Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Current verdict on UTXv2 vs Global+Vector+openLC

Hello,

I know there are lots of posts about this, some though very old. Both products advanced since then (supposedly...).

I am currently combining UTXv2 with openLC and Global.

I am thinking of getting Vector, however I am afraid of losing a lot of detail.

There are cities and surroundings I know somewhat better, and UTX maybe here does a better job, simply because it's lesser area, with more detail, I don't know...

I can't combine both, so I must decide.

I also mostly fly in Europe, sometimes USA, but rarely over the pond or somewhere else, mostly due to time needed (4hrs+ flights), is what I usually cannot put into daily schedule.

Does Vector integrate better with Global and openLC? Does it have other advantages? Honestly, I dislike the "oldness" of UTX.

I can't test Vector, so I would have to buy it, and just to buy it to test it, well, €50 is a lot.

The ease of having all 3 titles controlled through FTX is worth it alone in my opinion. I also prefer vector lights - UTX never seemed to be as bright nor ever give you that wonderful view of roads stretching off to the horizon at night and around coastlines, like Vector seems to. I used UTX for many years but pleased i switched for P3D v4.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I had both in a similar setup. Eventually removed Vector and stayed with UTX. Better performance and better visuals IMHO.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Rich, I share your thoughts about lights. I have weird problems with UTXv2, my rural roads are blue (or light grey, if I disable imprint), which looks weird at night, and one of the hopes are to have better night lighting. Also like the idea about the interface, as I actually always disliked the UTX interface, which is nowadays outdated. At least by the looks.

Vic, thanks - I do wonder if this is from the times of pre-v4, where we were very worried about VAS, or was it performance, like stutters and higher/lower fps?

5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I have weird problems with UTXv2, my rural roads are blue (or light grey, if I disable imprint), which looks weird at night, and one of the hopes are to have better night lighting.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug that is experienced by select users and was identified and a patch made available to fix it some time ago (like a couple of years). 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Just now, odourboy said:

I'm pretty sure this is a bug that is experienced by select users and was identified and a patch made available to fix it some time ago (like a couple of years). 

Weird. I have the newest installation available from F1. I'll contact them.

Had nothing to do with VAS. I have two systems now, one set with UTX/GEX and the other with FTX/Vector. I check back and forth and still prefer UTX to vector both visually and performance wise. I have a feeling that somewhere down the road there will be some important changes to Vector - until then IO'm staying with UTX.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have both, and I'm on the fence with this one. Like Vic, I'm a little concerned about FPS performance with vector, though I haven't tested this properly to back up my concerns/suspicions.

If anyone has quantified frame rate with default versus vector versus UTX, I'd be interested to know your results.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I got Vector yesterday. Right now I can say night lighting is better in Vector, it sure looks more realistic, light bulbs and roads look better. Less detailed, but I question how important is that, given I fly mostly A320, 737, 777 and 747.

Apart from that, I got about 60fps flying around big cities, same with Vector. Same settings, but I reinstalled the sim, I wanted to test the new add-on.xml system. Gotta start transitioning to that completely. FSL didn't work though. Had to reinstall it.