Sign in to follow this  
ParisianZee

An Ode to the MD11

50 minutes ago, por930 said:

I have the MD11 on my Win7 machine, but the Win10 machine will not accept the MD11 install, though it does the 747??. 

That is very weird because I run Win-10 pro on my PC and the MD11 installed perfectly?

Maybe they've updated just the installer? try again?

Back in 2009, Schiphol was still swarming with MD-11's (look at full size picture)

MD-11.jpg

I still remember the noise they made, when they entered the gate..  :wacko:

• Upvote 3

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

18 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

The rumors I hear are about ex members of the team and contracts with the original developer of the model that make it impossible for PMDG to do it again. They claim it's sales numbers but I highly doubt the Jetstream 41 and DC-6 sold more - David Lee

True, but i don't see the reason for PMDG not making it again, from the scratch(not using old model / code). I belive PMDG and "the other developer" can just talk about this, and i would be pleased with an updated or new version of MD11, developed by one of them.

BTW, which survey?

11 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Fingers crossed that PMDG will change mind, i hope that recent Kyle's survey was not just to tease us :biggrin:

I was thinking about this one

But made a mistake, i thought it was started by Kyle - or maybe it was wishful thinking from my side ... ( look at my avatar :biggrin: )

Anyhow - sorry for confusion.

Artur 

12 hours ago, ParisianZee said:

That is very weird because I run Win-10 pro on my PC and the MD11 installed perfectly?

Maybe they've updated just the installer? try again?

My version of the MD11 is the DVD version. I have three machines. Both the Win10 machines refuse to load the MD11. Of course, my old Win7 machine has no issues...meaning in the future when this machine dies, I will load the new machine with Win7.

Every so often, a military version of the DC10 flies over my place on final for YBBN...A very noisy girl, and stands out from the modern pack of quieted a/c .

• Upvote 1

Geoff Bryce

6 hours ago, lodestar said:

True, but i don't see the reason for PMDG not making it again, from the scratch(not using old model / code). I belive PMDG and "the other developer" can just talk about this, and i would be pleased with an updated or new version of MD11, developed by one of them.

BTW, which survey?

The rumor is something about the original contract they do not own the rights to the model and cannot make a new one but that is just a rumor - David Lee

I had it for FS2004 in boxed version and then got it for FSX.   I haven't flown it in a long time but that is only because of time constraints etc.   I am a Boeing die-hard fan.   This aircraft is more like a 'Bus than a Boeing in many respects, but I still love it.   

In fact, I would still recommend anyone to buy it in it's current state if this is something your are interested in.   Marvelous aircraft.   I have always wondered if PMDG cannot just give some developer the rights just to do a texture overall on it.   That would be awesome, but still, lovely aircraft and still a favourite to fly.

Regards

19 hours ago, ParisianZee said:

+1. I've also no problem running in Win-10.

15 hours ago, rheinis said:

Back in 2009, Schiphol was still swarming with MD-11's (look at full size picture)

They were even up to a couple of years ago when I was last at Schipol. They're fantastic planes to look at on the ramp. For me the best looking are the KLM's, Lufthansa's and Martinair's. The bronzed cones (exhaust splitters?) at the engine outlets seem to add distinction to the plane.  

Bernard Walford

Loved the MD11 but it sits abandoned along with its decrepit platform FSX.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, walfob said:

+1. I've also no problem running in Win-10.

Hi Bernard, I recall Googling it and it seemed that I needed to do some serious changes to my system to convince Win10, that the old MD11 installer was trusted. Like so many of our PC set ups, they are usually similar as most of them run most programs, but in some areas, they are very different for what ever reason.

With my FSX machine, I very rarely had a problem with OOM and would have been happy to continue with it, other than the constant kernel errors shutting it down mid flight causing me to re-machine with P3Dv4. Which I must add is great, other than difficult populating it with a/c and sceneries...though, this is steadily improving.  

Geoff Bryce

3 hours ago, por930 said:

Hi Bernard, I recall Googling it and it seemed that I needed to do some serious changes to my system to convince Win10, that the old MD11 installer was trusted. Like so many of our PC set ups, they are usually similar as most of them run most programs, but in some areas, they are very different for what ever reason.

With my FSX machine, I very rarely had a problem with OOM and would have been happy to continue with it, other than the constant kernel errors shutting it down mid flight causing me to re-machine with P3Dv4. Which I must add is great, other than difficult populating it with a/c and sceneries...though, this is steadily improving.  

Hi Geoff, I should have more correctly said, I don't have any problems now with Win-10, but I had no end of problems when it first installed itself on my machine. I had no end of grief re-configuring my set up and systems to the extent that it almost brought my flight simming career to a full stop. I can't fully recollect all the re-configuring it took to hook everything back up, but it's buried somewhere in this forum. The greatest problems arose due to system incompatibility with Win-10 (sound cards, graphics cards etc,etc) and I had to disconnect them, or use my on board cards. 

Much as this forum seems to be developing into, I don't have P3Dv4. It seems to me it would make all the system I have at present (set-up,aircraft, scenery and weather radar etc) in FSX obsolete; and I'm not prepared for the time and expense of purchasing everything anew. Besides judging by the number of problems this forum throws up about P3Dv4, I'd much prefer to stay with the system I've got.      

Bernard Walford

I stopped flying the MD-11 once the 737 got upgraded with terrain and weather radar. I couldn't go back and fly the MD-11 because not having those things makes flying unrealistic. And the cockpit textures are mirrored on the left and right so I painted a registration plate like Lufthansa Cargo have but on the first officers side it is upsidedown. I guess I am going to buy Xplane once the rotatesim md-11 releases.  - David Lee

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

I guess I am going to buy Xplane once the rotatesim md-11 releases.  - David Lee

Hmm, this XP9 and XPX owner was not aware of this product.  I too will watch for this and ponder XP11 though my simmiing star is firmly hitched to 64 bit P3D.

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

I stopped flying the MD-11 once the 737 got upgraded with terrain and weather radar. I couldn't go back and fly the MD-11 because not having those things makes flying unrealistic. And the cockpit textures are mirrored on the left and right so I painted a registration plate like Lufthansa Cargo have but on the first officers side it is upsidedown. I guess I am going to buy Xplane once the rotatesim md-11 releases.  - David Lee

Maintenance Deferral for Wx Radar and GPWS.  Your DMI#: 18235 and 18236.  Wx Radar is B on the 747...so give ya three days.  And the GPWS is within a few flights.  But fear not.  Mx promises whatever voodoo they do will fix the problems....but you'll soon discover whatever they did did not actually fix anything.  So they'll defer them again.  
There, fixed the realism problem for ya.  Nothing is more realistic than having those stupid stickers on the flight deck and maintenance promising they "fixed" something.  :-D

• Upvote 6

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I can't help feeling hope everytime i see a new MD-11 thread. There's no better looking heavy jet in the world.

Well, maybe the DC-10 :P

• Upvote 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11