the point of having the path in the add-on.xml.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

7 hours ago, somiller said:

My point is that within add-on.xml, it is the reference to a directory that declares where the textures are located...otherwise, what's the point of having the path in the add-on.xml.

Yes, of course there is that reference, otherwise the .xml wouldn't know where to load the texture-file from. But you said relate to other folders, so that sounded wrong to me. I apologize if I misunderstood.

Hi to all if I create a symbolik link (junktion) from the origin "Prepar3d v4 Add-ons" to the target "D:/myaddon-p3d" I still have phisically the file on the origin folder. How can I move them? Have I to reinstall all the addons to works properly?

I mean, with symlink active, if I install a new addon it could phisically write files in "D:/myaddon-p3d" and read them in the origin folder, is it correct? I need symbolik link to save space on my C:/ disk.

thanks to all

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

All you need to do is a add a Discovery path - and you can have another location as addon directory.  Just like the way Orbx does with Orbx Central - with P3Dv4.

Lorby's Tool does it super easy.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

All you need to do is a add a Discovery path - and you can have another location as addon directory.  Just like the way Orbx does with Orbx Central - with P3Dv4.

Lorby's Tool does it super easy.

Hi Skywolf what do you mean for Discovery path? Can I create a directory using this: Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer?

With this tool is is possible to make all addons will install into my "D:/myaddon-p3d"?

Edited by riccardo74

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

51 minutes ago, riccardo74 said:

Hi Skywolf what do you mean for Discovery path? Can I create a directory using this: Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer?

With this tool is is possible to make all addons will install into my "D:/myaddon-p3d"?

What the discovery path does - it creates another location for Prepar3d to load up the sceneries from

For example - Orbx installs all sceneries into additional library location - and when P3D loads up - it also checks that directory.

Lets say you set the installation path to D:/myaddon-p3d and now you have to put your C:\usersname\documents\prepar3d-addons into the other directory and p3d will pick that up.  Infact it has now 2 locations

You have to use Lorby's tool - go to Discovery path or edit the add-ons.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

[DiscoveryPath.X]
Path=D:/myaddon-p3d
Title=You can Name it whatever you want
Active=TRUE

If you another Discoverpath in here (for example by Orbx) just increment the .X to 1 etc

First Disoverpath is usually a 0.

Hope it helps.

I love addon system - I barely lose time when Sim breaks down with third party - super easy to diagnose.  

Edited by Skywolf

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Thanks Skywolf, I created a new dir D:/myaddon-p3d and create Discovery Path to this dir with Lorby tool; this dir is empty obviuosly. Now I have to move manually from C:\...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files to D:\myaddon-p3d ?

Riccardo

11 minutes ago, riccardo74 said:

Thanks Skywolf, I created a new dir D:/myaddon-p3d and create Discovery Path to this dir with Lorby tool; this dir is empty obviuosly. Now I have to move manually from C:\...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files to D:\myaddon-p3d ?

You are talking about Files or Prepar3d v4 Addon-on  - I am assuming you meant addons directory.

Try moving one full addon - load up prepar3d and see what happens 😉 it should work great

Yes, I'm mean Prepar3d v4 Addon-on, in this directory are store some addon, so I have to move them manully into D:/myaddon-p3d ?

I find another way, move phisically C:/Documents folder via property tab to another driver but I don't know if it's safe.

I'll try your method.

Riccardo

Hey Skywolf works perfectly, thankyou very much. I moved all my addon and works fine. Many many thanks again.

• Like 1

Riccardo

OK guys - since this is a resurrected 3 year old post I'm locking it down - Start a new one if you have additional issues.

Thanx,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors