Sign in to follow this  
ParisianZee

An Ode to the MD11

I felt like I needed to say something to the PMDG team in recognition for their DNA which is that of absolutely outstanding products for the flight sim enthusiast.

I recently had to reinstall all my PMDG addons to update them, and decided that while I was at it, I might as well reinstall the MD11 even though it is no longer supported by PMDG.

Whilst I understand that the MD11 was a commercial failure both in real life and for its PMDG counterpart - it makes it no less of an incredible aircraft, a bundle of innovation way ahead of its time in terms of its systems and automations, only let down by an aging airframe and increasing oil prices that made it uneconomical to run.

Today I flew the MD11 again for the first time in maybe five years. And it was fantastic. Yes, the graphics have aged slightly. Yes, some pmdg innovations of recent years are absent that make it a slightly more quirky addon to use. But from a systems and programming perspective.. what a beast. It flew an approach into Gdańsk (don’t ask why) absolutely perfectly. Despite the winds the descent path was followed spot on, respecting speed and altitude constraints all the way down. The controls on Final approach were smooth and clean, and just after touchdown it really felt like you had to get some brakes on to slow the beast down from its (nowadays) unusually fast touchdown speed. 

If you ignore the slightly aged graphics in the (fully functional) 3D cockpit, this addon is still an outstanding product to spend hours and hours on, displaying that PMDG smooth DNA, which immerses you fully in the aircraft, completely suspending disbelief, because everything just works as it should. 

When I compare this to more recent addons, such as a certain 787 that has recently come out (and is a respectable product), it still blows them out of the water entirely. Give that aircraft a graphic refresh and you could sell it for a 100 bucks all over again. Though admittedly, no-one would buy it, because seemingly no-one really cares. Shame. It’s a beautiful, beautiful piece of machinery that MD11. Unlike that other certain 787, it’ll never blow through an altitude constraint. It’ll never display pounds instead of kilos. It’ll always show the right flap and approach speeds. It’ll always follow its flight director as it should. It’ll always make you feel like you truly are on that flight deck with tons of cargo behind you.

So I must say a big, enormous thank you to the PMDG team, veterans and newcomers, for the work they do. I never reached my dream of becoming an airline pilot. But PMDG’s product are as close as I’m ever gonna get, and it just feels like it’s pretty damn close. Whether I’m flying their 2009 vintage or their 2017 novelty, it just always feels just as close to the real thing. Can’t wait to see what’s next. 

• Upvote 27

You're certainly not alone in your love for the MD-11, many other people feel the same way about it as you do. I'd always found the MD-11 to be different, but in a good way, something different from your usual tube liners. Something about a tri-jet just makes it that much more beautiful. If they ever did change their minds and make an MD-11 v2, they'd certainly get my money the second it's released. Their MD-11 was truly ahead of its time, much like many of their products were, or are for that matter.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

You're certainly not alone in your love for the MD-11, many other people feel the same way about it as you do. I'd always found the MD-11 to be different, but in a good way, something different from your usual tube liners. Something about a tri-jet just makes it that much more beautiful. If they ever did change their minds and make an MD-11 v2, they'd certainly get my money the second it's released. Their MD-11 was truly ahead of its time, much like many of their products were, or are for that matter.

+++1

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ParisianZee said:

Though admittedly, no-one would buy it, because seemingly no-one really cares.

I would! :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

I agree with all the comments made above and am still mourning it's demise.  I continue since, to look forward to a new MD11 planned for X-Plane and being developed by a leading developer there.

• Upvote 2

Dave Taylor gb.png

Agree 100%!!! So many hours in that wonderful airplane! It was my first dive into a full systems aircraft for FS. I was not dissapointed. At firsdt there was so much to learn by as I got the hang of it, I was hooked!

There are some high res cockpit textures out there, just search around a little, While a little quirky, they do indeed breathe life into the ol' girl!.

I too would plop my money down on an updated version as well( P3Dv4 ??? anyone???)!!!

• Upvote 1

I'd plop money down for it as well without hesitation. Sadly these threads appear and... nada.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

3 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I'd plop money down for it as well without hesitation. Sadly these threads appear and... nada.

Indeed. Sad but true.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Curtis Smith said:

( P3Dv4 ??? anyone???)!!!

Wouldn't that be a dream come true!

The rumors I hear are about ex members of the team and contracts with the original developer of the model that make it impossible for PMDG to do it again. They claim it's sales numbers but I highly doubt the Jetstream 41 and DC-6 sold more - David Lee

• Upvote 5

I fully agree about the great MD11 needs a "re-birth". I am just installing my FSX versions of the 737NGX, the 777, the 747, and of course the MD11. Sadly, as no crossover deal from FSX to P3D by PMDG, these beauties will remain as FSX and cause me to retain a FSX machine just for them. If you fly FEDEX, you HAVE to have the MD11 flying. While I appreciate bandwidth costs money, I was disappointed when the MD11 liveries, among others, disappeared from PMDG site. 

• Upvote 3

Geoff Bryce

22 minutes ago, por930 said:

I fully agree about the great MD11 needs a "re-birth".

The song "I need a doctor" comes to mind. Someone put it over a Concorde tribute, but it works brilliantly with the MD-11 as well! Just bring her back to life!

24 minutes ago, por930 said:

If you fly FEDEX, you HAVE to have the MD11 flying.

Don't forget about UPS! Isn't FedEx's fleet just 777F and MD-11s? I've seen a 737 in their livery but I'm not sure if that was photoshop or not. Makes no difference as we don't have a 737 BCF from PMDG but maybe it'll make its debut in the new version of the NGX or possibly an expansion after the -8 is out. One can hope!

17 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Don't forget about UPS! Isn't FedEx's fleet just 777F and MD-11s? 

If you are referring to the real fleet.  FedEx flys 757,767, A300, MD-10, MD-11 and 777.  The 777 is the smallest of the fleets still unless they have retired more MD-10s as they phase them out for 767s.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries