Sign in to follow this  

Fove: https://www.getfove.com/. It has slightly better screen resolution than the Rift and Vive but its biggest advantage is that, as well as head tracking, it also uses eye tracking via a series of tiny cameras around the eye pieces so it only needs high resolution where you're actually looking. SteamVR drivers coming soon, apparently.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Tx hiflyer!

A demo is certainly better than nothing. But what I would really really like, is to have a 'Guide' that tells me 'you must first download this software then installit; then download that software, install it,..., then call up the settings page of [e. g. FlyInside] and choose following settings; then put on your VR HMD and you will find...'

That way, I could know that I did everything in the right order (if one is advisable) and installed the right software using the right settings. Instead of finding out all by myself by trial-and-error. There is enough of that, still, with P3D 

Volker

On 26/02/2017 at 2:32 PM, vortex681 said:

Fove: https://www.getfove.com/. It has slightly better screen resolution than the Rift and Vive but its biggest advantage is that, as well as head tracking, it also uses eye tracking via a series of tiny cameras around the eye pieces so it only needs high resolution where you're actually looking. SteamVR drivers coming soon, apparently.

Another Chinese "thing", with this kind of resolution is going to be a nice powerpoint reader.

HTC already stated that with the current graphics card's available in the market is useless to make the second version of the Vive with a higher resolution, any other attempt of that at the current time is a big step to failure.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

17 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Another Chinese "thing", with this kind of resolution is going to be a nice powerpoint reader.

HTC already stated that with the current graphics card's available in the market is useless to make the second version of the Vive with a higher resolution, any other attempt of that at the current time is a big step to failure.

It's Japanese, apparently. I watched a review of it on a TV show. The big advantage is that it only needs to make the area of the display you're actually looking at high resolution so reducing GPU load.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Don't write off fove as a cheap copy headset. It is another ground breaking device that pushes realism and immersion to a new level. Nice reasoned review here.

https://virtualrealitypop.com/a-first-look-at-fove-the-worlds-first-eye-tracking-vr-headset-705717997aa0

Lol, it is not cheap at 600 bucks. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Actually the point of eye tracking is not "to kill enemies aiming with your eyes" but render where your eyes are looking at  leaving the corner out of focus (like real life). So the GPUs are not loaded with a full render of a scenery that you don´t even see clearly. And this Fove thing looks like can only "aim with your eyes".

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Does anyone here actually have the FOVE yet?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

18 hours ago, warbirds said:

Does anyone here actually have the FOVE yet?

I believe that it's shipped, and there are user reviews out there, but as far as I know, no simmer(s) have tried it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, chass32 said:

Actually the point of eye tracking is not "to kill enemies aiming with your eyes" but render where your eyes are looking at  leaving the corner out of focus (like real life). So the GPUs are not loaded with a full render of a scenery that you don´t even see clearly. And this Fove thing looks like can only "aim with your eyes".

If that is what you think then try reading the review I posted.....

"The Experience

After the calibration I went right into a demo where I was able to instantly use depth of field in VR. Let me be the first (okay probably not the first) to say this is awesome. Seriously, it takes the whole experience to a new level when you see the background blur as you focus on an object in front of you. Yes, this is how your eyes work in real life which absolutely makes the VR experience a lot more real.

Of course this isn’t the first thing most people think of when they think of eye control. Like most of you, I thought that eye control meant using my eyes to shoot out laser beams out of my (don’t worry you can still do that) but depth of field is a killer feature and IMHO a game-changer for VR experiences.

Making a VR experience true-to-life means a lot of things, it means a high enough frame rate to avoid lost frames when you turn your head. It also means walking like a human if you’re a human, seeing your hands, seeing you legs, all the little things that you would normally expect in your normal life, simulated through VR. Depth of field should be on this list because this single feature brings us a giant step forward when it comes to simulating how we as humans experience the world."

Chris

8 hours ago, tutmeister said:

"The Experience

After the calibration I went right into a demo where I was able to instantly use depth of field in VR. Let me be the first (okay probably not the first) to say this is awesome. Seriously, it takes the whole experience to a new level when you see the background blur as you focus on an object in front of you. Yes, this is how your eyes work in real life which absolutely makes the VR experience a lot more real.

Oh sorry, my fault then. But I`m not sure if they use the tecnic that Oculus and Vive have been looking for so long (render only what´s in focus). Looks like more an improvement on depth of field than the huge benefits of rendering a small part of scenery (We could have a huge improvement on fps with that). Anyway, it´s an improvement nevertheless.

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

11 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Where is this review?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

On 10/08/2017 at 10:26 AM, tutmeister said:

Don't write off fove as a cheap copy headset. It is another ground breaking device that pushes realism and immersion to a new level. Nice reasoned review here.

https://virtualrealitypop.com/a-first-look-at-fove-the-worlds-first-eye-tracking-vr-headset-705717997aa0

Chris

4 hours ago, chass32 said:

But I`m not sure if they use the tecnic that Oculus and Vive have been looking for so long (render only what´s in focus).

I think they are the same thing, foveated rendering. It's just oculus/Vive only do it through head movement and assumptions on where you are looking. This actually knows where you are looking because it tracks your eyes.

The depth of field talked about goes hand in hand with the lower detail in the bits you aren't focussing on.

Early days but eventually eye tracking will be more mainstream I think.

Chris